News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Amatuer money

Started by jim_p, January 04, 2003, 04:00:19 PM

jim_p

what classes does an amatuer need to run to earn the most money on a given weekend,ridding a 600??I assume the GT races,but what sprints pay ?
Thanks

Speedballer347

You'll make about $200 bucks per, for wiinning GTO, GTU, and unlimited GP.
600, 750, and unlim SS pay out pretty good in contingency.
They'll be a lot of guys out there trying to take your lunch money though

Good luck :)
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

FUBAR606

Jim,

I applaud you for thinking so positive on what I assume will be your first year racing. But that aside, if you think you will make a fistful of cash by hitting only the money races, you may want to rethink your agenda. Don't get me wrong, you may be fast as h3ll and might be able to pull it off, but because you have to ask which races payout, I guessing you have not run any races at all, which leads me to believe you have not been exposed to your competition.

The "money races" also cost more to register for, so your ROI (return on investment) has to take that into account if you are looking to cover costs and/or make money.

I realize this reply is presumptious and I am not trying to take anything away from your ability; you may have the right stuff to clean house. I am not one to say. Only you know you what you are capable of.

Feel free to blast me if I am off base on anything...

But, best of luck, regardless!

jim_p

Steve,
I'm not going to blast you, you make some good points. The reason I asked was just to make sure I am in the classes that if things go right, The return will be the greatest.
Jim

memo

QuoteJim,

I applaud you for thinking so positive on what I assume will be your first year racing.

I realize this reply is presumptious and I am not trying to take anything away from your ability; you may have the right stuff to clean house. I am not one to say. Only you know you what you are capable of.

Not to bash on you but they're gonna be a couple really fast amateurs this year racing in the midwest.  You have your work cut out for you. I hope that you can go as fast as you think or (you do) cuz I think that these guys are gonna mop up this year.  I know that last year one was on a R6 and the other was on a GSXR 750.  I don't know what they will be riding this year but I'm sure that everyone will start to know them.   :o
Not even to talk about them, the money races are cut throat everyone will do what it takes to win the money.    It's like a street fight!! ::)
Good luck to you and I wish you the best!! :) :)

Jeff

There is one tried and true method to making a small fortune in racing.

Start out with a large fortune...  :o

Contingency payouts are the best though.  Make sure you have the stickers & form filled out for everything you have...  It certainly made the difference in my racing this last year.  In fact, I just picked up a new set of slicks for about the cost of shipping after cashing in some of my late season contingency certs.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

YTAK_Racing

Do people make money racing??  No one told me.   :P

TZDeSioux

QuoteDo people make money racing??  No one told me.   :P

that's because you have zero percent chance of making money.  ;D

sdiver68

No you will not make money racing, but you can at least mitigate the expense with payouts and contingencies.  Win GTO, GTU,and ULGP and one SS race and you could get back close to $1000 in cash and contingencies.   Take second in those same races and you are looking at maybe ~$600.

IMHO, on a 600, GTU and ULGP ae no brainers to enter.  GTU gives you plenty of track time at race pace so even if you don't finish top 5 "in the money" you are getting excellent practive for the sprints.  ULGP pays back your entry fee back to 10th place, so as long as you are pretty fast you should hit top 10.  GTO is another good race to enter, assuming you are in good enough shape to enter 2 GT's within an hour or so of each other. However, entering both GT's may play havoc with a 1 set of tires per weekend strategy running at winning pace.

Next year's AM field will be tough.  I have personal on-track experience with 5 next year MW-GP-GL AM's that are going to be a threat to win any race.  That doesn't include guys I don't know about, guys who by mid-season have caught up, and the inevitable "natural" or 2.  Maybe you are one of them, and good luck!  Just don't go into it counting on big $ back is all!
MCRA Race School Instructor

stumpy

Whats up with the new Superbike class. Up to 640cc's?Do you know How many laps that is? What do you think would be the best classes for newbie's Obviously the Gt classes will be alot of track time but aren't they pretty cut throat?
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

FUBAR606

640cc's is reflective of engine size, not duration of race. All SB events are sprints, which is to say they are typically 6-8 laps (depending on track/location).

As far as opinions on what events to run, read previous comments within this thread.

I do not feel GT races are "cut throat" at all. Or at the very least no more cut throat than any other event...racing is racing. Everyone has the goal of winning, or at least they should (mixed in with having a good time and being safe). I have seen new, and not so new, racers do "stupid" things in every class at one time or another. I am sure others would agree. But there is not anyone event that is more evident than another. I would agree that the level of competition is greater in GT classes simply because of the purse, but that is not to imply people are intentionally getting run of the track.

Speaking as a relatively new racer myself, I would suggest running in as many events as you can, learn to ride consistent lines, be smooth, be somewhat predictable, and learn to trust your equipment. Speed with come with time, and confidence will be developed with experience. Talk with everybody and ask for their opinion. Offer to help someone whenever you have the chance.

My two (additional) cents...  ;D

charliev

How do i find out what contingencies are available. Florida series, Who's paying, How do i qualify for them?

ecumike

QuoteHow do i find out what contingencies are available. Florida series, Who's paying, How do i qualify for them?

According to Eric, from another thread...
"Normally it starts being announced/released around end of Jan and by Daytona the last of the OEMs have put out their schedules. This is what I have seen for last couple of years."

If you want to see an example of who paid what and how, the 2002 contingencies. are on the ccsracing site, under 'contingency'