Gas rules

Started by Green_Knight, March 03, 2006, 03:30:12 PM

Green_Knight

Is it leagle to use a proplyen oxide additive to gas?

Super Dave

No.

Often it's debateable whether you can get it to work consistently anyway.

You know the suspension set up will give you more consistent results.
Super Dave

Green_Knight

hmmm... why is proplylen oxide illeagle when running race fuel is basicly the same as adding proplylen oxide to pump gas?

Super Dave

Because it isn't.  Propylene Oxide is not lead or any of the ethers that are in oxygenated racing fuels or pump gas.

Who's telling you that it is?
Super Dave

Green_Knight

I was talking to Allen at Racing Unlimited in Fort Dodge.  I may have interpreted him wrong.

What about mixing 50/50 pump gas and race fuel?  I'm looking for a way to get a little extra umph without paying out the a$$ for gas.

Super Dave

Does Big Al know you know me?  LOL!

Lead is good.  Yeah, pump gas and a leaded 110 fuel is a pretty good mix.  The lead will usually help the burn charateristics, while the unleaded street fuel has a faster flame burn with a little oxygenate.

Big gain?  I don't think so.

Would I run a straight leaded racing fuel like a 110.  No.  That usually will produce less power and acceleration than pump gas.

A leaded oxygenated racing fuel is what you're really looking for.  But that will cost some good bling.  

The trick would be to figure out some kind of mix using the same leaded racing fuel plus pump gas.  Pump gas is relatively consistent, but the oxygenate and the amount can vary in market to market due to designer EPA mandated blends.  Additionally, leaded fuels can be different too.  Find one that you can buy consistently.  One in seal containers is even better.

Super Dave

Green_Knight

Yeah, Al and I were talking about you when I first called up.  I really like the guys there.  Its the only dealer around here that I've found that is actually into racing.  He was telling me about the bike he built for you for Daytona.

When I was at Racing Unlimited Al was telling me about this 105 race fuel he was going to be getting in soon.  He said it might be a good one to try a 50/50 mix.  He said something about a mix simliar to it dropping .10 sec off a 1/4 mile time of a drag bike.  I thought it would be worth a try since the 03 is a little down on power.  Needs smaller intake ports.  I didn't really want to mess with cracking the block open right now.  I was thinking about a new bike next spring anyway.

The gas isn't a huge thing though... I'd rather spend the money on actually being able to afford to hit all the races this year.  We'll see though.

Super Dave

105 what?  I hope it's leaded.  I know that he used to have a thing with Elf, but Elf racing fuel in the US isn't Elf as it was at one time...it's blended by Conoco now.

Get more info if you can.  
Super Dave

Green_Knight

Yeah, it was a 105 leaded race fuel.  He has some 118 in stock right now.  He was talking about the Elf stuff.  This isn't the same but I can't remember the brand right off hand.  I'll call him tomarrow.  Thinking about getting an 06 ZX-10R from him :D.

Super Dave

Well, you wouldn't need any race gas then...LOL!

You doin' the track day at MAM on April 1st, or are you coming down to
Topeka on April 10th?
Super Dave

Green_Knight

I wouldn't be racing the ZX-10R, lol.  Thats a bit more than I can handle on the race track right now... I might take it to some track days but I highly doubt I'd race it competatively right now...  I duno... It sounds fun though.  That much power on the track seems a bit over whelming.  I would much rather learn on the 600 right now.

Yeah, I'll be at MAM the weekend of April 1st and 2nd.  Going to get my license then.  I don't need to sign up for anything with CCS as far as licenses go do I?  Just sign up for the class with Dean and thats it?

Super Dave

Aaron, I can give you a certificate for that.  

You just need refinement, not a safety class.  You and I have done two programs together.

Thoughts?
Super Dave