The color yellow

Started by vale46, June 19, 2006, 11:29:56 AM

vale46

This weekend at topeka  a guy was disqualified for not having the proper color of yellow on his number plates. I read the ccs rule book and it does not specify a certain color like john deere yellow. I also have the same color as he does which is called house of color yellow and it is a very bright yellow. When the number plates are either white or yellow I don't understand why they can't tell the difference. They tell me it looks green. Could someone clarify this for me. If they are going to be that particular specify in the rule book a yellow paint code that is acceptable
CCS #58
2008 Sponsors Burke Engineering, Lithium Motorsports, Monster Energy, Iowa City Motorsports, Vortex,  Leo Vince
Lockhart Phillips, Pirelli

KBOlsen

White is white, yellow is yellow, and chartreuse is NOT yellow.  If it has a greenish tint, it is NOT yellow.  If it is "pale yellow", it is not YELLOW.  Similarly, if it is beige, cream or ivory, it is not WHITE.

Colors other than plain YELLOW can be very difficult for cornerworkers, scorers or other officials to differentiate when the bike is traveling at speed.  I invite you to come up to the 'bridge to see firsthand the difference and importance of having the proper numbers/background on your bike.

:)
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

spyderchick

Think crayola-crayon yellow. Period. Been bust for having a bright lemon yellow, they made us repaint.  :rollseyes: :biggrin:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

tstruyk

why pass through at tech and THEN DQ?  why not meatball if scorers cant read it or are having a problem with it?

I understand the delima, and can appreciate the trouble scorers have... but c'mon.  It took him 2 mins to tape some "official CCS Yella" tape over his "optic yellow" paint.  If he had known he would have been DQ'd he probably would have fixed the problem.

tough pill to swallow when you not only pay to race but lose contingency money... maybe I dont have all the facts... not looking to debate it, just thinking there is a better solution.

"change the color and we'll pass you" works better than "I hate that color, here's your tech sticker/sorry your DQ'd"

if someone is missing a belly pan or safety wire they arent passed... if they are missing a number plate no go... I have had to re-tech for forgeting my number on my helmet... this could have been avoided at many different levels.
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

cardzilla

Wow, that sucks.  DQ'd for plates!?  I agree, why not say something at tech.

Also, let's remember that colors are relative.  What I see as "yellow" and what another sees can possibly be totally different.  Throughout life we tend to hone are color definitions based on comparisons of what others think, but differences do exist.  I am an expert on yellow and all it's variations, I can see how some of them would be very tough to read numbers on.  Maybe they should print a range in the rulebook for someone to take to the paint aisle.

Makes one more reason to strive for expert status... not too many disputes on what is white.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

funsizeracing

They need to be more specific in the rulebook.  They left it open for interpretation.  If they don't specify it's thier own fault, not the racers.
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Jeff

I would protest it if they passed you through tech.  Unfortunately now is too late... (and I am not sure if tech issues are protestable)

If they pass you through tech, you should be allowed to run it.  If you were to fail tech, you at least had an opportunity to put some yellow duct tape on it and new numbers.

And yellow is yellow.  There is no interpretation.  If you're painting it with ANYTHING that has a green tint, etc, it's a SHADE of yellow, or a yellow blend.  It's not "yellow".  Try the can with "YELLOW" as the color name.  Nothing else! 

How the hell do you get more specific than "YELLOW" or "WHITE"? 

This IS the fault of the racer.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

tstruyk

I believe he questioned why it passed tech if it wasnt legal... but dont want to confuse facts.  Maybe randy can jump in and give his side.

my point is simply noone should be DQ'd for this.  If its not legal they shouldnt be allowed to race, should never have gotten to this point.
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

cardzilla

Quote from: Jeff on June 19, 2006, 02:00:44 PM
I would protest it if they passed you through tech.  Unfortunately now is too late... (and I am not sure if tech issues are protestable)

If they pass you through tech, you should be allowed to run it.  If you were to fail tech, you at least had an opportunity to put some yellow duct tape on it and new numbers.

And yellow is yellow.  There is no interpretation.  If you're painting it with ANYTHING that has a green tint, etc, it's a SHADE of yellow, or a yellow blend.  It's not "yellow".  Try the can with "YELLOW" as the color name.  Nothing else! 

How the hell do you get more specific than "YELLOW" or "WHITE"? 

This IS the fault of the racer.

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff... no WAY is yellow yellow.  My bike is "fly" yellow and in no way resembles base yellow (tractor yellow).  There are many things that go into what makes a shade a shade and yellow has the most of any color.  It is also the most expensive by a wide margin.  I have no idea what all the factors are, just that yellow is a headache to define.  I guess this portion of the argument is really irrelevant though because it all boils down to the tech question...
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Woofentino Pugrossi

I would toss this as a tech screwup. Theres no standard for tech at different tracks. They all read the rulebook their way. Had an issue with one at Gateway in 03. Guy wouldnt pass my bike (which passed BHF tech in the same fashion since 99) because the throttle didnt snap shut as fast as he wanted it. All the rule book said is SELF CLOSING. Nothing on how fast. It closed on its own. Didnt snap closed, but closed within half a second of letting go. Guy was a prick about it and refused to look at the rule book and show me where it said how fast. His words "My track, my rules".
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

GrecianFormula40

I went through tech and passed. Larry gave me the sticker. Ran my race, came in 2nd GTU and was disqualified at the end of the race because it was the improper yellow. He could have refused to pass me at tech and let me fix the plate then, but to DQ me AFTER the race is total BS. I tried to talk some sense into them but it was obvious that Judge and Jury was gonna take my $25 protest money away. It was enough to lose the $200+ in contingencies at that point. Not racer friendly at all.
CCS EX GP #181

sasrocks

one guy had bright yellow plates and they made him tape over it before passing tech.  the tape job made the # harder to read.

meanwhile my mustardly yellow raised nary an eyebrow.  Oh and while the shade of yellow is of utmost importance, to be scrutinized by a color 'expert'... the (inadvertant) lack of safety wire on my oil filler cap was passed  over....hmmm :err:

so, to summarize: critical safety items are apparently taking a back seat to this obsessive policing of the dangerous shades of yellow. defining yellow is arbitrary and capricious and subjective at the least.  To be DQ'ed over the shade of yellow (when it earned you a tech sticker) is *not* cool.. .  and news flash = there are different shades of white too.

:ass: