World's fastest Indian

Started by K3 Chris Onwiler, February 23, 2006, 05:05:33 PM

K3 Chris Onwiler

What a wonderful movie.  I don't think the masses will understand or care, but every racer should go and see it.  Talk about the spirit of the privateer!  Having always considered myself one of the most underfunded racers in history, I suddenly feel like Bill Gates Racing....
The shots of the salt flats and vintage streamlined racers at Bonneville were yummy enough to make you want to lick the screen.  Ooooooohhhhhh!!!!  The Indian was a junkyard jewel.  I couldn't stop looking at it, and kept wishing I could pause the movie for a better look.
Hopkins was incredible as the modest old man who just had a dream and refused to quit.  It was awesome the way the racing community just fell in love with the old guy and rallied to help him.  In fact, this movie showed the racing community and their spirit more accurately than any other film I've seen!
Pretty much you owe it to yourself AND Hopkins to go see this movie.  I hear he put out a bunch of his own money to get this project done.  Devoid of all the bull$hit that usually goes along with any bike movie, this film really shows us as we are, faults and all.
I absolutely loved it!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

KBOlsen

I saw this also, and frankly am amazed that nobody else has posted up about it yet.

So many aspects of that film touched me on a personal level... from the opening scene where he's firing up the bike at 6 a.m. (how often we'd done the same thing - much to the chagrin of our neighbors - when scrambling to get the final "tweeks" in before hitting the road) to his lowside on the beach as he tried to get the bike around the corner (again, tapping memories of doing the exact same thing, reaching and surpassing the traction limit of my front tire) to his heart-pounding run across the salt. I spent half the movie wanting to jump out of my seat - and the other half biting my lip, so very badly wanting him to succeed. At the warehouse in L.A., I held my breath as they pulled away the shattered crate... recalled illicit "test runs" of my own as he went blasting along the Nevada highway... and felt my heart run the full emotional roller-coaster when he arrived at Bonneville, climactic screams inside my head as he made his record-breaking run. I could have replaced any number of the racers and officials with folks in the paddock at Blackhawk - the combination of competitive spirit, fellowship and camaraderie are all pretty much the same. It was grass-roots racing at its' absolute purest. Burt proved that "cubic dollars" aren't the only means of achieving horsepower!

The audience in the theater where I saw it was pretty diverse - a few 'gearheads' interspersed with some folks whom I would never expect to see anywhere near a motorcycle - and everyone seemed to be captivated by his humility and quiet determination. Aside from the adrenaline, there was a lesson to be seen. Sir Anthony Hopkins was magnificent (isn't he always?). I cried... and I laughed... and never wanted the film to end.

I ordered the book and it arrived a few days ago - with a little luck, I'll have time to start reading it tomorrow night. And if I could find the original documentary...  
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

PaulV

Ok K3,

Thats 1 "yummy" and 7 O's"

guess we gotta see it..

I am looking forward to it.

Paul
Polar-Optics
See Better, Ride Safer!

Burt Munro

Glad you enjoyed my movie.
                        - B.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

SliderPhoto

QuoteOk K3,

Thats 1 "yummy" and 7 O's"

guess we gotta see it..

I am looking forward to it.

Paul
Polar-Optics

Paul, I've been wanting to go see it too. Let me know if you find a place playing it in our area.

spyderchick

QuotePaul, I've been wanting to go see it too. Let me know if you find a place playing it in our area.

Found it!
It's currently playing at the Downer Theatre on the east side of Milwaukee. Link
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

LMsports

Hey K3, when is Highside going to find its way to the big screen?

BTW your frame will be done this weekend so you'll have it next week! Then you can get back to your own grass roots efforts.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

Super Dave

QuotePaul, I've been wanting to go see it too. Let me know if you find a place playing it in our area.

Let's go together.  Next week?  I've got some time...

Tuesday - 7PM?
Super Dave

wizard

i dont think its in my area (orlando) i just searched it on fandango.com

is the movie new ???

spyderchick

Quotei dont think its in my area (orlando) i just searched it on fandango.com

is the movie new ???

Independent film, limited release.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

JBraun

Quote Devoid of all the bull$hit that usually goes along with any bike movie, this film really shows us as we are, faults and all.
Was it as good as Torque?
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

andy908hamblin

Hopkins is a great actor and it was a great movie. it really touched my heart to see such dedication, makes my passion and dedication grow just thinking of it.