News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

New member to the poor farm

Started by h00ktern, March 29, 2002, 04:34:18 AM

h00ktern

Hey guys. I'm newly inducted to your farm, and look forward to your advice. I finally bit the bullet and turned my mille R into a race bike. My first race should be at NFMP on the 6th, wearing CCS #525. I plan on registering there, since I want to insure I'm in the back row where I won't be in the mix.

I've been riding since I was fifteen, and am thoroughly disgusted with riding on the street. The roads down here are wacked, and I've been taking road trips up to N. GA and NC for some time now - just to enjoy riding.

I'm not sure why, but I just bought another R which I intend to keep stock (right.) I think it was easier to justify the conversion of the first one, knowing I had a back-up in case I wad the first one. Needless to say, I just fubar'd my funds for the next three years.

Don't tell me what the future holds. I already know that I will be giving up food, drink and shelter (not to mention the new bike) to sustain the habit. It should be worth it if it's anything close to the satisfaction of my previous track time.

Anyway, I've always sucked when it came to "...tell us about yourself," so I'll let this stand as my attempt at breaking in.

Safe trips, and thanks (Shawn) for putting up the board. I'm burned out on the regular "sportbike" forums, and have been searching for a club specific site for some time now. I just happened to find this one via the WERA board (before Formula USA linked you) and am more stoked it's CCS specific.

Dave
Y2K Aprilia RSV R mille

Admin

Dave,

Welcome to the barn ;).  This sport is definitely expensive, but worth it...I think :).

Speaking of "wad"ing a Mille R, I just wadded mine two weeks ago at NFMP.  I'm in the process of "rebuilding".  If you don't already have them, I would recommend race bodywork!  Shoot me an email, I can get you hooked up with a nice set.

I currently run an FZR400, but I think I'm going to be adding my Mille R to my race stable, especially if the repairs don't come out the way I hope.

Shawn

RickyRacer

I'll be heading up on Friday. Shoot me an email if you want to drive up together. We can talk racing over some soup and crackers.  ;)
"HEY!, quit being a hog and pass the racepipe"
SpringsRacing
DUCATI MIAMI

h00ktern

Thanks Shawn. I appreciate the welcome.

I am currently running Sharkskinz. I know they're a bit more expensive than other brands, but the quality and fit is really worth the difference in price. Hastle does have a cost - and I hate paying for my savings in aggravation.

What I am going to try is using Sebimoto carbon fiber air ducts. At $130 (115 for carbon/kevlar) a piece, they are much cheaper than OEM. Naturally, the ducts seem to crack about 50% of the time, and the more expensive inner usually cracks worse than the outer. I expect the carbon to shatter, but we'll see. It might not prove more economical in the end. I did hear that Sharkskinz intends to cast a mold soon, so we'll have to see where the price goes.

I lowsided at NFMP in Feb. I switched to the old Pilot Race (cost/avail) after running a few sets of the Pirelli SC2s. True to claims, the darn things let go without any warning (at least to my perception.) I hope to be back on the SCs for Sunday, if I can locate a front by then.

I'll reciprocate by offering you the same of courtesy of e-mail if you wish to yap over the mille. I can also be found on Aprilia Forum.

Ricky, I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale area, and will shoot for leaving at noon on Friday. If we can hook up along that schedule, I'm game. If not, I'm certain we'll meet up at the track.

Safe trips,
Dave
Y2K Aprilia RSV R mille

RickyRacer

That sounds good. I need to make a stop at the VP Gas station and Palm Beach Ducati to pick a tank clam.

BTW, if you go up to SharkSkinz shop, you can save a lot of money on bodywork. And I know someone that can fix any carbon fiber stuff.
"HEY!, quit being a hog and pass the racepipe"
SpringsRacing
DUCATI MIAMI

Admin

Tank clam?  You have a reef tank too?

Shawn