LRRS Temporarily bans certain HJC helmets

Started by Jeff, May 18, 2006, 01:49:23 PM

Jeff

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

EX#996

Perhaps you should also put this in the Motorcycle Racing Section incase this area isn't checked.

Dawn 
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Jeff

I'd prefer not to double post.  Just figured I'd put it in the announcements section so it didn't get lost under General Racing discussion.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

Super Dave

jer271

Well lets see here, I was wearing an HJC helmet at the last blackhawk when I decided to visit rockford area hospital and my fricking brain was swoolen

Super Dave

Super Dave

Super Dave

Quote from: Jeff on May 18, 2006, 01:49:23 PM
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=25781

But Hutchinson said that only two HJC models have been banned. "The CS and CL, I believe," Hutchinson said in a phone interview. "All the rest are fine with us, but until we investigate this and find out more about it, we're not going to allow riders to use those helmets."

Per the RRW article...

Super Dave

jer271

let me make sure but I am pretty sure it was "cl" someting. I dont want to bash the product but this was something me and my dad said had to change, I was in the market for a Shoei or arai after this crash.
I was looking at the helmet it didnt crack or anything but Iwas knocked out pretty bad this time (so I was told) - and last 3 times Ive crashed Ive had the same type helmet and My noggin  has been concused pretty bad so Iwas gonna change brands.

Like I said I am not trying too bash the product I want to try something else because of all the cocusions, I think Iam up too about 4 in thew last 2 years with out hiting the ground hard at all in those accidents and the last crash was pretty serious.

spyderchick

Quote from: jer271 on May 18, 2006, 10:52:36 PM
CL-14 is the model

If you read the article, the CL and CS models are the ones that have specifically been banned by LRRS. Get an Arai. Pricey, but then again, what's your head worth?  :banghead: :biggrin:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Super Dave

Quote from: jer271 on May 18, 2006, 08:44:53 PM
I was looking at the helmet it didnt crack or anything but Iwas knocked out pretty bad this time (so I was told) - and last 3 times Ive crashed Ive had the same type helmet and My noggin  has been concused pretty bad so Iwas gonna change brands.

Like I said I am not trying too bash the product I want to try something else because of all the cocusions, I think Iam up too about 4 in thew last 2 years with out hiting the ground hard at all in those accidents and the last crash was pretty serious.

I have yet to have a concussion.  I currently wear Suomy.  I've worn Suomy, Bieffe (now not in existance), Bell, and Arai. 

Arai, Shoei, and Suomy are your best bets in my opinion.  Suomy uses a motorcycle specific standard.  If you want info on that, I can give you a link.  It's very different from the car racing origin Snell standard that Arai, Shoei, and some HJC helmets have.
Super Dave

Super Dave

http://www.saferacer.com/hjcclsoco.html

Looks like the CL14 is DOT and Snell M2000 rated.

Obviously, I think it is important to recognize that the LRRS has temporarily banned this helmet based on generalizations from racing crashes, not on any kind of specific testing data that is available.
Super Dave