News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Shifting

Started by FastBoy, January 01, 2003, 12:37:51 PM

Decreasing_Dave

Quoteand if you pre load the shifter you will be re-building you transmission :o so do that boys and girls

Maybe you haven't been paying attention:

Pre-loading the shifter IS the way to do it whether you're fanning the clutch or just backing off of the throttle a litttle.

You just take the "play" out of the linkage.  As soon as the torque is removed from the transmission, the next gear is engaged.

Super Dave

I can see where you're coming from...

But it is really hard to feel exactly what is play, and what is actually putting a load on the trans.  Yes, there is some slop in the shift lever, but if you get it loaded enough that the drum is trying to move the shift fork, you will have heat and wear.  Might bend the fork and/or burn it.

If you're loading in enough where you do let off and it shifts, you are loading it.  
Super Dave

Bernie

Hmmm.  I find that I subconsciously apply "upshift" pressure to the shift lever for a period of time before I shift.  Maybe a second or two here and there.  Is that causing wear, heat and other evil things?

chris_chops

Preload the shifter?
If it works for you than good luck, seriously.  But it sounds like a recipe for disaster.  Most top level racers are quick enough to beat even a high-dollar quick shifter.  They have them to worry about one less thing.  Clutchless upshifts are the way and how to use the clutch and throttle on downshifts are dependent upon speed, experience and personal preference. Not to mention lots of practice. What works for rider A on a zx-6 may not work for rider B on a 916.  Look at either the Performance Bikes or Superbike article on this matter of upshifts and quickshifters from a couple of months ago(I know, kind of vague).  Does somebody out there know which mag and month I'm talking about.  I knew I shouldn't have thrown those away!  

Super Dave

QuoteHmmm.  I find that I subconsciously apply "upshift" pressure to the shift lever for a period of time before I shift.  Maybe a second or two here and there.  Is that causing wear, heat and other evil things?

Yes or no.  If you're putting pressure on it, letting off, and it's shifting... you probably have pressure on it that is causing some wear, etc.  Now, I'm sure that even when someone lets off and shifts, there is a certain amount of wear and all.  But preloading it has to put some stress into it.

Chris...  You get to see this stuff.  You should know.  But lots of those guys are probably the poser "I've got an XYZ Aprilitzida"...  So, they might not see redline?  Tell me...  Or do you see some sloppy shifter guys...
Super Dave

Thingy

Please....make...topic...go away....

I am having flashbacks! ::)
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

TZ_Boy

I thought this thread was dead!  Dave is right if you are letting off the throttle and it's shifting then you are grinding away at your shift forks.  This loading is trying to move the drum which is pushing the fork against the spinning gear.  This wear and possible bending will lead to the fork being unable to push the gear far enough to engage.  Clutchless upshifts when rolling off the throttle will not damage your transmission.

DRU2

My bike is set up for GP shifting. When im not shifting im on the balls of my feet. So i dont think Im preloading it .so theres no wear i new that i was woundering what could cause it on the down shift mech or head problems?

tzracer

QuoteMy bike is set up for GP shifting. When im not shifting im on the balls of my feet. So i dont think Im preloading it .so theres no wear i new that i was woundering what could cause it on the down shift mech or head problems?

ISTR your problem is false neutrals when down shifting.

Have you tried changing the position of the shifter (try lowering it)? It is possible that when you down shift you are not moving the shifter far enough.

Have you crashed lately? A crash can cause transmission problems, espaecially if the shifter hit the ground.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

DRU2

You know what i went down a Gingerman on that side.and if i remember correctly it started after that.So, now that I know that what could be the problem?

TZ_Boy

Dru2, what exactly is your bike doing or not doing?

tzracer

The usual problems from crashing are bent shift forks, bent shift fork shafts, and bent shift shafts. You may have to take it apart and have a look.

Did the shifter hit the ground when you crashed?
Is the shifter in the same location before and after the crash?
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke