Yup, one more tire ?

Started by PolishPete, June 11, 2006, 01:08:37 PM

PolishPete

As I see by searching and reading these posts, there are tire questions abroad...however I'm not finding the info I need, so I will post up again...feel free to delete if monotonous (sp?)!!

The SV I bought has Pirellis on it now.  What is a good starter tire for a guy like me.  Won't run too hard, but learning how to corner, so I would like something that sticks well and I will be confident on.  Now the most important...why would you recommend this tire (if you respnd).  What is the reason this tire would be good for a newb? 

Or...does it really not matter for me.  Will everything work approximately the same since I am not charging for podiums?

Thank you very much for any responses in advance.  I understand that it is really personal preference, but I don't even know where to start.  (Will keep reading tire posts)

Eric Kelcher

Well here comes the unbiased opinion from the peanut gallery.

Talk with the at track dealers. Find the one that you can talk with and relate to about what you want from a tire (Life, Feel, Price, Contingency, Grip/Slide). The information you can convey to them is going to help get you on the right tire as there are different model tires from just about all the manufactureres from pure street tire, hard charging street/track day tire, endurance race tire, race sprint tire, to super soft qualifier tire.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Ridgeway

Maybe this will help, I race an SV.

For starting out, I don't think you can beat the Michelin Pilot-Power street tire for track-day use.  I've also got at least a dozen friends that swear by them and have been using them exclusively for street and track duty for the last two seasons.

I actually prefer them over the Michelin DOT race tires on a cold and/or damp (not wet) track, where the race tires have a hard time getting up to temp and tend to tear up.  They warm up quickly (don't need warmers), and seem to last forever when compared to the purpose-built race stuff.  Once you get to the point that you start to feel them slide and spin on you, then you'll probably want to give the DOT race tires a try.
CCS Midwest EX #18
07 GSX-R600
03 SV650s

Super Dave

Quote from: Ridgeway on June 12, 2006, 12:02:31 AM
Maybe this will help, I race an SV.

For starting out, I don't think you can beat the Michelin Pilot-Power street tire for track-day use.  I've also got at least a dozen friends that swear by them and have been using them exclusively for street and track duty for the last two seasons.

I actually prefer them over the Michelin DOT race tires on a cold and/or damp (not wet) track, where the race tires have a hard time getting up to temp and tend to tear up.  They warm up quickly (don't need warmers), and seem to last forever when compared to the purpose-built race stuff.  Once you get to the point that you start to feel them slide and spin on you, then you'll probably want to give the DOT race tires a try.

+1 there...

If you're new and all...traction is really important so you can make mistakes without so much cost in crash repairs.

The Pilot Power, a street tire, rocks on the race track and is very durable.  You won't win races, but it will give you a start.  Like Ridgeway said, it's very good on a damp track too.  Don't have to use tire warmers with that tire. 

When you get down and dirty to really try and race for the front, then the Michelin Power Race is going to be the next step.

Hope that gives you some ideas.
Super Dave

cbirk

I can't vouch for any race tires (though I will go michelin power race), but I've ran several tires on my street bike, and I ride a little too hard on the street. The first set of michelins I got were the pilot sports and I absolutely loved them. Next, I put on the Pilot Powers. No comparison between the two. The sport seemed a little more stable at straight cruise and initiating a turn, BUT the powers do everything else better. I'll be running the pilot powers during riders school and my first race.(until next year) I don't think you can go wrong with the powers. They're cheap, Durable, Sticky, Have great feel and "look cool"  8)  I have yet to run them on the track but from what I hear they'll be fine for beginners like myself. However, talking tires is like talking ford vs. chevy or castrol vs. mobil. This is just my 2 cents.

Super Dave

Tires like talking ford, chevy...

Well, I won't agree with that.  There are only a few good players in the sport tire/race market.  So, it is a short list.  Go with someone on the outer edge on that and you've got a  big bill very easily trying to do something that others can't offer...better traction.

I run Michelin's.  But Dunlops are a good opportunity.  Additionally, the Pirelli's and some of the Bridgestones out there can be good.  Outside of those tires for the sport/race market, you're taking chances.  If you have a really fine feel for traction, you can do things to keep yourself upright, but the possibility of error because of a loss of traction...
Super Dave

cbirk

Quote from: Super Dave on June 12, 2006, 10:45:35 AM
Tires like talking ford, chevy...
Well, I won't agree with that. 

Some people swear by Michelin and Some swear by Dunlop. Some swear by Ford. Some swear by Chevy. Thats what I was getting at. Furthermore, it seems like whatever somebody uses tends to be the best to them so thats what they will inform others.  Oh, and Dave, Michelin,Dunlop,Pirelli and Bridgestone are the only tires in my opinion. I wouldn't trust an Avon, Maxxis, Continental etc... on the street much less the track, so I understand what your saying.

PolishPete

Thanks for the replies guys.