News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

String method? Rear wheel alignment?

Started by lbk, June 07, 2006, 01:33:56 PM

251am

Quote from: SuperSpud on July 21, 2006, 05:30:40 PM
Do people actually do this?  I usually just do what Jeff said, use the marks.  And as far as I can tell my bike still goes straight most of the time; even sometimes in T7 and T1 when it's not supposed to.   :lmao:

Only AFTER I've found my parking spot though....in the grass...

:lmao: :kissy: :lmao:

Team_Serpent

The system I use can be seen here http://www.laser-lines.com

Reasonably priced, quick, easy accurate.

Read the whole home page to understand why rear to front alignment is so important.

superspud

Quote from: Team_Serpent on July 25, 2006, 12:24:15 PM
The system I use can be seen here http://www.laser-lines.com

Reasonably priced,
What is the cost and do they have any distributors?
CCS MW Am #778

Team_Serpent

Quote from: SuperSpud on July 25, 2006, 01:48:37 PM
What is the cost and do they have any distributors?

I think they have distributors but I'm not sure.  There is a link at the bottom of the home page for ordering -  I clicked on it and the price was $188.00

I brought mine a couple of years ago directly from the guy who owns the company when he was at the WERA GNF doing demos.

Protein Filled

You can buy it on the website. It said $188.00
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

ecumike

So for those of you who do all these measurements, instead of just making sure you turn the left one the same amount as you turn the right one, when you switch gearing.... how accurate do you be?.. I find it hard that it would be very accurate measuring from the "center of the swingarm pivot" w/o something solid in there keeping the tape measure place.

As well, if your rear wheel spins very freely, is that safe to say that it's aligned just fine?..  I would think that a rear wheel that's not aligned would cause the chain to rub 'more'/have more friction on the rear sprocket (b/c the sprocket is attached to the wheel/axel and it's not aligned at the same angle as the front sprocket) and would not allow the rear wheel to spin as much.  Thoughts?

Protein Filled

Here is an article written by Rob Tuluie, the creator of the Tularis, regarding chassis alignment that may help:

http://motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/chassis2.html

and

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/chassis.html

Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

L8brake731

Wow! LASER LINES....why didn't anyone else think of that? What a GREAT idea :sleeping2: Let's hope your rims are absolutely true, I'm sure they make you check them 180 out to make sure but that's a l-o-n-g way from the axle, other hard parts and too rim dependent, no? What happened to the "marks on the swing arm topic"?
S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731

Team_Serpent

Quote from: ecumike on July 25, 2006, 08:19:26 PMSo for those of you who do all these measurements, instead of just making sure you turn the left one the same amount as you turn the right one, when you switch gearing.... how accurate do you be?..

I only use the laser alignment tool once in a while after initial set-up - say once every other race weekend to make sure I haven't turned one adjuster further than the other during gearing changes or after a crash to make sure the bike isn't bent. It's very accurate, I've tested it against the same measurement plane using a Computrack System.

Quote from: ecumike on July 25, 2006, 08:19:26 PMI find it hard that it would be very accurate measuring from the "center of the swingarm pivot" w/o something solid in there keeping the tape measure place.

To be perfectly accurate when measuring these points you do need special tools/equipment.

Quote from: ecumike on July 25, 2006, 08:19:26 PMAs well, if your rear wheel spins very freely, is that safe to say that it's aligned just fine?..  I would think that a rear wheel that's not aligned would cause the chain to rub 'more'/have more friction on the rear sprocket (b/c the sprocket is attached to the wheel/axle and it's not aligned at the same angle as the front sprocket) and would not allow the rear wheel to spin as much.  Thoughts? /quote]

There is a lot of play/tolerance between chain and sprocket so you could be miss-aligned and still have what appears to be fairly good free spin when testing by hand. But you're right - miss-alignment = friction which = decrease in performance.

Team_Serpent

Quote from: L8brake731 on July 25, 2006, 10:28:21 PM
Wow! LASER LINES....why didn't anyone else think of that? What a GREAT idea :sleeping2: Let's hope your rims are absolutely true, I'm sure they make you check them 180 out to make sure but that's a l-o-n-g way from the axle, other hard parts and too rim dependent, no? What happened to the "marks on the swing arm topic"?

lbk first asked about the string measurement process that has been around for years. Laser Lines is quicker, easier and more accurate.  Is it the end all be all, most accurate measuring device available? No. But from my experience it's pretty damn accurate.

I think the "marks on the swingarm" topic died when most everyone figured out that they are not very accurate 99.9% of the time.

Most people posting are trying to help with information about alignment points - your post seems to be kinda sarcastic and argumentative. Maybe I miss-read and took it the wrong way - don't want to argue, just trying to help.

L8brake731

No argument. Just stating that there exists too many variables to use a (what is a wheel mounted) device to check alignment (true) that takes the beating a wheel does.
I'd say the best investment is to have GMD Computrack do it once and then go from there. After re-reading the post, I'm sure he's got it figured out. :thumb:
S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731