News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

The color yellow

Started by vale46, June 19, 2006, 11:29:56 AM

Woofentino Pugrossi

sas, wanna really get his goat? Go to a automotive paint shop and get a bunch of yellow colour chips. Then ask Larry WHICH yellow does the rule book state and have him show you in the rule book where it states what colour yellow is required.

Seriously take a pic of it and email it to Kevin Elliott and ask him to define whats yellow. Maybe Kevin can get this BS cleared up.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Cowboy

I'll have to agree that this is basically crap.  Randy came rushing back to the pits after his 2nd place looking for some yellow tape.  As already pointed out, they DQed him anyway.  The race entry fee, I could live with.  But losing the contingency $$ is a tougher break.  Racing is not a cheap hobby and many of us need the contingency money we earn just to keep going.

I hope Kevin does something about this.  I've not always agreed with the way certian things are handled, but this one is over the top.

Burt Munro

I know the 'shade of yellow' issue has been going on for years.  And I have known of this specific situation for the last 2 seasons (even involved with it in a humoress way!)

Can't comment on the action taken at Topeka other than to say it probally could have been handled better.

My only real concern is the inconsistancy in what is acceptable in one region is rejected in another.

On a side note, bodywork for a number of bikes is becoming a challenge for everyone to display a legible/legal front number plate ('06 R6 comes to mind with the air intake size/location).  Unfortunately, as Kimmie said earlier, what looks great sitting in your pit or garage isn't as important as what can be easily read as you cross the start/finish line at 150+ mph in a pack with 3 other bikes.  Seems like more and more riders are trying to get by with as minimally sized number plate as possible and then squeeze the number so tight it is hard to read.  I really think that this may be one reason why the entrire scrutiny of number plates has become such an issue.

Randy, I'm really sorry this ended up the way it did! :kicknuts:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Eric Kelcher

Yellow and white are very easily defined. White is absence of any color.  Yellow is primary color (primary colors are Yellow, Blue and Red) IE Yellow is color that does not include blue or red.  add blue to yellow you get Green add red to yellow you get Orange

Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Jeff

My point exactly Eric...  If you buy paint bottled, canned or labelled as "YELLOW", you will be fine.  Not "school bus yellow", "dandelion yellow", "bumblebee yellow" or any other "shade" of yellow.  Just freaking yellow...

Yes, there are a million SHADES of yellow.  Don't ask for a SHADE of yellow.  Ask for YELLOW...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

tstruyk

I think we all get the point as to what constitutes yellow.  What is being ignored is the blatant disregard for any type of consistancy or enforcement.

The issue here (as far as I'm concerned) isnt that "my yellow is yellow enough".  The issue is it NEVER SHOULD HAVE PASSED TECH.  If it was bad enough to DQ a finish, it was bad enough to not get a sticker.

I'll be honest, it scares the shit outta me that oil filters and drain plugs are being overlooked.  This is dangerous enough as it is.  Yeah yeah yeah, its the racers responsibility, but why even have tech if thats your trump card?

If I have a crack in my helmet... I cant race until I find another
If I am missing a number on my helmet, I cant race until I get one on there
If I dont have my paperwork, I cant race til I get it
If I dont have a brake lever, I cant race till I get one on
If I dont have any number plates, I cant race till I get them
If I dont have safety wire per the rulebook, I cant race till I do
and....
If I dont have a legal color on my number plate, I cant race till its right!

What happened last weekend didnt "make things easier for scorers", it just irrated a paying customer.  The scorers could have had their "yellow" without DQing the racer if tech had not passed him.

If you owned a burger king with a no shirt, no shoes, no service sign would you wait until the order had been taken and paid for by the guy in the flip flops (afterall theyre NOT shoes) and then kick out your customer without giving them their whopper with onion rings?  Or tell them to change their footware and come back?

Poor customer service...
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Woofentino Pugrossi

But Jeff, whens the lsast time you seen paint that can be used for painting odywork, labelled just as yellow? Every yellow paint I see has ******* yellow.

Going through HOK paint chips and every yellow has a name. There is no just yellow.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

vale46

When I went through tech the first thing that was said was "Oh not that color yellow". I said that it was yellow and not white and that it was passed at the last CCS race what is the problem. I was told it is hard to tell the color on the track. That might be but when there are two colors white and yellow I don't see the problem. While at the tech line they did not check the mechanical workings of my bike, or that the brakes, levers, throttle, or safety wire. While he was pondering my yellow plates another tech official put a tech sticker on my bike. I didn't know what to think so fortunatly I had some other color yellow vinyl and an extra set of numbers. I feel sorry that Randy got DQ. I am sure had I not conformed I to would have been DQ. Every picture I have of my bike in action the plates look as yellow as whatever yellow is.
CCS #58
2008 Sponsors Burke Engineering, Lithium Motorsports, Monster Energy, Iowa City Motorsports, Vortex,  Leo Vince
Lockhart Phillips, Pirelli

spyderchick

Well, no House of Kolor paint chip is strictly base. So I'll beg to differ.

As a person has been in design/graphics for over 2 decades, I can tell you there is no base white. In paint, white can be any number of shades, due to the amount of pigment used in their creation, titanium being the most common. The carrier also has some bearing on how "clean" the white will be. The closer the mix is to "absence of color" the cleaner they will appear in clean light. If you put a blue light on white, it skews blue, red light, skews it pink/red. Light affect color as well as "absence of color".

Just as in white, there are different yellows, including bizmuth, diarylide and cadmium. I would believe that a clean cadmuim would most closely be associated with the standard "yellow" the CCS/ASRA techs are looking for.

So thus the debate: What is yellow? If this persists to be an issue, CCS may want to come up with a card indicating the variations of yellow allowed.

Brief note: I just read an article in a Scientific American sister publication on how not only light, but perceived light affects color and shading, particularly in images. If the tech shed was "dark", and the track condition "light" the yellow would appear different in each situation.

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

vale46

I agree totally spyderchick The tech shed was dark but in the sunlight it is a nice shade of yellow. Flourecsent light also makes a difference. By the way is'nt cadmium yellow Bob Ross (the painter) favorite color along with vandyke brown, and yellow ochre
CCS #58
2008 Sponsors Burke Engineering, Lithium Motorsports, Monster Energy, Iowa City Motorsports, Vortex,  Leo Vince
Lockhart Phillips, Pirelli

spyderchick

Flourecent light has a number indicating the color range it throws off.

In my shop, I think there's a bunch of diffent color grades of tubes, they got all jumbled as they were replced over the years. Most are in the yellow range.

We replaced tubes in the back room that I had just painted a nice "oops paint" powder blue. The flourecents skew toward the blue spectum, so stuff looks really strange back there, almost ethereal.

Light affects color, as light basically is color.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: spyderchick on June 20, 2006, 12:59:59 PM
Well, no House of Kolor paint chip is strictly base. So I'll beg to differ.

Neither is PPG, Chromacolor, Matrix and the other systems. Also what color the base coat can affect the final colour. Also as Vale said, lighting will change it also.

Also some people see colors differently than others. Problem here is tech doesnt have a set way that is standardized so its the same at all tracks CCS uses and not completely different at every track like it is now.

I used Safety Yellow (Duplicolor) when I painted mine.

Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141