News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

"Backing" it in the corners ! ! !

Started by MJFRacing, January 05, 2003, 09:38:54 PM

Super Dave

I'd think he'll find some kind of happy medium.  It's a tool, and he can use it.  Will be interesting to see.  And how McCoy adapts his speedway style to the Kawasaki.

You can get a similar result from using the front brake hard, but you're not controlling the skid of the rear tire, so it's a bit iffy when you do it...
Super Dave

tzracer

I just wonder how the Honda will like it. Interested in seeing how well the Ducati does.

Have hung out the rear using the front brake. Very hard to control with the rear wheel in the air. Usually required a change of shorts.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

ice

QuotePosted by: Tim Chin Posted on: Jan 6th, 2003, 3:21pm
Actually, the pros who choose to slide with the clutch do so by modulating the clutch fairly carefully, as dumping it tends to leave them few options

I talked with a top midwest rider earlier in the week and he uses the technique mentioned above.  

Super Dave

Who?  I can't think of any experts that I've seen really back it into a corner.
Super Dave

jim_p

S-Dave, Just a question- Can you teach this?? I am also interested in figuring this out. Perhaps offering a clinic  and see how much interest you get. I can do it on a dirt bike but want to make sure I know whats going on before I try it at speed. I don't want to do this to gain any speed, I just thing it looks cool and feel cool in the dirt.

Super Dave

Ok, ok...  it does look cool.  You can work on it on your own.  Get a dirt bike, make an oval on the ice, dirt, or pavement... practice practice practice...  it has a certain feel to it.  You need to get aclimatized for it.  

Me?  I would go to American Supercamps for it.  You'll do it all day long for two days.  That would be a good introduction...
Super Dave

numbskullz58

There are only a few places I was able to back it in and have it work to my advantage. Turn one and the entrance to the chicane @ Daytona. And a little in turn ten @ Brainerd. The main reason it worked was due to the nature on the turns and the huge amount of brakes you are using. It helped to take some of the pressure off the front wheel. I was doing it using the clutch and it helped in these places, but other than that I try my best to keep two wheeles in line, at least entering the turn :)

I think that trying this on a regular basis would do nothing but hurt your lap times, unless this is a style you are used to.

I brought this up to the great Kevin Schwantz and he told me he could count the number of times he used the rear brake on one hand. he says to stay off it unless your in the dirt.

Keep it real,
SA

chris_chops

Steve,
     You are a goober!  You couldn't back into parking stall with scooter. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Matt

numbskullz58

dude i can back my scooter in like no other. i am so good nicky would be envious.

fourandsix

QuoteThere are only a few places I was able to back it in and have it work to my advantage. Turn one and the entrance to the chicane @ Daytona. And a little in turn ten @ Brainerd. The main reason it worked was due to the nature on the turns and the huge amount of brakes you are using. It helped to take some of the pressure off the front wheel. I was doing it using the clutch and it helped in these places, but other than that I try my best to keep two wheeles in line, at least entering the turn :)

I think that trying this on a regular basis would do nothing but hurt your lap times, unless this is a style you are used to.

I brought this up to the great Kevin Schwantz and he told me he could count the number of times he used the rear brake on one hand. he says to stay off it unless your in the dirt.

Keep it real,
SA
I am curious to why anyone would try to back it in T1 at Daytona? The only reason i could see is that you are way off line.

numbskullz58

The bike just seemed to do it buy itself. When i would grab my last down shift it would come around. It didn't seem to help that much and just seemed to happen.

Steve

r6_philly

QuoteI am curious to why anyone would try to back it in T1 at Daytona? The only reason i could see is that you are way off line.

While I was trying to re-obtain my lead in at Daytona this weekend, I found a new line through T-1 at Daytona, for the most part it worked well, actually the announcer even found it interesting to comment on the PA system.

I would go real low at the Start/Finish, then go in way inside, so I would cross the yellow line as early as possible. That way I can begin hard braking after the lines and not being afraid of bike sliding over the lines.Then I would aim for the outside of T1, and begin turn in as late as possible. That way, from Start/Finish I would basically go straight until turn in, or turn very little, that allowed me to brake harder, than if you go wide then turn toward turn1 as most people did.

I used both front and rear brakes and tried to back it in. I am no good at it, and if I was, I could have made up at least 1 second. I really tried, and it got hairy. I would keep the rear brake long enough to make the bike step out slightly, and then get on the gas and slide out toward T2. I didn't do it very well,but well enough to make up the time I lost on the trioval, and got noticed... I was told the announcer said "unusually techniques through turn 1".

I would like to practice it more and get it done. I have learned to slide on the exit to tighten the turn, but back it in seems good for certain turns as well, and a track like second half of CMP comes to mind, if you can pitch your bike sideways through those sharp turns, it would seem you can really shave some times