R6 Setup Questions (Tires & Gearing)

Started by Faas73, March 01, 2006, 06:54:34 AM

Faas73

As I get ready for this season, I am constantly reminded that all of my notes from racing an SV for the past few years are pretty much worthless... :-/

So, someone help me out here. On the SV, I was running a Pirelli "blue" (super soft) front tire and a "green" (soft) rear tire. Should I look at staying with the same setup on the R6? Or do I run a harder rear tire?

My goals are to run the GT race and two to three sprint races per weekend. If I run a "yellow" rear, and maybe a green front, could I get away with one set of tires per weekend? I'm expecting to be relatively slow on the 600 initially, so perhaps a softer rear would be wasted on me? Or would I just be setting my self up for disaster?

Just looking for input before I order a bunch of tires.

Also, what's a good starting point for gearing @ Summit on a the R6?

As an aside, does anyone have any comments on how well the the stock slipper clutch on the 2006 R6 works? Keep it, or aftermarket?

Thanks...

tstruyk

I ran michelin PR2/PR5 combo most of last year.  I would try not to exceed 30-35 laps if I was running sprints... I would run 3 sprints on a set and practice the following weekend on them... both my crashes last year where on tires with 45+ laps on them...I would cycle the tires once to "harden" them up a hair before keeping them on the warmers.  

the 5 is the hardest of the PR numbered series, there is a harder compound I believe that is a step down (I think its called a PR Medium)... but I was happy with the longevity of the 5.  

Given unlimited funds I would run a softer compound and change out more often, its relatively more inexpensive than trying to "stretch" a tire... but for my budget it seemed to work.

dont know if that helps but thats what I did...ask your trackside rep on best choice for tire selection to get you through the day. I just did what tommy told me to do!  ;)

cant help ya with gearing.. never been there.

slipper on the 06?  Never had a slipper before, nothing to compare it to...

timmay
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Super Dave

QuoteJust looking for input before I order a bunch of tires...

I wouldn't order a bunch of tires at once for a bike that runs a 180 rear.  During the season, updates are produced usually for the higher volume rears.  If you're purchasing a bunch of tires early in the season, you'll be running old tech stuff.  Some manufacturers will make dramatic changes to their line ups.  The new stuff gets tested by the faster US guys, then is produced.  Might not see some of that stuff until June to August, but it is worth thinking about.

Super Dave