News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

who was taking pics at blackhawk

Started by DanO966, May 08, 2006, 12:10:36 PM

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote from: DAmico on May 11, 2006, 12:31:03 AM
Everyone on this board (including myself){that races} has pulled some bonehead move while on the track that has involved another rider. And anytime I did this I made sure to get over to the persons involved and apologize and explain to the person the events in my perspective...."uh well I thought I saw some room there.." and make sure the people involved are OK. The main thing is to say that "hey I screwed up and I'm glad I didn't kill you in the process."And I can say that 99% of the time I've had others come to me and do the same.
So i think it is the nonchalantness(wow can I spell or what, where the f**k is the spell check on this thing) with this whole situation that people are having a problem with not the said incident(I like saying "said incident").

Well said.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

EX_#76

DAmico,
    You are my new idol.  Well said!!!

Guy
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

Ridgeway

QuoteEveryone on this board (including myself){that races} has pulled some bonehead move while on the track that has involved another rider. And anytime I did this I made sure to get over to the persons involved and apologize and explain to the person the events in my perspective...."uh well I thought I saw some room there.." and make sure the people involved are OK. The main thing is to say that "hey I screwed up and I'm glad I didn't kill you in the process."And I can say that 99% of the time I've had others come to me and do the same.
So i think it is the nonchalantness(wow can I spell or what, where the f**k is the spell check on this thing) with this whole situation that people are having a problem with not the said incident(I like saying "said incident").

Agreed.  It's expected that unfortunate things can and will happen on a race track, but to say that the rider(s) involved have no responsibility for it because of that fact is a dangerous mindset to have.  Particularly in practice, when there's everything to lose and relatively little to gain.

This is my 2nd year racing, and getting passed without spazzing out and altering lines is one of the things that I'm constantly working on.  I've improved on this a lot since I started, but I still occasionally get startled, which can get dangerous.  I also had my first taste of on-track "incidents" this weekend.

Incident #1: 1st practice session on Saturday, I had done Friday practice, so was relatively comfortable on the track compared with some of the guys who were probably putting in their first laps of the season.  I came up behind a guy pretty fast on the brakes going into 7.  I was carrying enough momentum compared to him that I thought I could pretty easily get by him on the brakes well before apex.  He seemed to be running a conservative line, so I thought I'd sneak around the outside on entry rather than potentially take his line away (it is practice after all).  This turned out to be a mistake.  Just as I got my front wheel up along side his rear, he started moving out to the edge of the track, not knowing I was there.  I ran out of room fast and we ended up making contact.  Neither of us went down or off track and I made a clean pass on the next lap.  Even though I was sure no damage had been done, I still made a point to go find the guy after the session and apologize for bumping him.  I wanted him to know that it wasn't intentional, and that I didn't intend to make a habit of running into him (or anyone else for that matter).

Incident #2: Lap 8 of GTL, I was running somewhere around 6th or 7th, and was trying to keep Guy in sight, while occasionally catching an expert or lapping an AM.  I thought I was pretty much alone on the track as no one had shown me a wheel in several laps.  Was pretty sure Guy was the closest bike on the track that I was running with for position.  As I leaned into the 2nd part of T6 hard on the gas, and headed towards the curbing at the apex, I was suprised to have another bike dive inside me and occupy the real-estate I was headed for.  Rather than hit him, I bailed out and ran wide.  Too wide as it turned out, since I actually ran off track and lowsided in the grass at considerable speed.  Now, I wouldn't have risked a pass there myself, but I also knew that, had I not been startled, I surely could've avoided crashing.  That said, I certainly wouldn't have crashed had he not been there.  The rider who made the pass came and found me immediately after the completion of the race to apologize and make sure I, and my bike were ok.  (we were)  This made all the difference, and I went from being moderately upset or at least frustrated, to relatively ok with what had happened.  It was also good to hear his perspective on what had happened.  Apparently he had followed me the lap prior and I had taken a wider line through that corner and he thought he'd have room.  Still a sketch pass perhaps, but at least there was an explanation and it wasn't just a banzai move.

