Photos from Road America

Started by aberg12012, April 26, 2006, 05:19:48 PM

aberg12012

Greetings!  Just thought I'd make my first post on the new forum, and invite anyone intarested to view my photo gallery from Road America this past weekend.   Due to lack of time I don't have much up yet, and need to work on the teams' and friends' photos first.  I took way too many photos for just one person to process in a timely manor, so if you are curious what photos (if any) I have of you, let me know and I'll make your photos a higher piority.  (Post a message in the gallery or email me.)  Otherwise keep checking back over the next few weeks as I add photos daily.

http://www.pbase.com/alanjames/ccs_at_road_america_2006

Alan (James) Berg - CCS Amature 119  (As of last Friday!)

barryd

Nice images.... would you mind sharing what hardware you used to get those shots.?.  Very sharp 8)

aberg12012

I don't mind at all.  Those shots were taken hand held with a D70, and Nikor 70-200 f/2,8 VR.  Some of the shots are cropped in quite a bit, as I couldn't get close enough with only 200mm.  I wasn't allowed over the fence, like the pro's, which I can totally understand.  But it's such a sharp lense, cropping usually isn't a problem.

Jeff

What's the major difference between the D70 and D50? 
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

pbfaster

snakemanracing95

Where's my pictures??? I let you use my bike and this is how you treat me???
hehehe. I'll chat with you later in the week tough guy.... See ya @ BHF

Brian.

aberg12012

Hay Brian.  Don't worry... you got photos comming. :D  It just happens you and a couple other friends are more towards the end of all the photos I need to get through.  Rather than bouncing around trying to find specific riders/photos it's much easier to just go through them in the order they were captured.  Otherwise my brain gets all scrambled trying to keep things straight.

And yes... it's a big thanks to you that I even have my liscense for BHF this weekend!  Thanks Buddy! 

aberg12012

Quote from: Jeff on April 28, 2006, 08:55:26 AM
What's the major difference between the D70 and D50? 

Nothing too major... they are both aimed for the "entry level" DSLR market, and as such lack alot of features the pro bodies have, but none the less can caputre photos just as beautifully.  They both have the same image sensor.  The D50 is less expensive, and as such has a few features missing that the D70 has.  The biggest difference is that it takes SD media rather than CF.  Not a big deal unless you already have CF cards for other DSLR bodies.  I think they both have the same frame rate... usually about 4 burst shots in NEF format, then dirt slow after that.  It's funny, everyone told me that's too slow for race photography.  I see others out with their super fast pro bodies, clicking away like a machine gun, but yet I had no problem getting 3 or 4 shots of each rider as he/she came through the bend.  I still ended up with over 3,000 photos, way more than I can deal with! :D

Jeff

the shutter speed was where I was seeing the major difference.  The D70 is 1/8000 second and the D50 is half that at 1/4000 second.

I would think 1/4000 would be ample, but if I'm gonna drop upwards of $1k on a camera, I wanna make DAMNED sure.

From what I have read, the D50 is a newer camera and has some enhanced features over the D70, and should be a bit easier to use.  The CF vs SD kinda sucks as I have a CF setup already, but it doesn't warrant the extra $300 of the D70 for that sole purpose.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Team_Serpent

Pics look great! Please bring CD to Blackhawk this weekend as discussed.

Thanks!
Jason

aberg12012

Quote from: Jeff on May 01, 2006, 09:01:19 AM
the shutter speed was where I was seeing the major difference.  The D70 is 1/8000 second and the D50 is half that at 1/4000 second.

I would think 1/4000 would be ample, but if I'm gonna drop upwards of $1k on a camera, I wanna make DAMNED sure.

From what I have read, the D50 is a newer camera and has some enhanced features over the D70, and should be a bit easier to use.  The CF vs SD kinda sucks as I have a CF setup already, but it doesn't warrant the extra $300 of the D70 for that sole purpose.

It's definately a matter of what fits your budget, and the features you need.  Not what camera expert #208,357,876 says is the better camera. :)  (Something known as "measurebating.")  Have you checked out www.dpreview.com?  That website will tell you more than you need to know about the difference in features between the two.

But here is something to consider:  How much money have you spent on CF cards?  How much would it cost to replace them with SD cards?  Maybe not quite $300, but keep in mind that in the future if you get more serious about photography, you will surely spend well over $300 on memory cards.  Just food for thought.

As far as shutter speed... you would be suprised that 1/8000 comes in pretty handy.  Mostly when shooting in full daylight when you want very shallow depth of focus.  But also very handy when you forget and leave the camera set at 1600 ISO from the night before... lol

Also, if you do get a D50 kit, the 18-70mm DX lense is well worth the extra money.  I wouldn't bother with any of the other "kit" lenses, such as the 18-55 DX or 28-80mm G.  The 18-70mm is a great lense for the money.  Silent, fast AFS focus, and it's very sharp.

I have a first generation D70.  The D70s was updated when they came out with the D50.  It now has a larger LCD, updated auto focus system (cam 1000?) and updated menu screen.

aberg12012

Quote from: Team_Serpent on May 01, 2006, 11:57:20 AM
Pics look great! Please bring CD to Blackhawk this weekend as discussed.

Thanks!
Jason

Thanks Jason for the compliment.  Believe me when I say it means alot to me to hear you like them.  Being a perfectionist I am rarely happy with my own photos.  There's always something wrong with them, if you know what I mean.

Anyways, I'll try my hardest to get the photos done before this weekend.  See you then.

Alan