News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

DO NOT BUY TRANSPONDERS!!!

Started by TiffineyIngram, January 03, 2003, 04:49:06 PM

duc995@aol.com

If I had to guess I would bet that the previous owner of GLRRA...Erick Nacke...is the one trying to sell the transponders!  Last year he said he would pay me for mine, after I moved, so I sent it back to MI from AZ...but he never reimbursed me.  He from that point on refused to return email.  Next thing you know GLRRA went belly-up!  Beware!

TiffineyIngram

Hey guys!  Sorry for a late response, I have the flu...this is not the birthday weekend I had in mind!  Anyway, these transponders will not work with any other system.  As far as the Formula USA race at Loudon, that is up to Kevin and Don.  This system's transponders come with a (I think it's nylon) pouch which from what I understand you can purchase as many as you need.  Both the pouch and the transponder have been crash tested, and the pouch survived in 99% of those crashes.  Believe me, the transponders survived quite well also.  The pouch has two holes that will need to be mounted to the tail section of your bike.  The only stipulation is that there can be no metal between the transponder and the ground.  I realize that this can cause a problem for the 125 and 250 classes, but we will work out a place for proper mounting for those.  Either way, transponders are not used for line calls, so even if Guy A's transponder is in front of Guy B's, but Guy B is actually in front of Guy A at the line, guy B will still win.  Somewhere in this flu-delerious state, that makes sense.
 :D

Nate R

Eh? I don't understand about the metal between transponder and the ground. What about the metal in the wheel?  And, how does that affect the 125s and 250s any differently? Can someone or Tiffeny fill me in here?
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

TiffineyIngram

For the new system, we use a loop built into the track in the ground.  Metal deflects the radio signal coming from the transponder.  The only bikes we've had a problem with were the 125s and 250s with metal (or carbon fiber) in their tail section.  The average 600, 750, or 1000 (or SV) hasn't given the new system a problem.  Even with the small bikes, the majority of the riders didn't have any difficulty with mounts on the tail--we're being extra cautious.

GAMEDIC

What about the ones of us who have a Power Comandeer under that tail section?...will it affect anything either way?

GPgofast

When tested in Vegas it worked well on my F4i and the powercomander module was directly underneath. No apparent problems. GP

GAMEDIC

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteEh? I don't understand about the metal between transponder and the ground. What about the metal in the wheel?  And, how does that affect the 125s and 250s any differently? Can someone or Tiffeny fill me in here?

Ditto ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

the_weggie_man

What about tracks that don't have a loop?  Did Blackhawk put a loop under their new surface that we don't know about?

EX#996

QuoteWhat about tracks that don't have a loop?  Did Blackhawk put a loop under their new surface that we don't know about?

Oooo...

Good question.  I look forward to hearing the answer to this one.

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Eric Kelcher

The loops are installed AFTER track is laid. You use a masonry saw and cut a groove then place wire and seal over the top of it. Looks like the loops that the city puts in for traffic light signalling. so it is not "in" pavement.

Ah Nate didn't Tiff already answer that question?  ???

Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

the_weggie_man

Good luck getting BHF to cut a groove in their new surface.  They were very careful to not have any seems in their new surface. Now you are going to ask them to make a cut across the track?

I can't wait to hear their response to that.  When CCS heard they were redoing the track, did it ever occur to anyone to say, "Hey, wait a minute, maybe we should talk to them about this loop before the track is done?