Do you let off the gas after the race is over?

Started by Clay, June 12, 2006, 11:12:02 AM

hdpromos

I've seen a lot and riders rolling off when they get the checkered flag is one of the most dangerous. It's basic, don't do it, stay on the gas.

HD

Clay

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: Jeff on June 12, 2006, 11:58:15 AM
depends on the track.  i tend to stay on it until almost my normal brake mark.

ass packing people sucks...  i'm typing one handed as proof of it..

Sprained or just overly sore? You didnt seem like you got hurt when we picked the bike up.

But back on topic...I dont start slowing until I get halfway around the track.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

dylanfan53

Yeah, but you started it so we get to keep hitting the post like a rented mule.   :biggrin:

One of the funniest finish line incidents I was in was when a guy thought he out motored me at the checkered for third place and was so ecstatic he was pumping his fist in the air like crazy.  I was thinking top myself, "Uh, 'scuse me there Bud, but that's turn one coming up at about 100mph."  Sure enough, by the time he realized it and threw his hands back down on the bars he didn't stand a chance of making the turn.  He ran straight off the track onto the grass and practiced his gymnastics.  I didn't have the heart to tell him the photo finish wasn't in his favor.  He wasn't hurt so later I was :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:    :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Don Cook
CCS #53

Mark Bernard

Never, never, never. never let off the gas!
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

Super Dave

Quote from: hdpromos on June 12, 2006, 12:42:04 PM
I've seen a lot and riders rolling off when they get the checkered flag is one of the most dangerous. It's basic, don't do it, stay on the gas.

HD
It's just a self preservation issue.  Henry and others have it right.

You've got to be defensive and recognize that you have the potential for a person to be right up your ass.  They may never see the final flag.

Before you ever let off in a after finishing, changing your body language by sitting up a bit will usually get the drafter's attention that you're gonna do something different.  Then you can roll off...just a bit. 

Stay alive and healthy.
Super Dave

MELK-MAN

Quote from: JBraun on June 12, 2006, 11:39:49 AM
If he was battling with Larry Denning I don't think he was a first timer....

I don't see a problem with what he did. I've never been to Roebling, but as long as start/finish isn't right after the last corner, I don't see a reason to stay in the gas. The race was over, so he stopped racing.

I could see staying off line, but the lapper needs to know where he is in his race. You're a lap down and the leaders are getting checkers, you should know what's going on...
Jbrawn, you clearly have no regard for the racing that could be going on behind you. At Robeling or ANY track do not just "shut off".. same goes for a RED FLAG. The rider BEHIND you may NOT SEE the red flag!

TOTALLY wrong to just "shut off" at the line. I personally know the poster and Larry D. Clay, you fast enough and have raced long enough that you should know better and not be suprized that the guy was pissed. I would have not only shaken a finger at you on track but would have come over and explained the error of your ways!
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

a13x

Quote from: tstruyk on June 12, 2006, 11:36:11 AM
saw jeff wood make a HELLUVA move around a lapper at the checkered flag at road america... it was a 3 bike dash to the checker and a yella plater checked up BEFORE start finish when he saw the flag... wood had broken outta the draft and damn near gave the kid a gixer enema...

yes stay in it

Jeff and Eric Wood teach at the Penguin Racing School to stay ON THE GAS and at Race Speed all the way thru the Finish and Turn 1. (well maybe 95% into Turn 1...).

We were doing some filming work back in October for Penguin and Jeff, Eric, Carl Mccallister, and myself were demostrating the Right and Wrong way to finish the race. Basically staying on the gas or, as Clay did, throttling off. All I know is that even though we had a Plan for who was going where... it was still scary as hell when the guy in front of you gets off the gas at Start / Finish and you have to dodge around them..

What was even funnier however was when Jeff had 'crashed' in a turn and Eric and I had to buzz past him on each side. Jeff doing it 'right' and when he was doing it 'wrong' he looked like a tapdancing crazyman! hehe.

Clay

I can understand pissed and letting me know I screwed up.  Wanting to start a fight is another thing.  Sorry, that's acting like a child.  I accepted responsibility like a grown up and apologized.  All that needed to be said was to point out the error of my ways. 

Honestly though, I've never thought about it before.  Guess I should have.  I was just tired as hell though and all I could think of is that I just won my first expert race, while beating Larry Denning and that I couldn't feel my mouth it was so dry.   :ahhh:

Fat_Nate

Is it my turn to whip the rented mule?  Oh, goodie!  If you're headed to pitlane during practice or in the middle of a race, stay at race pace until off the racing line.

At Moroso, for example, pit entry is at a maximum acceleration part of the track.  If a rider doesn't signal and shuts it down before getting onto pit lane, everyone behind him is still going through the gears WFO, and it's a problem.  Much better to put a hand up before the max acceleration point of the track if possible, and then accelerate at or close to normal until off the racing line and on pit lane.  Plenty of room for deceleration there.

hdpromos

This whole subject is a "no brainer" :banghead:! It's one of the basic rules that all on the race track should know :spank:.

HD