In both cases, owning up to what had happened made all the difference.  You don't want to be out there on track carrying a chip on your shoulder for things that have happened in the past and were left unresolved.  On the flipside, you don't want people out there carrying a grudge against you.  Talk it out right away, apologize if appropriate, accept apologies and move on.
CCS Midwest EX #18
07 GSX-R600
03 SV650s

spyderchick

Quote from: Ridgeway on May 11, 2006, 08:45:04 AM

In both cases, owning up to what had happened made all the difference.  You don't want to be out there on track carrying a chip on your shoulder for things that have happened in the past and were left unresolved.  On the flipside, you don't want people out there carrying a grudge against you.  Talk it out right away, apologize if appropriate, accept apologies and move on.

Very well said. If possible always follow up at the track. When I was "racing" (I was the moving chicane in my day), I had racers come up and ask if I got spooked by getting passed fairly close. I was pretty solid holding my line, so eventually the fast guys would use me as a 'pick' if you will.

Squeeks, I know everyone as well, and I don't think either party wanted any animosity from the incident, I know Dora is certainly sorry that it happened. We all know that race day tensions run high. I still have margaritas left from the party, everyone stop by, have a few and mend some fences.  ;)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

DAmico

I am glad you know she is sorry but no one else does because she has never said it to anyone involved. That was the whole point of my post, owning up to the mistake and SAYING your sorry TO THE PEOPLE INVOLVED. Then no big deal!

Monkey_Star

Quote from: russ1962 on May 10, 2006, 12:06:41 PM

And no wise cracks about mysterious photos of me in a thong, they don't exist.

I think most of us saw that in real life. Although you were much sexier than Mark Stiles... lets hope those photos don't exist. If they do infact existed at one point, lets hope that they were promptly burnt!. :)

spyderchick

Quote from: Monkey_Star on May 11, 2006, 11:34:43 AM
I think most of us saw that in real life. Although you were much sexier than Mark Stiles... lets hope those photos don't exist. If they do infact existed at one point, lets hope that they were promptly burnt!. :)

Well, I remember that day, and if I'm recalling correctly, let's hope a lot of guys got scared when they woke up the next morning and Russ was the wallpaper on their fancy cell phone w/ a camera! Funniest thing I ever saw, Rhiannon comes out in lingerie and gets yawns from the crowd, Russ comes out in the same outfit to cheers and snapping cameras. Y'all are sick puppies! ;) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

russ1962

Quote from: spyderchick on May 11, 2006, 11:51:31 AM
Well, I remember that day, and if I'm recalling correctly, let's hope a lot of guys got scared when they woke up the next morning and Russ was the wallpaper on their fancy cell phone w/ a camera! Funniest thing I ever saw, Rhiannon comes out in lingerie and gets yawns from the crowd, Russ comes out in the same outfit to cheers and snapping cameras. Y'all are sick puppies! ;) ;D

...  thinking of making my own calendar. 

And I'm not making any comments about your lovely daughter.  Don't bait me.
Russ W. Intravartolo, EX #47
mailto:rintravartolo@yahoo.com

spyderchick

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Team-G

Quote from: PaulV on May 10, 2006, 10:09:05 PM
When you target fixate on another rider, ....

Talk about target fixation....Dude, that's one hell of a paint job!!  Should we knock it over in the pits so you don't have to worry about scrashing it?  (scratch/crash = scrash)

chainsaw

G-

If you think the photos make it look good, you should see it in person! All I can say is WOW...yeah, it's all paint too and no decals. 

Later
Chainsaw936

PaulV

Yeah,

Randy and the gang at Innovative Concepts really did a nice job (Too nice for a race bike:).  They picked up on Saturday and I had it mounted Thursday.
We missed you out there last weekend champ, how is the shoulder(s) doing?
Are you going to try for the next BHF?

D,

I understand you contacted Kev today.  Thank you.
I have nothing against you or any new racers.  We need more new folks to help grow the sport and build the community, Welcome.  We have been helping new riders go to the track for some time now and Rick and Jason and the Learning Curves gang or VisionSports crew are some of the best to do it with safely, give them a call.  We look forward to seeing you out there and doing well.

Paul
Polar-Optics
See Better, Ride Safer!