Something to bring up at the next rider's meeting

Started by Jeff, July 05, 2006, 09:07:08 AM

cbirk

This is what happens when a sport grows as fast as this one has been growing. Everyone wants a bike these days and everyone thinks they can go fast w/out experience...Some peoples brains are just numb to logic, though no matter what reason its sad to see anyone get hurt or k.i.a..

catman

Getting ahead of any learning curve in this sport spells disaster sometimes-Newbies in any "extreme sport" need a lil lookin after! Great ideas/posts Chris and Spyderone! John in NJ

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote from: spyderchick on July 17, 2006, 02:33:27 PM
So you could potentially wind up with this scenario:
* Rider who goes and buys a litre bike
* Rides it on the street for a few months
* Decides that to be cool they wants to race
* Goes to a licensing clinic, never races
* Obtains race license
* Signs up for track day, want to be ut in advanced based on said license
* Chaos insues

$125 for a race license just to be able to ride a faster track day group?  Nah.  Can't see it.  A bigger problem is the guys who sign up a group or two low because the group they wanted is sold out.  Now they become bullys, and a danger to everyone.  An intermediate rider trying to remake the novice group to his liking is a very bad situation, but it has surely happened.  People have been thrown out for it as well.
Most AM racers should start as intermediate riders anyhow.  If they can run expert times, then thyey should be advanced.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

dylanfan53

Somewhere in the whining about liter bikes you all forgot that the cause of the two fatalities was a newbie apparently crossing the track to exit improperly.  Haven't we all seen that problem before? Now you're going to solve it with new rules that have nothing to do with the problem. 

Now it's my turn to get on the soapbox...  :preachon:
Quit picking on "mid life" crisis themes.  I get it all the time and I'm sooooo bloody tired of hearing it.  I've been riding and screwing around on every type of bike under the sun since I was 13 years old.  I've always ridden for the love of it.  Now, just because I'm older people tell me I'm having a mid life crisis?  If I were having a mid life crisis I'd be riding a 24 yr old blonde with a firm @%& and great $&$# and an insatiable appetite for more than pizza.  That's a mid life crisis. 

Now back to you're regularly scheduled programming...
Don Cook
CCS #53

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote from: dylanfan53 on July 18, 2006, 12:01:54 AM
Now you're going to solve it with new rules that have nothing to do with the problem. 

Yeah, this thread did kinda turn a corner.  And let's keep in mind that one of the two fatalities was an experienced racer who got caught up in a newbie's mistake.  I guess we started on the 1000cc theme because the guys who usually make the most boneheaded mistakes at a trackday usually started the chain of judgement errors by buying a litterbike.

Quit picking on me.   I've been screwing since I was 13 years old.
Me too!  But even then I was having a mid life crisis.  You see, everyone predicted that I'd never see thirty, so my life at age 13 was already essentially half over.  I just wanted to make sure I got my share of mid life crisis before it was too late!  Who'd have thought I'd last THIS LONG?

Now, just because I'm older people tell me I'm having a mid life crisis?  If I were having a mid life crisis I'd be riding a 24 yr old blonde with a firm @%& and great $&$# and an insatiable appetite for more than pizza.  That's a mid life crisis. 

Don, when you find a woman like that who wants you, call me!  I'll be your wingman and ride shotgun on her friends! :thumb:
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

HAWK

It seems that it is getting too easy to get on the track, be it racing or trackdays. As was pointed out quite correctly by Alexa, anyone can buy a sport bike and go to learning curves and buy a racing license. I attended learning curves last year after attending 5 trackdays and wondered if I was ready or not. I found out at the classroom session that half of my classmates had never turned a wheel on a race track. Chris you point out the riders that show up and demand to be moved into the next group, clearly things have gotten to the point that people seem to feel some entitlement. Maybe some lessons could be learned from the progressive licensing of 16-18 year olds (cars not motorcycles) that is saving lives on the streets.

Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

K3 Chris Onwiler

It's interesting.  I moved from 50cc on up to 400 cc over a period of years and bikes as a dirt rider.  Then as a street rider I moved from 650cc on up to 1100cc, again over a period of years and bikes.  My first experience on track was aboard my ZX11 at Keith Code.  My second time on-track was learning curves, and I was rolling a race-prepped EX500.  Again over a period of years and lots of experimentation, I've found 750cc to be the perfect size for me at the track.
Each time I tried a new dicipline, I started small.  Dad broke me in this way on dirt bikes, and I guess I saw the value of it.  No one else has chosen my bikes for me since, but I keep following the formula, and it has worked.
It seems to me that any rider will crash any motorcycle that he rides.  My current bike is the only one I've ever owned that I haven't tossed down the road or at least dropped, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time.  The difference is that by graduating from small to medium to large, at least you're less likely to make a mistake that is catastrophic.
This weekend I used an analogy with a student who spoke limited English.  Yes, gestures and sound effects were involved.  My student very much understood my point.
"When you first try machine gun, no one in room safe!  You practice, all bullets start to hit just one wall.  Practice more, all bullets hit target.  THEN you get bigger machine gun!"

spyderchick

Somewhere in the whining about liter bikes you all forgot that the cause of the two fatalities was a newbie apparently crossing the track to exit improperly.  Haven't we all seen that problem before? Now you're going to solve it with new rules that have nothing to do with the problem.

That's true, but part of the problem lies in that most of these track day peeps are showing up on litre bikes

Now it's my turn to get on the soapbox...  :preachon:
Quit picking on "mid life" crisis themes.  I get it all the time and I'm sooooo bloody tired of hearing it.  I've been riding and screwing around on every type of bike under the sun since I was 13 years old.  I've always ridden for the love of it.  Now, just because I'm older people tell me I'm having a mid life crisis?  If I were having a mid life crisis I'd be riding a 24 yr old blonde with a firm @%& and great $&$# and an insatiable appetite for more than pizza.  That's a mid life crisis. 

Now back to you're regularly scheduled programming...

LOL, Don you should meet my mailman and my neighbor. I could name a dozen of these same kind of guys. Besides, you guys are exceptions in that you actually follow your "dreams" to do something you love. Mid life crisis? Nah, guys like you are measured in "Childhoods" So you're one your 3rd or 4th childhood.  :biggrin:

Oh, and those guys riding 24 yr olds instead of something with two wheels are missing half of the eqation, and they envy you.  :cheers:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

catman

Thats a definitely important (learning curve) point of staying ok on bikes thru life K3- I was lucky to grow up in a suzuki kaw shop late 60s ,70s  mostly mastering a 50,90 125 200,....I watched many since get hurt and cannot ride anymore.. If you think about learning  curves and apply them to as many situations as possible, you get some benefit usually to ride longer=ride better. SAFETY FIRST!    :thumb: john in nj-(thanks for the tire info...etc etc etc

dylanfan53

Quote from: spyderchick on July 18, 2006, 09:51:08 AM
Oh, and those guys riding 24 yr olds instead of something with two wheels are missing half of the eqation, and they envy you.  :cheers:

I'll keep telling myself that...  :biggrin:
Don Cook
CCS #53

spyderchick

Quote from: dylanfan53 on July 19, 2006, 11:39:41 PM
I'll keep telling myself that...  :biggrin:

You know, if you rode a 24 yr old motorcycle...you could be on to something... :biggrin:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

K3 Chris Onwiler

Don's riding a Buell now, so technologically speaking.... :ass: :thumb: