News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

LRRS Temporarily bans certain HJC helmets

Started by Jeff, May 18, 2006, 01:49:23 PM

HAWK

With reference to the batch testing, or testing at all for that matter. A little reading today and I found that NOBODY tests for DOT compliance, The manufacturer simply certifies that the helmet meets the standard and everybody believes them. :ahhh:

The technologies exits to create new standards based on a specific enviroment. 20 years ago there was a single snell standard for all motorcycle and automotive racing helmets, a while back the auto racing organizations were seeing serious head injuries due to the restrained driver hitting his helmet against the roll bar repeatedly in the same location so the response from snell was a more durable shell. The motorcycle rider was then at risk from the additional stiffness so they split the certification into SA and M. As I said maybe it is time for a motorcycle racing spec.

All things considered if you like HJC helmets why not spend the extra $50-$100 to get the best one they make, this is just not the place to save a few bucks. There are people riding  motorcycles that given the choice between a $200 helmet and going without will choose going without so with that in mind I don't want to see the manufacturers stop making entry level helmets but they don't belong on a racetrack.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Super Dave

Quote from: Hawk on June 23, 2006, 05:08:06 PM
As I said maybe it is time for a motorcycle racing spec.

Why?  Because street riders don't hit the ground as hard or as often?

I'm not arguing, I just don't understand why.

Regardless, the helmets in question were Snell.  Maybe the problem lies with Snell certifying that helmet, or a mass production flaw. 

I don't wear one, but if a simple look at easy get offs shows something, I'm glad Jerry Wood had the balls to do something. 
Super Dave

HAWK

One of the big gripes with the current M snell spec is the maximum allowable G force. A number of authorities in the field are calling for a lower figure, the M spec is currently 300G for 2 milliseconds. Some feel this number should be brought down to 200. That would certainly reduce the chances of a concussion but to do so would require snell to drop the multi strike in the same location rating which they don't want to do. I agree that street riders fall every bit as often and every bit as hard as we do but if we introduce  a new standard then maybe people could choose based on what they do. Right now the sanctioning body is stuck with the available rating systems and we're stuck with the standards they chose to require.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413