POSSIBLE FORUM DOWNTIME THIS WEEKEND

Started by Jeff, April 07, 2006, 05:42:17 AM

Jeff

I'll be poking around this weekend and may need to take the forum offline for short periods.  If it is down, don't be alarmed, it'll be back in a few...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

Super Dave

spyderchick

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Jeff

If all goes well, it will be moved and upgraded this weekend.  However, we likely will not be on the new server for USE until sometime next week...  (again, if all goes well)

The big issue is how long it will take to have the registrar & DNS's changed/updated.

What I don't want to do is have extended downtime (days) and I don't want to lose any content.  So what I will likely do is pack up everything, move it to the new server, upgrade it and then do the DNS changes/work.  

I still have some questions on the process that I'm working out.

It would be MUCH easier if this forum was on a release of code that was database driven, but this shit is ancient and is all text based.  You ever see 115,000 individual text files?  96mb of TEXT.  It ain't pretty...

Additionally, there will be a URL change, but I will provide redirects.  
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Suzy

Thanks for the warning Jeff, hmmmmmm, guess we'll have to go fool around with the WERA boys for a little while, LOL.  ;D

spyderchick

Oh Joy, sounds like a lot of work. Thanks Jeff, we won't dessert you...(just play over in the other sandbox whilst awaiting our CCS fix) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Jeff

truly I don't know that there will be any downtime for certain.  I just wanted to get the word out in case there is...

Just keepin y'all in the loop...
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

H-man

Maybe we can start a thread over at the WERA BBS complaining about not being able to get into the "CCS BBS" and speculating about what's going on?  ::)  ;)
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

WebCrush

QuoteIf all goes well, it will be moved and upgraded this weekend.  However, we likely will not be on the new server for USE until sometime next week...  (again, if all goes well)

The big issue is how long it will take to have the registrar & DNS's changed/updated.

What I don't want to do is have extended downtime (days) and I don't want to lose any content.  So what I will likely do is pack up everything, move it to the new server, upgrade it and then do the DNS changes/work.  

I still have some questions on the process that I'm working out.

It would be MUCH easier if this forum was on a release of code that was database driven, but this shit is ancient and is all text based.  You ever see 115,000 individual text files?  96mb of TEXT.  It ain't pretty...

Additionally, there will be a URL change, but I will provide redirects.  

why not write a script that breaks each of the text files down to atomic units that could be CSV or DB aware?

Jeff

Quotewhy not write a script that breaks each of the text files down to atomic units that could be CSV or DB aware?

because there is no plan or purpose in keeping the forum running in its current software (which is ancient, feature lacking and VERY insecure)

It's a simple conversion actually.  I've just never seen code this old.  When I got into YaBB forums, they were already using MySQL instead of simple perl scripts.

The conversion package is already written, tested and functions completely.  There's no sense in reinventing that wheel.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

WebCrush

well, if the convert package already exists and works, why the complaining about how much easier it would be if it were DB driven?  

HAWK

Jeff,

I have no idea how big your operation is but if the DNS issue is what you are worried about for downtime... I switched my DNS servers to ZoneEdit years ago (completely independent of registrar) and have been quite happy. No DNS downtime in 3 or 4 years, upto 5 domains at no charge (again don't know how big your operation is) and practically instant DNS updates (usually 1 minute tops).

Just a thought, may not apply.

Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413