Road America lap times

Started by rsvRadtke, June 01, 2006, 03:29:50 PM

rsvRadtke

I was wondering what kind of laptimes guys were seeing in the different groups at Road A.  I'm a N00B at track riding and possibly interested in CCS and i am wondering what kind of skill level the different groups seem to have as an average. 

If I hear from you guys that the Beginner class is pulling 2:30's or something..  well, I'll probably try a different hobby  :spank:

So, like I said, I'm curious to find out.

Thanks

sasrocks

last year NESBA beginner group was in the 2:50+ range, up to 3:10 or so...

Sobottka

i think most of the fast ams are doing somewhere between 2:36 and 2:40.  r. jensen qualified @2:26  for asra sprtbk but most of the fast ccs experts were in the lower 30s... i think :thumb:
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

spyderchick

Do what's comfortable for you, ask the fast guys questions, and just work on the skillz. Speed will come with seat time. Welcome to the insanity! :ahhh: :biggrin:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

251am

Quote from: rsvRadtke on June 01, 2006, 03:29:50 PM
I was wondering what kind of laptimes guys were seeing in the different groups at Road A.  I'm a N00B at track riding and possibly interested in CCS and i am wondering what kind of skill level the different groups seem to have as an average. 

If I hear from you guys that the Beginner class is pulling 2:30's or something..  well, I'll probably try a different hobby  :spank:

So, like I said, I'm curious to find out.

Thanks

No, try this hobby first. A few years ago I was running low 40s on an '01 GSXR 1000, no special set up. This past spring I was running low 50s on an RC51 with a bad set up. You meet the right people and have some REAL fun on the track. I'm not sure who in the beginner class is running 2:30s, but that's certainly not the average.

PM me if you want some assistance getting set up w/o unloading your wallet. 

BuellGirlie

just looked up weekend results from AMA weekend at RA.  if you click here http://www.amaproracing.com/06rr/elkhartlake/index-links.html , and then on "fastest overall time" on each race - you'll see that the pros are going between 2:11 and 2:31 during races.  perhaps your beginner pulling a 2:30 is from a different track?

D

Jeff

An amateur in the 2:30's is not unrealistic at all...  2:39.99 is "in the 2:30's". 

The fastest amateurs will be in the lower 2:30's I'm sure...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Sobottka

i was doing 2:38s... and didnt win anything! i know for a fact one am was doing 32s... i saw the time sheet  :wtf:
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

danch

Quote from: robsob on June 05, 2006, 06:11:43 PM
i was doing 2:38s... and didnt win anything! i know for a fact one am was doing 32s... i saw the time sheet  :wtf:

These days some guys start with some talent and do a lot of track days before they start to take racing seriously. I'm pretty sure that's the case with the guy running 32s.
MW Am #720

Jeff

There will always be 1-2 smoking fast amateurs.  Like amateurs who could run top 5-10 pace of EXPERT races.

There were amateurs last year running 13's at BHF.  I'm sure there will be some this year doing the same.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

sasrocks

the guy said he was a noob at track riding.  that is totally different than quoting fast amatuer race times.

for starting out new to track riding < 3:00 at RA would be a reasonable goal. 

rsvRadtke

sasrocks got my question the best I think.  I was just looking for a generalist view of results to know whether I am going to be capable of participating.  My first day at Road A on a new bike I managed to get down to 3:01's. 

I am not after the fastest laptime or winning events, but due to schedules and limited track opportunities on the different tracks in the region I have considered CCS in addition to participating with Nesba to simply get more track time.  My interest in this is more scientific than anything else.  I don't have the "natural" ability that I can just jump on a bike and "feel" my way to 2:45's or something.  I need to research, ask questions, read, try different things - and that is what I enjoy the most about this so far, is the "proving" I feel I am accomplishing for my own benefit. 

Thanks again for all of your responses!!!!

Jeff

Shit. aim low.  Get around the track upright...  Worry about times later.  (I think that was stated like the 3rd reply)
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

tshort

And don't compare times before 2004 or so to now - they got rid of the kink and the new Bend adds about 10 secs if memory serves...
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128