News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Protecting your trailer?

Started by EX#996, January 05, 2003, 09:36:52 AM

dave333

I had a heavy duty kryptonite lock on my boat trailer.  I forgot it was on there one day when I drove away and it came off easier than with the key.  No noticeable marks on the rim, springs or axle.  I kinda like the idea of covering or removing the tongue area of the trailer with the ball hitch with steel plate and a tough to pick lock.  

Bottom line, if the mango's want it, they will get it.  Insure your trailer and contents for full replacement value...

sdiver68

Put a large "Johnny-On-The-Spot Cleaning Service" graphic on it. :D  Problem solved

I use a ball lock and have it insured
MCRA Race School Instructor

Super Dave

QuoteA Remington 870 and a sticker on the trailer that advises "Trespassers Will Be Violated". ;D

Yeah, baby!

A sawsall will go right through the side or roof.  I someone wants what's inside,  they'll get in.  I sell trailers, so I've seen it.

Insurance is obviously a good idea.  Or just get such a big trailer that they can't move it.  6x10, 6x12's are great targets...and don't need license plate in Wisconain.
Super Dave

GSXR RACER MIKE

I have seen security systems specifically for trailers before, though I am not sure who makes them. I have been looking into security systems/remote starters for my new truck and a couple of them have transmitter/reciever functions in the remote. These systems will actually page you (audible and/or vibrate) thru the remote. If you were to hook-up sensors in your trailer such as a motion detector, window breakage, door switches, etc. (which ever trip your trigger - ha ha) and wired them into the plug for your vehicle (or add a second plug for this purpose only) then the vehicles alarm could page you if they were triggered. Make sure if you do this that you wire at least 1 sensor in the trailer that would trigger the alarm if disconnected from the tow vehicle. This would help to protect both vehicle, trailer, and contents while connected together.
   Since I store my trailer and bikes in a storage shed near my home I wouldn't have to do anymore than previously described normally. You could also buy an alarm soley for the trailer (make sure and use a remote battery for this, don't use the trailers common wiring system). I have seen some wild security system 'toys' that do things like send a radio signal to the alarm from the trigger instead of running wires to the alarm box so you can keep the system hidden easier. Also saw something that utilized a cell phone to contact whatever number(s) are programmed if alarm is triggered, actually allowed you to listen to what was going on and would allow you to speak thru the phone which was mounted in a hands free type unit - would let you mount speaker away from phone itself.
   With a little ingenuity you can dream up a system for your price range that meets your needs. Also contact several alarm installers and pick there brains for a while, some are very interested in doing things that are out of the ordinary (possible on the side for cheaper?). Possibly even check on the cost of a tracking type system if stolen, like Lo-Jack - may not be as expensive as you think.
   The nice thing about a good security system is that your trailer doesn't have to be like a vault to still be protected, and the system can be moved to your next trailer in the future. Proudly display the security stickers and get a flashing led to show that the system is armed. (also follow the 'out of sight - out of mind' suggestion and cover windows to make your trailer and it's contents less of a target)
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Nate R

Simply covering it with a tarp would help keep it out of view, no?
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Super Dave

Or attract more attention.  No way to win.  I used to just use a full size Ford Super Van.  Now, I just have to have a trailer.  
Super Dave

Eric Kelcher

An idea I came up with a couple of years ago for sponsor ads. get a large canvas type banner and strench it over side of trailer when you get to track it can also be used in a pit garage or at a show. this keeps cops from looking at you funny regarding DOT laws and the thieves wondering what you have, they normally don't waste their time just to be curious though.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition