leathers ?'s

Started by cbirk, June 08, 2006, 09:55:58 PM

cbirk

I'll be taking learning curves this year and hopefully racing at the last blackhawk date. My question is I currently have a set of alpinestars track pants that zip to my alpinestars jacket. It is not a 2 piece suit ,but 2 seperate components.. It is legal to run my street leather, but how much better would it to be to get a 400 dollar agv sport 1 piece suit. I'm  a lower end budget unfortunately. what do people think of the agv suits? vs. my street stuff.. Thanks ahead for the advice.

Woofentino Pugrossi

does it zip all the way around the waist? If so you're good to go.

BUT if you really want to make sure, email rick breuer rick@learningcurves.com
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

PolishPete

I use a two piece.  It zips all the way around.  Most places will accept this, however if it only has that 8" zip along the back, then that won't work.

cbirk

Yeah it zips all the way around the waist. Its not like a true two piece suit is though. Instead of it being a heavy duty zipper attached directly the leather it is a smaller zipper connected to the liner of the jacket(and leather of the pants) Its an Alpinestars "Stunt"  jacket and Alpinestars "track pants"  Reason I inquire is I haven't seen anyone on the track w/out anything other than a 1 piece or a true 2 piece. its not the 8" it goes all the way around minus 8" in the front (for the fly) Eric Kelcher said  it would work,through an email.

K3 Chris Onwiler

First you need a back protector.  Then consider what kind of armor your current suit has.  Foam padding doesn't work.  You need plastic armor backed by foam.
I'll be honest.  All my worst injuries from this sport came early in my career, when I was racing in the Techniques bottom-line goatskin suit I'd bought for street use.  Gawd, don't race in goatskin!  I still bear the scars.
See, a $400 suit probably isn't in your best interest.  Instead, try to find a racer selling a used Vanson, Syed, Barnical Bill, or Z Custom suit that will fit you.  Try the racing boards and Ebay.  Nasty ugly smelly used leathers that are from a reputable company and built for racing are much more protective than new cheap stuff, and you only have one body.
Lastly, get in touch with Spyder Leatherworks at 414-327-0967 before you make the buying decision.  Alexa knows all, will steer you right, and she can repair, refit, or customize anything that you buy.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

K3 Chris Onwiler

EEEEEEK!  Third-world poser leathers for the street crowd!  I started to bleed just looking at them.  And that armor is two layers of foam with no plastic shell to spread the load of impact.
Not bad protection for a pillow fight....
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

K3 Chris Onwiler

Please re-read my first post.

cbirk

:lmao:  Just thought I'd ask  :lmao:

HAWK

Listen to Chris,

You get one body, Go cheap on anything but your safety gear. That layer of leather and armor is going to be the only thing between you and the pavement at 100MPH if anything happens. Your learning curves weekend will cost you over $300 if that's the only thing you do. Race on Sunday and now it's a $600 weekend. If you can't afford the right safety gear now then wait till next spring and do it right. This is my first season, I know it's hard, I have a short budget too but last summer I decided to do this and I bit the bullit and bought my stuff. I dropped almost $2000 on leathers, back protector, boots, gloves and helmet. It was hard but I'm damn glad I did. If god forbid something does happen, you want to be able to race another day.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Woofentino Pugrossi

BTW Learning curves does rent full leather suits for the school. Bring your coat and pants. Show Rick. If he thinks it would be fine for the school, then you just make the call if you want to rent a suit from Rick. If he has some objections, just rent one. Calling him probably would had been better, but he might be at the track tomorrow morning.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Jeff

You ABSOLUTELY CAN find decent quality BUDGET leathers.  You don't have to buy used at all...

Fieldsheer makes a VERY good off the rack, entry level leather for $500 or less.
Moto-GP leathers are also right around $500.

Talk to Audrey of www.motoliberty.com or Rob of www.lithiummotorsports.com

BOTH of them are VERY reliable and responsible.  They will NOT sell you garbage, and will get you into something SAFE that FITS and is in your budget.

Tell them you came from here...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest