News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Any tricks on bleeding brakes?

Started by boingmotorsports, March 13, 2006, 02:41:04 PM

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: SVbadguy on March 31, 2006, 04:30:38 PM
I like to use a syringe to inject fluid into the system through the caliper bleeder bolts.

I know someone who does this on all his toys with good results - but I have never tried it myself.

If you don't get it I have a trick that may work that I used to get my freinds Mini-Motard brakes working after he replaced his lines. Keep us updated! :)
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

boingmotorsports

Well - I've resorted to rebuilding the calipers. Got them apart, but only ordered enough quantity seals for one caliper. See if that does it.
2009 ZX6R Boing! Motorsports #711 CCS Midwest

Z-man

First with the mity vac, you have to remove your brake bleeder and either use teflon tape or bake this solvant on them.  If not the suction is strong enough that it will suck air through your threads and it will never get all the air out.  I don't like teflon tape because it will disolve in your brake fluid.

Mity vacs are good to get a decent amount of fluid through but then I recommend moving to the traditional way to finish the job(I do the same with speed bleeders)

Questions and then a couple tricks.

What did you change that caused you to have to drain your brakes? 
Did you change the master cylinder or something that touched the crush washers?  (Brembo master cylinders need their own special bajo bolt, using a stock one may not allow the cable fittings to match up or may create openings for air).
If nothing, were your brakes in decent shape before you started?

tricks
stop with the mity vac go to the traditional way.

grab a small water bottle and poke a hole in the top that will allow a tight seal on a piece of aquarium tubing.  Put the clear tubing into the hole and squeeze the bottle to get all the air out.  Put the tubing onto the brake bleeder.(this will cause some suction and help the process slightly).

Pump the brakes a few times, hold it hard against the bar or as close as you can get and then open the valve very very quickly. If you open it slow there isn't much flow and air bubbles can be tricky, you got to have a mad rush of fluid leaving the bike.  Once you get to the bar hold the lever there and tighten the bleeder bolt.

Repeat as neccessary, start at the top and work away from the master cylinder.

Next trick, grab a rubber mallet and hit the calipers lightly a few times to help the air bubbles get to the bleeder, same on the master cylinder but use the back of a screwdriver.
Next start on the lines start at the calipers and start tapping the lines with the back of a screwdriver all the way up the lines into the master cylinder.

Bleed again using the above method.

When finished put the cover back on the res and pull on the lever (doesn't have to be all out tight as described above) attach a zip tie or two to keep compression.

Bleed until you don't see air bubbles.  If this doesn't work it is definitely something else.

Z
CCS #79 EX

2007 Sponsors
Speedwerks, Team Pro-Motion, Martinmoto.com, Turner Landscaping, CTR, Redline Motorsports, Oxtar, Pirelli, Amsoil, LP, Vortex