How do I get started racing

Started by guitarman, March 15, 2006, 12:09:02 PM

guitarman

I would like to get some ideas on how I can get started racing.  I have been riding bikes for years on the street but have never raced.  I am 44 years old 195lbs and need to be in a slow class for old people to get started.  What kind of bike should I buy?  What class would I race in?

The thing that has me started on this is my son's experience in dirt bike racing.  He got a magazine the other day that showed kids racing rice rockets.  He asked me how he could do that as well and I have checked into it a little.  Anybody out there got any suggestions about kids starting road racing?

Thanks for any help you can give me

mike_rbm

Start off with a track day or a school. (Sorry fellow CCS members.) An org like Nesba is perfect for a complete amature. From that you will meet people and educate yourself on how much commitment and capital is required. Good luck and have fun!!!!

Scott

George_Linhart

Track days are better for starting than racing - I also like NESBA (www.nesba.com) for a variety of reasons.

For a bike, find an older used racebike, preferably something in the lightweight or middleweight class.  It will be cheaper than converting a street bike yourself and will be ready to race when you are.

I would be a big fan of starting out on either an SV650 or a Honda F2/F3.  The first generation SVs are reliable but the second generation ones have an issue with blowing engines.  The F2/F3 generation bikes have steel frames which are almost impossible to destroy and the engines last virtually forever as long as you change the oil regularly.  Parts for either are easy to find used and cheap.  Both handle well if set up properly and are a blast to ride.  If you don't mind being even more down on power, EX500 and Ninja 250's are out there and could be good to learn on, however, these would potentially be more limiting.

Don't try to save money on safety equipment - high quality leathers, golves, boots and helmets are not cheep but a bad crash without adequate protection would not be a good idea.

For classes - CCS has formula 40, but its not much less competitive than the regular classes.  A lot of those guys are fast and are out to win.

Good Luck,

George

Steviebee

come spend some time at the race track during a race weekend.  If your in the midwest/indiana look me up.

K3 Chris Onwiler

For a really excellent discription of exactly what you're in for, check out //www.chrisonwiler.com
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

DanO966

best thing to do is get a *black* american express card... ;D
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

LMsports

Great suggestion Stevie! C'mon out and hang out for a weekend at the track. Mingle with some of the racers, ask a ton of questions, and see if it "fits".
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

JBraun

Rice rockets? I don't know where they race those but it sounds like a good time.
Are you gonna race Middleweight Rice Rocket, or Unlimited Rice rocket? Must be a WERA class or something...
Just kidding dude, I agree with Stevie and Rob. Just come out to the track during a race weekend and check it out.
Be careful, you could get hooked! ;D
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

guitarman

What about my son?  He is 8 years old and is riding on the dirt..  he wants something like a YSR50.  I have talked with Ozzie Saez who runs the mini GP...  Anybody got any ideas about the YSR50 and what it is made for?  Was it made for kids?

Jeff

QuoteWhat about my son?  He is 8 years old and is riding on the dirt..  he wants something like a YSR50.  I have talked with Ozzie Saez who runs the mini GP...  Anybody got any ideas about the YSR50 and what it is made for?  Was it made for kids?

www.dieseljo.com

mini-motard is the way for you to go with him.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

dicatirider944

QuoteWith a big 'ole pile of cash.

+ a credit card with a high limit when the cash runs out!