The color yellow

Started by vale46, June 19, 2006, 11:29:56 AM

HAWK

I was indirectly in involved in a similar issue last month at BFH, The tech individual did not like someones plate color (which BTW VERY much resembled this guy, :ahhh: and then pointed at my bike and said that color yellow. Now the paint I use is almost orange but seems to be prefered. What I can safely say is that my plates are certainly not "Primary Color Yellow" but seem to be prefered by tech. BTW if you look at the crayola color chart http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/pub/networks/pajek/doc/crayola.pdf My "tech prefered" plates are actually Goldenrod.

I realize that the timing and scoring people have a difficult job and that issues like this can make that job even harder but I think that a DQ is pretty harsh considering there didn't seem to be agreement between the various officials. I think the earlier suggestion  of a color chip card like any paint store uses, with a range (BTW I think an acceptable RANGE is important, otherwise no ones plates will be legal) of acceptable yellow, is a good idea, especially if the consequences are DQ.  Then just hold the color card up to the plate, anywhere, any light and the plate is clearly legal or it is not. Color is just soooo subjective.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Burt Munro

Maybe Pantone Yellow from this chart would be a good starting point........

http://www.logodesignworks.com/pantone_color_chart.htm

As far as I know the Pantone color charting system is one of the most universally accepted color matching systems out there.  It was specifically designed to avoid problems such as this in matching graphic presentation colors.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

cbirk

Great, I have to paint my number plates  within the next couple weeks. What is a guy to do?  :ahhh: The Pantone Yellow and the golden rod yellow are more MUSTARD than YELLOW.  :wtf: and they like that?  I would be soooo unhappy if I got the boot for such a trivial reason....

HAWK

That was my point YZF, I would recommend that you use the Pantone Yellow or the Goldenrod. Until someone makes a move to define what CCS is looking for this seems to be what they want. I have seen several people scolded or told to change their plate before they could race for very bright yellow plates. Stay toward the "Mustard" or orangish side of yellow.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

spyderchick

See? This is where light comes into it, because the Pantone is reading a basic mid-tone yellow on my computer, no mustard undertone at all, so the monitor you use can be a handicap as well.  :rollseyes:   What's a rider to do?  :ahhh:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Mongo

I'm curious - why the banning of fluorescent yellow (which does tend towards a green tint)?  Because I've been very very tempted over the years to change our rules to require the fuorescent yellow color rather than the normal schoolbus/John Deere yellow since it's mcuh easier for the scorers to read which helps when the numbers themselves are sketchy.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

Jeff

OR, we could just get electronic scoring...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

GrecianFormula40

Quote from: Burt Munro on June 20, 2006, 07:39:16 AM
I know the 'shade of yellow' issue has been going on for years.  And I have known of this specific situation for the last 2 seasons (even involved with it in a humoress way!)

Can't comment on the action taken at Topeka other than to say it probally could have been handled better.

Randy, I'm really sorry this ended up the way it did! :kicknuts:

I told Larry that I couldn't believe that he DQ'd me for yella plates, he said I'd get over it and I will. I had my fun with Larry for a while but it had to end, just disappointed that it was done in this manner. But thanks for endorsing the Official CCS Yeller Rick!
CCS EX GP #181

GrecianFormula40

Quote from: Jeff on June 20, 2006, 06:38:09 PM
OR, we could just get electronic scoring...

I understand that Laya had the proper CCS yella plates at ROC but was DQ'd because his transponder malfunctioned during the race. He had clearly won his championship race by a large margin but the backup manual scoring didn't matter.
CCS EX GP #181

GrecianFormula40

Quote from: Mongo on June 20, 2006, 06:06:59 PM
I'm curious - why the banning of fluorescent yellow (which does tend towards a green tint)?  Because I've been very very tempted over the years to change our rules to require the fuorescent yellow color rather than the normal schoolbus/John Deere yellow since it's mcuh easier for the scorers to read which helps when the numbers themselves are sketchy.

Hmmm, maybe I won't have to repaint my plates after all?
CCS EX GP #181

cbirk

I suppose bringing the can of yellow paint with YELLOW written on it and arguing with them wouldn't help either would it. (probably make things worse)

tstruyk

you better have to repaint next year.... grumblegrumblesandbaggingrumblegrumble  :cheers:

could have been handled differnt, I feel for ya ray ray!
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"