News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

SV650 Front Suspension Question

Started by Wolfie109, July 07, 2006, 09:20:12 PM

Wolfie109

I have a question regarding the amount of fork oil for a 2001 sv650s. The forks have racetech springs and emulators if that happens to matter. The manuals say 16 oz. in each leg which seems kind of alot to me. Can anyone say if this is correct or should it be less.

dylanfan53

With springs out, emulators in and the fork fully compressed the oil level should be 120 to 125 mm (according to your taste) from the top of the fork tube (not the top of the cap).   Don't forget to pump the forks a few times to get the air out before reassembly.

P.S. You're right about 16 oz in each leg being too much.  One bottle will suffice for both forks with a little left over IIRC.
Don Cook
CCS #53

Wolfie109

Thanks for that measurement, but i was hoping someone might be able to tell me an actual amount in ounces.

Super Dave

Do it by a measurement.  Each assembled leg can potentially have a different interior volume.  What you're trying to control is, basically, the volume of air in each leg.  One can put the same amount of oil in each leg, but have a different oil height.

Super Dave

Wolfie109

Thank you both, that helps me understand better.

DAmico

Dave
that is the best, easiest explaination of why to measure the height ever.

catman

hey wolfie  you bought? that was good!hope to see ya at summit in sept 9-10!john just south of you :thumb: