Any tricks on bleeding brakes?

Started by boingmotorsports, March 13, 2006, 02:41:04 PM

boingmotorsports

I am trying to use a brake bleeder to bleed my brakes and not having any luck. I keep bleeding the right side, left side, the master itself, and repeated that several times, but the lever still has no substaintial resistance to it. It's a Brembo master with Goodridge steel lines. I'm not getting any air bubbles from the left side or the master, but the right side seems to have some bubbles. Could that mean there's a leak in that line? Is there a certain sequence that I should do that order in? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
2009 ZX6R Boing! Motorsports #711 CCS Midwest

G-reg

once I get most of it out at the calipers I'll leave it sit for awhile and then crack the banjo bolt at the top, or if you have one of those fancy new bikes the bleeder screw at the top use that instead  ;D  

Squeeze and hold the lever, open the bolt and let the fluid come out, and tighten it back down all while holding the lever in..  Then release the lever, hit it a couple times quickly to get some feel in it, and repeat..  No special brake bleeder needed.

After 5 or 6 times its usually pretty good for me..  Just shove a nice big towel or rag under the banjo bolts up top to soak up the fluid.  I do it with the reservoir cap off too.
--Greg
MW EX#84

boingmotorsports

Hmmm....
Well I have the bleeder on the master, and I've been doing that. I'll try the "Squeeze and hold the lever, open the bolt and let the fluid come out, and tighten it back down all while holding the lever in..  Then release the lever, hit it a couple times quickly to get some feel in it, and repeat." with both caliper and the master bleeder tonight. thanks.

tzracer

You do not have to tighten the bleeder bolt between squeezes when bleeding manually. Open the bleeder slightly, sqeeze lever, release, squeeze lever - repeat until reservoir is almost empty. Hold lever after last squeeze, tighten bleeder. Refill reservoir. Repeat as needed.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

boingmotorsports

Still no luck. Also tried what tzracer suggested. There is some resistence, and it does stop the front wheel on the stand. But I can literally pull the lever all the way to the grip. Any way to detect air leaks?

Gixxerblade

Go around and check the torque on all the banjo bolts.You might need new crush washers as well. If you have to you might think of disassembing the calipers as the seals tend to wear out. I usually do what tzracer does except I use smaller squeezes so the bubbles don't escape back into the system, unless you have a speedbleeder. Speaking of bleeders, I almost forgot, air sometimes likes leaking around those too.

damico

Take a zip ty and squeeze the brake lever as tight as you can get it it, if goes to the bar so be it. Leave the brake lever zip ty'd to the bar for a day. Not only can this sometimes allow trapped air out but can also point out leaking or broken parts. If this does not work your master cylinder may need to be rebuilt. It is very easy to do and pretty cheap.

Steviebee

Find your best buddy,  and brag to him how stiff your brake lever is.   Then the contest is on !!!

Worked for me and Stumpy.   We tried everything to get a good lever.

The zip tie thing and frequet bleeding is a must.

Super Dave

QuoteTake a zip ty and squeeze the brake lever as tight as you can get it it, if goes to the bar so be it. Leave the brake lever zip ty'd to the bar for a day. Not only can this sometimes allow trapped air out but can also point out leaking or broken parts. If this does not work your master cylinder may need to be rebuilt. It is very easy to do and pretty cheap.

+1

Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteFind your best buddy,  and brag to him how stiff...

:o :o :o

;D
Super Dave

SVbadguy

I like to use a syringe to inject fluid into the system through the caliper bleeder bolts.
Mid-Atlantic Region 
MARRC Exec Committee at-large & Radio Committee Chair

boingmotorsports

I bought some speedbleeders and crush washers and waiting for delivery. I'll see how that goes.