News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Road America lap times

Started by rsvRadtke, June 01, 2006, 03:29:50 PM

rsvRadtke

I was wondering what kind of laptimes guys were seeing in the different groups at Road A.  I'm a N00B at track riding and possibly interested in CCS and i am wondering what kind of skill level the different groups seem to have as an average. 

If I hear from you guys that the Beginner class is pulling 2:30's or something..  well, I'll probably try a different hobby  :spank:

So, like I said, I'm curious to find out.

Thanks

sasrocks

last year NESBA beginner group was in the 2:50+ range, up to 3:10 or so...

Sobottka

i think most of the fast ams are doing somewhere between 2:36 and 2:40.  r. jensen qualified @2:26  for asra sprtbk but most of the fast ccs experts were in the lower 30s... i think :thumb:
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

spyderchick

Do what's comfortable for you, ask the fast guys questions, and just work on the skillz. Speed will come with seat time. Welcome to the insanity! :ahhh: :biggrin:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

251am

Quote from: rsvRadtke on June 01, 2006, 03:29:50 PM
I was wondering what kind of laptimes guys were seeing in the different groups at Road A.  I'm a N00B at track riding and possibly interested in CCS and i am wondering what kind of skill level the different groups seem to have as an average. 

If I hear from you guys that the Beginner class is pulling 2:30's or something..  well, I'll probably try a different hobby  :spank:

So, like I said, I'm curious to find out.

Thanks

No, try this hobby first. A few years ago I was running low 40s on an '01 GSXR 1000, no special set up. This past spring I was running low 50s on an RC51 with a bad set up. You meet the right people and have some REAL fun on the track. I'm not sure who in the beginner class is running 2:30s, but that's certainly not the average.

PM me if you want some assistance getting set up w/o unloading your wallet. 

BuellGirlie

just looked up weekend results from AMA weekend at RA.  if you click here http://www.amaproracing.com/06rr/elkhartlake/index-links.html , and then on "fastest overall time" on each race - you'll see that the pros are going between 2:11 and 2:31 during races.  perhaps your beginner pulling a 2:30 is from a different track?

D

Jeff

An amateur in the 2:30's is not unrealistic at all...  2:39.99 is "in the 2:30's". 

The fastest amateurs will be in the lower 2:30's I'm sure...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Sobottka

i was doing 2:38s... and didnt win anything! i know for a fact one am was doing 32s... i saw the time sheet  :wtf:
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

danch

Quote from: robsob on June 05, 2006, 06:11:43 PM
i was doing 2:38s... and didnt win anything! i know for a fact one am was doing 32s... i saw the time sheet  :wtf:

These days some guys start with some talent and do a lot of track days before they start to take racing seriously. I'm pretty sure that's the case with the guy running 32s.
MW Am #720

Jeff

There will always be 1-2 smoking fast amateurs.  Like amateurs who could run top 5-10 pace of EXPERT races.

There were amateurs last year running 13's at BHF.  I'm sure there will be some this year doing the same.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

sasrocks

the guy said he was a noob at track riding.  that is totally different than quoting fast amatuer race times.

for starting out new to track riding < 3:00 at RA would be a reasonable goal. 

rsvRadtke

sasrocks got my question the best I think.  I was just looking for a generalist view of results to know whether I am going to be capable of participating.  My first day at Road A on a new bike I managed to get down to 3:01's. 

I am not after the fastest laptime or winning events, but due to schedules and limited track opportunities on the different tracks in the region I have considered CCS in addition to participating with Nesba to simply get more track time.  My interest in this is more scientific than anything else.  I don't have the "natural" ability that I can just jump on a bike and "feel" my way to 2:45's or something.  I need to research, ask questions, read, try different things - and that is what I enjoy the most about this so far, is the "proving" I feel I am accomplishing for my own benefit. 

Thanks again for all of your responses!!!!