Do you let off the gas after the race is over?

Started by Clay, June 12, 2006, 11:12:02 AM

Clay

So this weekend I'm racing at Roebling.  The GTO was a very hard faught race between Larry Denning and myself.  Once I crossed the start/finish at the checkered flag I let off the gas.  Was that wrong?  Apparently a lapper was drafting me and got a little pissed.  He came to my pit and proceeded to act like quite an immature child throwing a few explatives here and there.  I apologized to calm him down, but I'm still curious if I am wrong here?  So once the race is over and you pass the start/finish, should you keep on the gas? 

BTW, for those racing at Roebling this weekend, GREAT JOB EVERYONE!  That's the fewest red flags I've ever seen in a racing weekend.  Turn out wasn't GREAT, but was actually better than I thought it would be.  Oh, and yesterday we were 1 degree away from the record high of 99.  I'm still dehydrated!

r1owner

I remember them from my racing school saying to stay on the gas as there may be someone racing just behind you.

hdpromos

For Gods sake stay on the gas :ahhh:! So many times riders are racing to the line and if you just shut off, you're just asking to get rear ended. I hate to tell ya but even a first timer should know that :boink:.

HD

tstruyk

saw jeff wood make a HELLUVA move around a lapper at the checkered flag at road america... it was a 3 bike dash to the checker and a yella plater checked up BEFORE start finish when he saw the flag... wood had broken outta the draft and damn near gave the kid a gixer enema...

yes stay in it
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

JBraun

If he was battling with Larry Denning I don't think he was a first timer....

I don't see a problem with what he did. I've never been to Roebling, but as long as start/finish isn't right after the last corner, I don't see a reason to stay in the gas. The race was over, so he stopped racing.

I could see staying off line, but the lapper needs to know where he is in his race. You're a lap down and the leaders are getting checkers, you should know what's going on...

ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

r1owner

Quote from: tstruyk on June 12, 2006, 11:36:11 AM
wood had broken outta the draft and damn near gave the kid a gixer enema...

yes stay in it

As usual, spoken so much more eloquently than I could ever imagine! ;)

r1owner

Quote from: JBraun on June 12, 2006, 11:39:49 AM
I could see staying off line, but the lapper needs to know where he is in his race. You're a lap down and the leaders are getting checkers, you should know what's going on...

If the lapper is still in a position fight with another guy, then he should stay on the gas for his position.  That's why a guy that just put someone a lap down should stay on the gas...  Maybe the dude that just lapped them should realize where he is in his race too....

Clay

Ok, I'll stay on the gas a little longer from now on.  I guess when you're tired as hell after dicing it out for 20+ minutes you're just kinda relieved to finally reach the end of the race.  I was literally about ready to pass out.  (It was right at about 97 degrees during that race.)  I just didn't see the need to keep on the gas for another 100 yards once the race is over.  Guess I should have rolled off the gas though. 

Jeff

depends on the track.  i tend to stay on it until almost my normal brake mark.

ass packing people sucks...  i'm typing one handed as proof of it..
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

hdpromos

JBraun, I didn't say he was a "first timer", I said "even a first timer should know that"! He may have been battling with Larry Denning but it's a basic rule. Just because the race is over, you don't just shut off. If you don't understand that, then you need a "refresher course" not an enema :ass:!

HD

JBraun

Quote from: hdpromos on June 12, 2006, 11:59:59 AM
JBraun, I didn't say he was a "first timer", I said "even a first timer should know that"! He may have been battling with Larry Denning but it's a basic rule. Just because the race is over, you don't just shut off. If you don't understand that, then you need a "refresher course" not an enema :ass:!

HD
Wow, okay...
So I guess you're mad then....
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

Rick Beggs

2 of the worst accidents i ever saw were finish line accidents, when the leader let off at the checkered, what i do is stick out both my legs, as a signal, then let off gradualy, then brake for turn 1 as usual
RICK BEGGS
RnRCycles VPLubricants TuckerPowerSports FullSpectrumPower MotoLiberty RSTaichi AraiHelmet EBCBrakes EvansCoolant EVS DIDChains MaacoSterling ArmourBodies LextekMotorcycle WoolichRacing Woodcraft JTSprockets ZeroGravityRacing PitBull Lapking ChickenHawk PodiumMotorsportsPirelli