News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Shifting

Started by FastBoy, January 01, 2003, 12:37:51 PM

wpasicznyk

Advantage: blip throttle on upshifts = more time on the gas = better acceleration.  Put pressure on the shifter, quickly blip the throttle and it will go up a gear.  This can be proven easily on a chassis dyno.

Disadvantage: Downshifting without the clutch (blipping the throttle or not) will cause damage to the shifter drum and other transmission components.  This leads to lots of transmission rebuilds.  i.e. if you don't have lots of time and/or money, use the clutch while down shifting.

It is common to blip the throttle on down shifts while using the clutch and keeping the engine in the proper rpm range so as to keep spikes of engine braking from upsetting the chassis.  To give an idea of how effective this is (engine braking) Curtis Roberts reports that he doesn't use the rear brake but uses the engine braking to brake the rear lose on corner entry.

Super Dave

I thought this post was dead...

QuoteIt is common to blip the throttle on down shifts while using the clutch and keeping the engine in the proper rpm range so as to keep spikes of engine braking from upsetting the chassis.  To give an idea of how effective this is (engine braking) Curtis Roberts reports that he doesn't use the rear brake but uses the engine braking to brake the rear lose on corner entry.

You're saying two things that aren't related, or you need to really explain.  

If you blip the throttle on down shifts, you match the revs between all the components.  To break loose the rear tire with engine braking (and the old atage was, "the engine is not a brake") you have to get the rear wheel moving slower than the ground speed...which you're not gonna do if you blip on your downshift.  (And Curtis seems to have this way of destroying things now doesn't he...)
Super Dave

handicapped_raceer

QuoteMaybe you haven't been paying attention:

Pre-loading the shifter IS the way to do it whether you're fanning the clutch or just backing off of the throttle a litttle.

You just take the "play" out of the linkage.  As soon as the torque is removed from the transmission, the next gear is engaged.
Um er either way there er silly rabbit you will damage your shift forks,  The word that sticks out is "Preload" I think your reffering to premature Ejaculation! Lmao! dude get a Clue!

Decreasing_Dave

QuoteUm er either way there er silly rabbit you will damage your shift forks,  The word that sticks out is "Preload" I think your reffering to premature Ejaculation! Lmao! dude get a Clue!

YOU DON'T WANT TO GO THERE!!

If you don't think that I'm explaining it correctly, then fine.  If you don't believe what I'm saying then fine.   If you don't want the advise that's great.  As I remember it, it was never about you anyway.

BUT DON'T GET CONDECENDING WITH ME.

This is a good board with what seem to be quality people sharing the same interest and ideas.  If you don't want to share, then don't.  If you don't like what's been shared, then don't read it/use it.  If your going to have an attitude, take it to another board.

Besides, at least I can spell my name.
 >:(

handicapped_raceer

QuoteYOU DON'T WANT TO GO THERE!!

If you don't think that I'm explaining it correctly, then fine.  If you don't believe what I'm saying then fine.   If you don't want the advise that's great.  As I remember it, it was never about you anyway.

BUT DON'T GET CONDECENDING WITH ME.

Lol I went there! And i'm glad you have a good memory! I can spell my name fine, actually im kinda tired of this thread! Didn't mean to offend you , but in turn don't care too much either ;D  So see ya when i see ya!

This is a good board with what seem to be quality people sharing the same interest and ideas.  If you don't want to share, then don't.  If you don't like what's been shared, then don't read it/use it.  If your going to have an attitude, take it to another board.

Besides, at least I can spell my name.
 >:(

Zac

OK, this one was so funny I had to make a post...

The ultimate experiance in rev matching: I did an Arroyo Seco track day last year while I was between my old Duc 750SS and my new (to me) R6, so I taped up my Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro and took it out.  With no possible way of changing gear short of a new pinion and ring gear, I was forced to use first for the bus stop.  The procedure went something like this.

1- Close throttle
2- Brake
3- lay off braking to concentrate on shift
4- Pull in clutch
5- Push down shift pedal
6- Keep holding shift pedal down
7- Feel it click through neutral
8- Hold shift pedal down some more
9- Wait until it clunks into first
10- Hold shift peal down another split second
11- Perform long division in head to determine correct RPM for current road speed
12- Attain correct RPM within +/- 50
13- Slowly let out clutch
14- Continue braking

If done properly, the rear wheel should have only hopped three times or so.

The only thing that made this once a lap cycle of fear worth it was driving past 600s out of corners on what my wife calls an "old man bike"...

-Zac

Super Dave

Guzzi...Cool!

Was it more fun than the 750SS?  (It isn't an "old man" bike when you're whacking on new stuff...LOL)
Super Dave