Too funny not to share....

Started by Dawn, December 27, 2002, 03:35:43 PM

Dawn

This is an e-mail that I received today and I know that others on this board did too.  I just had to share, it was too funny to keep to myself.

Dawn   ;)

NOT THAT WE ARE OLD OR ANYTHING!!!

What a difference 30  years makes....

1972: Long hair

2002: Longing for hair

1972: The perfect high

2002: The perfect high yield mutual fund

1972:   KEG

2002:   EKG

1972:   Acid rock

2002:   Acid reflux

1972:   Moving to California because it's cool

2002:   Moving to California because it's warm

1972:   Growing pot

2002:   Growing pot belly

1972:   Trying to look like Marlon Brando or Liz  Taylor

2002:   Trying NOT to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor

1972:   Seeds and stems

2002:   Roughage

1972:   Popping pills, smoking joints

2002:   Popping joints

1972:   Killer weed

2002:   Weed killer

1972:   Hoping for a BMW

2002:   Hoping for a BM

1972:   The Grateful Dead

2002:   Dr.Kevorkian

1972:   Going to a new, hip joint

2002:   Receiving a new hip joint

1972:   Rolling Stones

2002:   Kidney Stones

1972:   Being called into the principal's office

2002:  ! ; Calling the principal's office

1972:   Screw the system

2002:   Upgrade the system

1972:   Disco

2002:   Costco

1972:   Parents begging you to get your hair cut

2002:   Children begging you to get their heads shaved

1972:   Taking acid

2002:   Taking antacid

1972:   Passing the driver's test

2002:   Passing the vision test

1972:   Whatever

2002:   Depends

Just in case you weren't feeling too old today, this
   will certainly change things. Each year the staff at
   Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to
   try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of
   this year's incoming freshmen.

Here's this year's list:

The people who are starting college this fall across
   the nation were born in 1983. They are too young to
   remember the space shuttle blowing up.

Their lifetime has always included AIDS.

Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

The CD was introduced the year they were born.

They have always had an answering machine.

They have always had cable.

They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.

They never heard:  "Where's the! Beef?", "I'd walk a
   mile for a Camel", Or "de plane Boss,de plane".

They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who
   J. R. even is.

Michael Jackson has always been white.

McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Do you feel old yet?  Pass this on to the other old
   fogies in your life.

Baltobuell

1972..XR 750 Harleys are dominating all the dirt tracks
  2002..XR 750 Harleys are dominating all the dirt tracks
 And still hoping they'll build a roadracer! Some things don't change.
   And yeah I just got my 30 year class reunion invatation complete with a picture of a teenager wareing hiphuggers getting out of a VW bug, in 72 and 02. AAGGG. I'm officially a pervert.

the_weggie_man

Feel old yet? No.

Thank you AMA for Harley domination on the dirt. Honda kicked their orange and black ass until H-D whined and got restrictors involved.  They can't win on an even playing field.

Gixxer124

Didn't they let 2 strokes in for a short time and Yamaha kicked butt?

the_weggie_man

K.R., Sr. on a  TZ750 based flat tracker if I'm right raced and won one race and said, "They don't pay me enough to ride that thing". That was it.

Before that H-D battled it out with Triumphs, BSAs, Nortons and Yamaha verticle twins.  The XR750 was H-D's saving grace and it won everything until Honda stepped in in the early '80's. The boys with Hondas, Bubba Shobert, Ricky Graham, Ted Booty, Tim Mertens, Randy Goss and more all had success on them.

Then H-D whined and AMA put restrictors on them. They still won so they restricted them more. They still did well but then Honda said to hell with it. took their toys and went home.  Some privateers still had luck with the RS750 for a few years after that but Honda quit making parts for them and they went away completely.

Decreasing_Dave

QuoteK.R., Sr. on a  TZ750 based flat tracker if I'm right raced and won one race and said, "They don't pay me enough to ride that thing". That was it.

Before that H-D battled it out with Triumphs, BSAs, Nortons and Yamaha verticle twins.  The XR750 was H-D's saving grace and it won everything until Honda stepped in in the early '80's. The boys with Hondas, Bubba Shobert, Ricky Graham, Ted Booty, Tim Mertens, Randy Goss and more all had success on them.

Then H-D whined and AMA put restrictors on them. They still won so they restricted them more. They still did well but then Honda said to hell with it. took their toys and went home.  Some privateers still had luck with the RS750 for a few years after that but Honda quit making parts for them and they went away completely.

HAAAAA.....Take that Buell Boy!!  Yeah...what he said! ;D ;D

Baltobuell

Truth be told, Kenny Roberts was unreal fast on his regular 650/750 air cooled vertical twin. The 2 stroke thing was even out of hand for him so apparently nobody could of rode it. Thing is, there are still Yamaha 650's of that era that are still able to kick butt. Yeah, yeah Honda doesn't like rules, so. Ahh Wegie man has been around awhile, glad you've kept up with it, but the bottom line is
 1972..HD is dominating the dirt tracks
 2002..HD is dominating the dirt tracks
 HA!

Super Dave

Hey, there were CB750 dirt trackers, and even Erv Kanemoto H1 kawasaki dirt trackers.

Too bad dirt track can't be like it was.  Twenty-five guys racing all with the potential to win.
Super Dave

Baltobuell

I think everbody will agree, those were the days. BSA, Triumph, Norton, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, HD, anybodys guess who would take it. I think that's one thing I like about CCS, that dyno hp is relavent in class structure and they try to give every model a shot at 1 class. So how come Suzuki seems to dominate?

the_weggie_man

Honda doesn't mind rules as long as they are the same for everyone but when AMA regulates a manufacturer out of competition ...... that's a different story. :P

I started riding in '70, with a late start at age 19, so yeah I've been around awhile. Actually began about 4 years earlier, renting Honda step through 50s and S-90s at the local U-Haul dealer.  No license required, $10 for the day. Yeeeehaaa!! ;D ;D ;D

Baltobuell

This thread started about us feeling old and I think that it served its purpose. In 1970 my AT1MX was my pride n' joy, I was 15 and the nusiance of the neighborhood. A guy named Lee Abernathy pointed me at a local dirt track and suddenly I had no time for smoking pot, Vietnam, or anything else. I was involved in something and it was cool. Quit racing at 21 sold the Norton, got married and didn't ride again till 1994 when the Harley crusier midlife thing kicked in. The GM at the Harley shop remembered me and I felt welcome there. Crusiers bored me so he hooked me up with a Buell in 99. I figured I was too old to go fast till they invited me to a Buell only track day in 2000. Hooked again. Now here's a switch, Old Harley guy looking at a new R6. But loyalty has to go to HD of Baltimore for getting me out there again. There's a ton of ol'dirt racers that don't know what they're missing.
 Being in this position is great. I go because it's fun. If I get spanked, big deal you beat an ol'guy on a Harley, If I spank the kids they look at me like they're confused when I take my helmet off. I LOVE IT. Who'd of thought I'd have a fun conversation with a pierced, tatooed, 20 some year old. That's not smoking pot or worrieing about Irac. Things are still the same.

the_weggie_man

Good on ya mate!  Glad to see your still hanging in there.  This sport has too many guys that ride their 2.5 years then disappear.

K3 Chris Onwiler

Who'd of thought I'd have a fun conversation with a pierced, tatooed, 20 some year old.

Racers are racers.  I have friends and competitors who are aged 15 to 67.  (Guess I fit in somewhere around the middle... ;D) It's the rest of the people in this world who I don't understand.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com