News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Rules Question

Started by MightyDuc Racing, January 12, 2003, 08:34:30 AM

MightyDuc Racing

Roadracing World reported a few rule changes this month for CCS.  One of them said that the Lightweight Grand Prix restrictions on Air-Cooled Twins had changed.  What are the actual rules for 2003 in that class?  I have a 944cc Air-Cooled Duc with a custom frame and it runs on DOT's.  Am I legal for Lightweight or Middleweight GP this year?  Thanks in advance.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

TZ_Boy

Twin cylinder air-cooled up to 1000 cc's for your Duke.  Buell's are allowed 1210 cc's because they have push-rod's.  What Region are you in?  You can run slick's in all GP classes.
GP machines are "unresrticted in all areas" as long as they pass tech.

MightyDuc Racing

I am in the Florida region.  Are slicks that much better than the Dunlop DOT's?  I have 207's and 208's, and a set of Metzelers too.  I think I should be able to be pretty competitive in that class when I get a bit better.  My bike is very fast.  I was pleasantly surprised at Jennings Saturday.  It smoked a 748, a new 999, and a couple RC51's in the straights.  I was able to ride right past them.  We'll see how fast it is when it's a real race, though.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Nate R

From what I've been told, the feedback on slicks is immensely better than DOTs. The grip isn't significantly better, but you have a lot better idea of what's going on, so you can use more of that grip better.

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

james-redsv

If you walked away from a 748, 999 and an RC51 on your 944, thoses guys werent on the gas.  ;D Lets see how you do against SV650s in the LWGP class :P We are in the 1.25-30 range at NFMP with bike that can race in the SS class :D, you have some more work to do. 8)

MightyDuc Racing

I am sure that the guy on the 748 was on the gas, unfortunately for me  ;D this isn't drag racing...lol.  I was very tentative on corner entry.  I don't expect to be running with the leaders any time too soon, but hopefully by the end of the season I can give you guys some competition.  It was a stock 748 and 999, but they both came over after our session and told me they were wide open.  I definitely appreciate the lap time info so I at least have something to shoot at.  Be sure to come say hello at Homestead if you're gonna be there, I have a white frame and white wheels with red 916 bodywork...will be AM #298 if I nobody takes that number before the 8th.  See you there!
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

james-redsv

Those guys might have said they were wide open on the 748 and 999 but they werent. If they happen to be wide open they were in the wrong gear. I have a 748 as well as an SV and it will run 155+mph down the front straight at Roebling and a 1.22 lap. They were blaming the bike for not being as fast as you, they should have blamed themselfs.

MightyDuc Racing

LOL...and I was running in the mid to upper 1:30's...lol.  I was only able to get one good session in and about 6 other hot laps.  Just as I was starting to get more comfortable and a little later on the brakes, I had carb problems.  We tried adjusting it, but couldn't get it right guessing and had to give up and head home to fix it right.  Are you gonna be at Homestead, or do you stay up north?
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

Baltobuell

Sorry to burst the bubble but LWGP is limited to 1,000cc for pushrod in 2003 and twin cyl air cooled is 800cc as of 2002. Looks like you're a middleweight if I'm understanding it right.

TZ_Boy

According to the 2003 mailer I just received.  New CCS rules for 2003 state.  LGP Twin cylinder,air cooled, up to 1000cc.  According to the rule book I have which I beleive is a 2001 ,twin cylinder air cooled push-rod up to 1210cc.  What size is a stock Buell?  The one's I race against smoke more than my 2-stroke which would lead me to beleive they are big bore. ::)  

Baltobuell

What are you doing behind a smoking Buell?:)
 The old tube frame Buells are 1200cc, the new XB9R with the aluminum frames come as 1000cc
 This is really the first year for them and it should be intresting as I hear they handel unbelieveably well. The new ones should be outrunning their older brothers because of the weight advantage. they also use the same bore just a shorter strock so they'll rev higher. Look out SV guys, the lightweight classes may have some good competittion.

MightyDuc Racing

Anybody know what kind of lap times are run in LWGP at Jennings?  Just curious.  My bike is a little under 300 lbs and has just over 90hp...if I ever learn to ride it fast, will it be competitive?  Just curious.
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

TZ_Boy

QuoteWhat are you doing behind a smoking Buell?:)
 The old tube frame Buells are 1200cc, the new XB9R with the aluminum frames come as 1000cc
 This is really the first year for them and it should be intresting as I hear they handel unbelieveably well. The new ones should be outrunning their older brothers because of the weight advantage. they also use the same bore just a shorter strock so they'll rev higher. Look out SV guys, the lightweight classes may have some good competittion.
I was only behind for a short time but could see the smoke a long way off. ;D  Actually there are some fast Buell's in the mid-west, and they already are good competition in the Lightweight Class.  But it does seem odd to me that a 1200cc bike with a big bore pushed to the 1300cc range should be considered Lightweight especially racing against a small defenseless 250. ::)

Baltobuell

They've been hashing that out on the Buell board for years.
  Reality is the issue. Normally, guys that run a  Buell X1 with a race kit, put out about 90 hp and weighs in at about 450 lbs. Your TZ has WHAT and weighs WHAT! :o
  In the big time moto gp 500cc limit for 2 strokes, 1000cc for 4 stroke. Heck look at Suzuki, SV's are 650's and they can't run with their own 600's nobody thinks that's odd because they are different engine configurations.
  The kink is, the serious guys can pump those puppies up if they spend some money (as in $5K not 5mil) and it sort of makes it another bike. The REAL Thunderbikes are pushing 120hp. For a weekend Buell guy, CCS is very cool with setting limits. Spend the big dough, race a different class. Once your out of stock displacment, you gotta run with the 600s.
  I'll admit though, when I'm cranking out of a corner and listining to a 2 stroker ducking under me, it just don't seem right.

MightyDuc Racing

How much does an SV generally weigh in at?  Anybody know?
MightyDuc Racing
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:

chris_chops

MDR,
Your bike sounds awesome! ;D    If you remember, I raced a two-valver for five years.  I want to see a picture of it, got any?

Matt  carr@onebox.com