2001 R6 Track issues

Started by gsxrsrad1000, April 20, 2006, 06:37:37 AM

gsxrsrad1000

Hello all, I am not a mechanic, but know my way around bikes.  I was at a track day this past Monday and my 2001 r6 bucked on me at 90mph, I looked down and notice the oil light was flashing and the temp guage read 280 then flashed HIGH...HIGH....HIGH so I squeezed in the clutch , pulled over and took it back.  The bike would not start after that.  I would turn the bike on with the kick stand up and the clutch pulled in, the lights would work, but when I hit the starter button you would hear a click and the lights would shut off.  I waited a day to let the battery charge and went for it again, now the starter button does not do anything.  After reading I noticed that the Startup Control Cutoff Circuit (SCCR) could be the problem, along with the Starter switch.  I tested continuity in the SCCR for the circuit, ignition, starter, and fuel pump.  Everything checked out but the fuel pump.  The Starter Switch relay passed the continutity test as well.  I went to test the fuel pump by applying 12v strait to it and I got nothing.  Now linking thsee two issues together leads me to believe I got a bad fuel pump.  My question is, If the fuel pump is bad, would the SCCR stop the bike from cranking?  Furthermore, since the fuel pump test failed on the SCCR does this mean I should replace the SCCR as well as the pump, or just the pump?  Has anyone experienced this problem with a 99-02 Yamaha R6 Before?

Super Dave

QuoteI was at a track day this past Monday and my 2001 r6 bucked on me at 90mph, I looked down and notice the oil light was flashing and the temp guage read 280 then flashed HIGH...HIGH....HIGH so I squeezed in the clutch , pulled over and took it back.  The bike would not start after that.

Does it have oil?  That hot and locking up...sounds mechanical, not electrical.  Especially if it "won't start"...  Does it have any coolant in it?

Just my quick thoughts...not necessarily an answer.
Super Dave

cardzilla

I agree with Dave, it sounds mechanical.  The combination of the oil light and VERY high temp is bad. Is the light oil level or pressure?  I ran into trouble on my R1 by assuming it was pressure when it was the level.

Before you pulled in the clutch was the rear tire still spinning or did it lock?  If your starter won't turn the motor over, remove the cover and try by hand.  If it's not moving you've found the problem and it's mechanical.

The only other thing I can think of without seeing it is a complete ECU melt down.  Something that may have sent crazy numbers to your dash and shut the bike down.  Did the bike seem to you to be at 280 degrees?
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

gsxrsrad1000

Oil level was fine and coolant level also, the bike read 283 before it dissapeared and started reading just HIGH.  I took the starter cover off and I didn't spin the starter gear but I'll have to try that.  When I pulled in the clutch the bike just rolled to a stop, nothing seemed to have locked up and after breaking the bike down and looking over stuff, there were no metal shavings in the oil and no coolant so that was good sign.  It just seems electrical because when you press the starter button you can hear the SCCR relay click, then you do not hear anything else until a few seconds later you hear another click.  If you try and press the start button, you click and it sounds like the starter wants to engage but it does not.  I took the gear off the starter thinking that if I start it with the gear off I will at least hear it spin, but that was not the case.  That is what lead me to believe it was something electrical that was not permitting the bike to start.

Super Dave

Start with the easy stuff.  Attach a socket to something that will allow you to turn the crank.  If you had a catestrophic failure, it's locked and there wouldn't necessarily been time to circulate a whole bunch of pieces in the oil.

I think this question was asked of you before...Was the bike hot?  Not the guage, but did it feel hot?  Hotter than normal hot.
Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteI took the gear off the starter thinking that if I start it with the gear off I will at least hear it spin, but that was not the case.  That is what lead me to believe it was something electrical that was not permitting the bike to start.

Which gear?  Did you remove the starter or take off the cover and try it that way?
Super Dave

gsxrsrad1000

I took off the cover and took off this gear that connects to a bigger gear that looks like its attached to the crank.  I took off the plug to the timing gear so I could turn the crank with a socket, but it seemed as though I was over tightening the bolt.  When I went in the other direction, I actually loosend the bolt.  The bike did not feel hot and out of the ordinary.

Super Dave

QuoteI took off the cover and took off this gear that connects to a bigger gear that looks like its attached to the crank.  I took off the plug to the timing gear so I could turn the crank with a socket, but it seemed as though I was over tightening the bolt.  When I went in the other direction, I actually loosend the bolt...

From here, I can't see what you're doing or give you an exact answer.  But...

it might be worth taking out hte spark plugs and trying to turn the motor over again.  If it's stuck and it feels like you're over tightening...it might be mechanically locked up...  But no way for me to really say via the internet...
Super Dave

gsxrsrad1000

Great, naw you bring up a very valid point, that is one thing I did not think about.  Compression will be freed up a lot so I should be able to do that, if it doesn not crank over than I know one of those damn pistons or camshaft have seized.
Cool, thanks for your help and prompt responses.  I checked out your site, I like that.  Rider schools are great.  Not sure if you heard of corner speed, but I went to them for my license.  Take care, I'll let you know what I find out just for kicks.
Paul

Super Dave

I've met Aaron a couple times.  Nice guy.  I teach amateur and expert licensed racers how to go quicker too.  Even worked with a group out at Summit Point a couple years ago.

Tell us what you find.
Super Dave

gsxrsrad1000

Cool no problem, yeah I like Arron, been out to like 3 of his track days at VIR.  Man I love the Grand course there.  So how did you like summit?  I am an hour from there and I'll probably head up there in the next couple of weeks for a track day.

Super Dave

Summit's cool.  VIR is neat too.  You've got a couple of very good opportunities.
Super Dave