RA report...well, it could have been worse

Started by tstruyk, April 24, 2006, 12:18:42 PM

tstruyk

Well race weekend number one of the 06 season is in the books.

After getting body work in on Tuesday and power commander and exhaust in wed it was a long few nights getting everything lined up and in place but we made it!  11:45 Thursday night we turned the final bolt, drank the last beer and headed to seibkens for some rest before the racing began!

Randy kicked ass all weekend and brought home enough wood to finish that addition to his house!  I remember a time when he and I would run nose to tail... I'll get back up to pace.  Becca had a good weekend in LW on the SV.  As for me, tough weekend, took some lumps, looking for a better performance at the next event!

Team Oversprung (formerly known as Team Cidacus) had a rough weekend.  Missing the first round of practice due to the LOOOOOOOOONG line at tech I took the first practice session of the weekend during TC practice.  Bike was WAAAAAAAAAY stiff and needed some setup help BAD.  Got around ok, checked out the new pavement (no complaints) and logged the first laps on the track with the new ride.  LOADS of power, needs some tweaking.  Took it down to ryan who got me a basic setup and swapped it out with Harvey and he took off in the next session.  He felt as I did... not bad, just different!  We need more time!

Ran the last session of practice and am getting a little quicker... Team Challenge should be enough time to get me prepped for sprints!

Harvey lines up to start the race. Rob (Oliva) had decided to fill our 3rd spot that morning so we have decided to run Harvey first, myself 2nd and Rob 3rd.  Harvey gets the flag and nails his launch... bike is hesitating a little like the map is going in and out through first gear.  He settles in and picks up a place ot 2 before T1.  Gets through one clean and is railing!  He is figuring out the bike pretty quick (coming off an 03R6) and running well.  Tipping in for the carousel on the first lap the bike shuts off.   Damn.  Restarts it twists the throttle...nothing.  With the fly-by-wire the cables aren't directly connected to fuel management... they are connected to a sensor that routes through the ECU and then to a servo that controls the fuel.  No ECU connection = no throttle... he coasts through the outside of the  carousel and into the bend where he is directed by a CW to the far side of the track behind the tire barrier.  Apparently the crash truck can get to you, but cant get back up the hill... so we are 7 turns into the 2 hour TC... and are done.  Harvey is stuck on the track and I am stuck in the pits worried about my friend and my bike.  We finally get word back in the pits that it's a mechanical and that JT is fine.

After the race we poke around a bit and finally talk to Ryan Johnson.  Ryan immediately grabs his lap top and comes down to help us out!  A few minutes later we realize one of the connections to the ECU wasn't fully reconnected from when we tapped one of its wires.  A quick press on the connection clipped it into place, cleared the code and we where back in business!  Thanks again Ryan!

MWGP is the first race on Saturday.  Rain in the AM kept me off the track for practice, I am gridded in the back which is fine... and get a HORRIBLE launch!  I need to work on that!  Rip through 4 gears, back it down one into 3rd for T1 and away we go.  I am able to pick off a bike or 2 heading into 5 and decide just to take it smooth, wait for opportunities to present themselves for passing and make smart decisions.  Long story short, made a few passes, got passed a few times (damn it Dozer!!!), picked up the pace and made it through the race without issue or incident.  The PC worked fine, suspension and geometry are a bit off, I'll make some changes for next race.

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

tstruyk

MWSS was entertaining to say the least.  The starter had been quick on the draw with the flag all weekend... not so much this race.  I jump the start a bit, backed off, and of course was left in the dust.  Up to pace through turn 4 I see a chance to make a big move passing 4-5 riders in one motion.  Everyone is binding up trying to hold the inside line of 5.  I am going to trail brake around ALL of them, and drive up the hill into 6 ahead of them all!  Haha...It was a well thought out plan that apparently wasn't original.  As the group check up WAY early I shoot to the outside and begin to get on the binders JUST as another guy sees the same window I do.  I have no where to do but over the rumbles and onto the concrete outside of 5... I slow it down get it turned in time to see the rest of the fields charging up the hill.  Put my head down and am back in the pack coming out of 7 down the hill into 8.  Get 1-2 guys under braking and run a bit wide, lose back on spot but make the 2nd stick.  Get through the carousel passing back the spot I lost, lose it back under braking... this is getting fun.  Draft back passed him on the straight into kettle bottoms... he out brakes me into Canada Corner up the inside.  I get a MUCH better drive outta Canada corner and am closing FAST on another rider.  My line takes me to the outside of  this other rider just as I tip in under the bridge when DAMN!!!  The guy I passed coming out of Canada corner has ALSO passed this other rider (to the Inside) and we are damn near rubbin elbows!  We charge down the hill into the last corner braaaaaaaaaake tip in and it's a drag race down the straight!  I tuck in for draft but his drive pulls him a hair outta my range!  I follow him around for ¾ of that lap but I am a bit outta rhythm and I eventually lose touch with him.  Too bad... that shit was fun!  I work the rest of the race on brake markers and turn in points, I drop .5 sec per lap the last 3 laps...I know I got mid to low 30's in me.  

LOTSA crashed the last 3 laps of the race (I think I counted 5 waiving yellows..)  but hey.. thats MWSS for ya  ;)

Rain the rest of the weekend keeps me off the track (should have run Sunday, it dried up just before the race... mostly).

Big thanks to everyone that helped get the bike ready for the race!  Hopefully I can have a bit more success with some seat time and set up complete!  Heading to HPT may 13th with STT/Lithium to get some seat time and work on set up.

Top 10's to come, stay tuned!
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

r1owner

Whew! When I read mechanical, I was like damn, hope the exhaust didn't fall off! ;)

Nice write up Tim.

tstruyk

QuoteWhew! When I read mechanical, I was like damn, hope the exhaust didn't fall off! ;)

Nice write up Tim.

thanks again for your help gettin that on!  would have taken all night without ya!
CCS GP/ASRA  #85

Burt Munro

Bet you'll know what to look for the next time you get a code #59 error message! ;D
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

tstruyk

yeah... thinking maybe pack the OWNERS MANUAL next time...  ;D

Hey give me a call this week, i have your scanner
CCS GP/ASRA  #85