News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

This Safety Equip. Good Enough For Track?

Started by PolishPete, February 22, 2006, 06:04:05 AM

PolishPete

Here are some glvoes and ebay link incase you need to see a picture of them. Are they good enough for the track?  Also, from experiance, would you recommomend a one piece, or 2 piece suit?  Thanks in advance!!

ALPINESTARS SP-1 SP1 MOTORCYCLE GLOVES
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALPINESTARS-SP-1-SP1-MOTORCYCLE-GLOVES-BLACK-GRAY-LG_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50425QQitemZ8039937060QQrdZ1

PJ721

sure they'd be fine...never worn Alpinestars but they have a great rep for making good stuff...

here's a good place to buy all kinds of gear

www.newenough.com

check the "closeout" section...great deals on last years inventory...I've purchased a lot  from them and never had any problems.
Paul Castiglia
CCS - #524 - SV650

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Laugh uncontrollably...
And never regret anything that made you smile....

Jeff

Be careful what you're buying on ebay.  There are a lot of people selling fake stuff which is nowhere near the quality of the true gear.

Additionally, the support is often times garbage (no exchanges, low stock, no refunds, etc)...

Deal with someone reputable...

Lithium Motorsports
MotoLiberty

are 2 that come to mind...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

steelcityracer

I would recomend a one piece suit for added protection.

Super Dave

At one time I had problems with A-Star gloves and boots.  Really disappointed because previous stuff was good.  Back to the origin of manufacturer.

Held gloves are good.  Teknic's really aren't bad even though they are off shore brands.

I got measured Sunday for a custom set of Vanson gloves.  They  are not made in the US, but they were a good alternative for me.

And yeah...road racing...one piece.  Don't mess around.  When you go to sell a good suit, most people will be looking for one piece suits.
Super Dave

RCR_531

I have SP1 gloves and really like them. Crash tested acouple of time and can't tell by looking at them. I paid less or the same at a dealer  for them. Gloves should be tried on before buying nothing like fighting with your glove going into a fast sweeper.
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

stephenr928

Good advice about shopping on ebay & being able to try on gloves first.  I've used the sp2 gloves for the past 3 seasons, with 3 crashes before they were done.  Good gloves, I'm on my second set now!
Steve
MA  #92
cbr 600 F2
(My Heart Still Remains in the Great Plains)

PaulV

Watch the ebay stuff close!
I've been a RS Taichi guy forever, Rob at Lithium Motorsports sells them and you can not go wrong!
I also picked up a set of MotoGP gloves from them last year and found them to be outstanding! Especially for the price.
I would give Rob a call before I bought anything off of ebay.

Paul
Polar-Optics
See Better, Ride Safer!

Spooner

QuoteWatch the ebay stuff close!
I've been a RS Taichi guy forever, Rob at Lithium Motorsports sells them and you can not go wrong!
I also picked up a set of MotoGP gloves from them last year and found them to be outstanding! Especially for the price.
I would give Rob a call before I bought anything off of ebay.

Paul
Polar-Optics

Yep, help the guys that are there for you every weekend...

-Nick
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6

andy908hamblin

Make sure you have a newly SNELL approved helmet.

PaulV

Not just pimping Rob's biz, but the suits and gloves are crash tested, and the SHEAT!! And I know you could at least give them a call check them out.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul
Polar-Optics
See Better, Ride Safer!

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteMake sure you have a newly SNELL approved helmet.
I'd argue that point.  I got hooked up with Suomy a number of years ago.  Suomy makes their lids to the softer BSI standard.  Recently, there has been much ado in the motorcycle press about the Snell standard being too hard, therefore allowing the brain to absorb more G forces than a softer BSI rated helmet.
Before I started wearing Suomy, I'd been either knocked out or obviously concussed a number of times in Snell rated Shoei helmets.  As I began crash testing the Suomy helmets, (What can I say, I'm a crasher.... :-[) low and behold I started getting hurt less!  The rest of me would still get pounded, but the worst my melon has suffered after a crash in a Suomy lid was a mild headache.
Now this isn't exactly hard science, but I can say that my worst-ever crash was in a Suomy.  I stoppied right over the top and had the bike drive me into the asphalt helmet first.  The workers thought I was dead.  (They should have seen it from MY viewpoint!  I KNEW I was dead!)  Well, it took a full year for some of my injuries to stop bothering me on a daily basis, and there are aches from that wreck that I suspect will be with me forever, but I wasn't even knocked out.
I'd sooner wear a Snell helmet than a baseball cap, but a BSI standard helmet is where I'd spend my money, and these days I refuse to race in anything less than a Suomy helmet.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

Super Dave

Scotty Ryan

Quote++++1 Suomy & BSI.

After talking with Dave and the Guys at Suomy this past weekend, After three individual Suomy employees took time out of their busy day to explain the hard facts about the helmets and the processes that they use to manufacture, along with the difference between the BSI ratings and SNELL/DOT ratings - I am sold.....Bad thing is I almost don't want to ride with my current helmet anymore / Barber is next weekend - but I don't think I will be able to get one in time.....After seven concussions you don't take safety lightly....
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

Scotty Ryan

QuoteI'd argue that point.  I got hooked up with Suomy a number of years ago.  Suomy makes their lids to the softer BSI standard.  Recently, there has been much ado in the motorcycle press about the Snell standard being too hard, therefore allowing the brain to absorb more G forces than a softer BSI rated helmet.
Before I started wearing Suomy, I'd been either knocked out or obviously concussed a number of times in Snell rated Shoei helmets.  As I began crash testing the Suomy helmets, (What can I say, I'm a crasher.... :-[) low and behold I started getting hurt less!  The rest of me would still get pounded, but the worst my melon has suffered after a crash in a Suomy lid was a mild headache.
Now this isn't exactly hard science, but I can say that my worst-ever crash was in a Suomy.  I stoppied right over the top and had the bike drive me into the asphalt helmet first.  The workers thought I was dead.  (They should have seen it from MY viewpoint!  I KNEW I was dead!)  Well, it took a full year for some of my injuries to stop bothering me on a daily basis, and there are aches from that wreck that I suspect will be with me forever, but I wasn't even knocked out.
I'd sooner wear a Snell helmet than a baseball cap, but a BSI standard helmet is where I'd spend my money, and these days I refuse to race in anything less than a Suomy helmet.

To help out with K3's point check out this interesting link. It gives you an idea as to why the BSI standard is higher then the DOT/SNELL...http://www.suomy-usa.com/ssafetya.htm
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

PolishPete