pounds and horsepower

Started by tzracer, February 28, 2006, 11:17:59 AM

a13x

QuoteWeight has nothing to do with top speed. Top speed is determined by drag vs. power. Assuming that the additional 40 lbs in your example do not affect the aerodynamics of the bike, the 2 Hawks would have the same top speed, the lighter one would reach top speed sooner.

I was calculating based upon acceleration. If you only lose weight and do not increase the power of your bike and do not change the drag, your bike will have the same top speed. If you want to increase top speed you need to increase power or reduce drag.

So the statement I made is true / clearer wording.
Thx Mr. Physics.

"For every 1 lbs of weight you lose you gain X HP on ACCELERATION"

tzracer

QuoteSo the statement I made is true / clearer wording.
Thx Mr. Physics.

"For every 1 lbs of weight you lose you gain X HP on ACCELERATION"

The statement isn't correct.

By losing weight you are not gaining any power.

You are reducing your weight, which will increase acceleration for a given amount of power.

A better statement would be:

The acceleration gained by losing X lbs is the same acceleration as adding 1 hp with the original weight.

In science statements such as 'you know what I meant' don't work - even thought my students seem to think so. You must be precis in your wording (also why we use very specific definitions), there can't be any ambiguity, no guesssing at what is meant. To a non-scientist it may seem anal, the difference my seem very subtle, but the changing of a few words can drastically change the meaning of a statement.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

racesbikes

QuoteWeight has nothing to do with top speed. Top speed is determined by drag vs. power. Assuming that the additional 40 lbs in your example do not affect the aerodynamics of the bike, the 2 Hawks would have the same top speed, the lighter one would reach top speed sooner.

I was calculating based upon acceleration. If you only lose weight and do not increase the power of your bike and do not change the drag, your bike will have the same top speed. If you want to increase top speed you need to increase power or reduce drag.

So the loss in body weight will give the rider a smaller frontal area - therefore reducing the wind resistance force (drag) at any speed. Since the frontal area is actually a squared factor in a resistance equation (area X area) the rider gains speed due to less drag - even though the engine HP stays the same.

So think of all that treadmill time as making you more aerodynamic.
 ;D

tzracer

QuoteSo the loss in body weight will give the rider a smaller frontal area - therefore reducing the wind resistance force (drag) at any speed. Since the frontal area is actually a squared factor in a resistance equation (area X area) the rider gains speed due to less drag - even though the engine HP stays the same.

So think of all that treadmill time as making you more aerodynamic.
 ;D

Execpt for the guys buying new r6s etc, because the 10" x 12" number plates they will have to bolt on the front of their bike will offset the frontal area loss.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

DanO966

QuoteSweet, so my new bike is up about 5 hp over last years bike and I am about 10pounds lighter then last year so I can add about 2 extra HP to the 5HP for a 7 HP gain..... Bring on the Salads.......
now all you need is some *go-fast* stickers.  Extra 15 hp forsure. ;D
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

Super Dave

I've got the 16hp stickers, but they cost more...and weigh less... ;D
Super Dave

Jeff

QuoteTrue, but the point of my post was not to help lap times but to correct a common misconception.

Good point...  
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

tstruyk

QuoteI've got the 16hp stickers, but they cost more...and weigh less... ;D

Hey Dave... email me with a price for those wouldya?  And can I run more than one set?  And am I still SS legal?  i was really looking for an alternative to getting back in shape (apparently round isnt a shape???)  and learning how to work this fandangled contraption better.  That Thorson kid better watch it... I'm gonna have me a 140hp R6... now I just need the 10x12 number plate and I'm good to go!

tia

Timmay
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

spyderchick

QuoteHey Dave... email me with a price for those wouldya?  And can I run more than one set?  And am I still SS legal?  i was really looking for an alternative to getting back in shape (apparently round isnt a shape???)  and learning how to work this fandangled contraption better.  That Thorson kid better watch it... I'm gonna have me a 140hp R6... now I just need the 10x12 number plate and I'm good to go!

tia

Timmay

Ed Key gets his go-fast from Spyder stickies.  ;) ;D

If you see me at the track, I'll give you a couple for free!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

tstruyk

QuoteEd Key gets his go-fast from Spyder stickies.  ;) ;D

If you see me at the track, I'll give you a couple for free!

I got a spyder patch on my leathers... I dont see how that could add to horsepower on the bike though??  I DID however seem to REALLY accellerate when I hit the pavement the first time with your patch on... hmmmmmmmm  ;D

I need some kinda edge this year... things seemed easier when I was yella...  ;)

tim

btw I think you chatted with my Buddy Ty today about some leathers... I think he's going to Rob for the Taichi's!  8)  he really appreciated your info, I'm hopin to get him to the races when he gets back from over sea's!

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

spyderchick

QuoteI got a spyder patch on my leathers... I dont see how that could add to horsepower on the bike though??  I DID however seem to REALLY accellerate when I hit the pavement the first time with your patch on... hmmmmmmmm  ;D

I need some kinda edge this year... things seemed easier when I was yella...  ;)

tim

btw I think you chatted with my Buddy Ty today about some leathers... I think he's going to Rob for the Taichi's!  8)  he really appreciated your info, I'm hopin to get him to the races when he gets back from over sea's!

Additional acceleration due to added weight of a spyder patch is virtually impossible.
 ;) ;D

I'm glad he's ordering from Rob, the Taichis are a good choice for him. Thanks for sending him my way!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

tstruyk

CCS GP/ASRA  #85