News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

1st year EXPERT....

Started by 05R6, February 01, 2006, 01:56:49 PM

05R6

Ok this is my 1st year racing as an EXPERT (2nd year racing total) what races would be good for me to do...i know im gonna be a BACK MARKER anyway...im not out for a championship or anything like that just want to get track time with the fast guys....it will be my first time goin to Daytona and i will be on a 600 (with stock suspension...i have plans to upgrade)....so any info or comments will be greatly appreciated.....thanks.

motobenco

Stay Low and don't let off the gas, put some sort of chest pad in your leathers or on the tank. Enjoy, and don't forget to breathe.
Rescue and restoration of 60's & 70's motorcycles, former pro-racer, motorsports enthusiast.

tug296

Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

Team-G

Quote...i know im gonna be a BACK MARKER anyway....

Does this mean I don't have to be the slowest guy on the track this year?  Cool  8)

Seriouslly, you'll get a good feel for what it's like with your first grid start through T1.

cardzilla

Saving a rant about about quantum theories I'll say : stay positive.  In giving yourself an out (being a "backmarker") you also affect yourself negatively.  Stay positive and just try to learn something everytime out.  You'll be surprised how well it works  ;)
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Team-G

QuoteStay positive and just try to learn something everytime out.  You'll be surprised how well it works  ;)

Seems like I've heard that elsewhere recently; good advice  ;)

MELK-MAN

try not to target fixate on bikes moving about, especially the ones within close proximity to your front wheel. If you have someone passing on the outside, continue looking through the turn. Looking at the rear wheel of the passing bike may have you lifting the bike up a bit as then continue comming over sawing off the line in front. Doing that could cause your bike to high side. I know.. i did it ..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

05R6

Thanks for the advice guys....now how about races...what races would be good for me to do?

cardzilla

It depends on what you're looking for.  Being on a stock bike, most would say do supersport.  If you want the best competition then that's the class.  However, even though your bike isn't built you may find more success in GP or superbike.  Often a lot of the fastest riders will only compete in supersport leaving you an opportunity to run at the front.

Either way, I'd try to do GTU.  You'll have the most tracktime and I've found it's the only way to overcome a really bad grid spot.  

Things are different at Daytona, there will be full grids in everything and a lot of competiton, so just get through it.  It will be a good learning experience for when you come back in October.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Gixxerblade

I say do every class you can even the heavy weights and ride till yu can't feel your legs anymore. Thats what I do...

xseal

my advice is be careful starting out your expert racing in Daytona, especially on a 600.  There will be many professionals (AMA support team riders and privateers) there, and they will be there for business and will know the track well.  Also, don't think about riding up a class at Daytona. As an amateur you can race up easily, in expert its different on a track like that. 1000s will be going by you with an extra 25 mph. Race GTO and expect to be gridded with Geoff May, John Haner, etc. on their 1000s.  

My advice is do the practice, do one race and get a feel for the place.  Its very different from any other track.

dc996duc

hey look for me..
first time expert, first time daytona..
i will have the number 99 ex...
blue and yellow leather
blue and yellow R6...
we will be in one of the garage..

Oli

Faas73

It seems to me you'd just do the same things that got you Expert status:

- Hold your line
- Ride predictably
- Try not to crash ;D

First year expert myself, but it will be my 4th trip to Daytona. I'm bumping up to a 600 (2006 R6) after riding an SV650 for the past few years. I know it's going to be a whole different animal, but I'm looking forward to it!

Staying positive is going to be key. I know I won't be running up front at Daytona, but I plan on having a blast battling for 12th or 18th place. Look for me, #980. Blue leathers, possibly blue bike, possibly 'primer bike' since getting 2006 R6 bodywork before Daytona is turning out to be...interesting.

As for classes, stick to Middleweight Supersport, Superbike, and GP -- I wouldn't bump up a class. I probably won't even do the Superbike race, since I'll still be getting used to the 600, and things will be fast enough in the Supersport class. If I remember correctly, the Graves Yamaha factory team showed up at the CCS races last year, so expect to get lapped by DiSalvo (at least once) at some mind-altering speed...

Gixxerblade

QuoteIt seems to me you'd just do the same things that got you Expert status:

- Hold your line
- Ride predictably
- Try not to crash ;D

First year expert myself, but it will be my 4th trip to Daytona. I'm bumping up to a 600 (2006 R6) after riding an SV650 for the past few years. I know it's going to be a whole different animal, but I'm looking forward to it!

Staying positive is going to be key. I know I won't be running up front at Daytona, but I plan on having a blast battling for 12th or 18th place. Look for me, #980. Blue leathers, possibly blue bike, possibly 'primer bike' since getting 2006 R6 bodywork before Daytona is turning out to be...interesting.

As for classes, stick to Middleweight Supersport, Superbike, and GP -- I wouldn't bump up a class. I probably won't even do the Superbike race, since I'll still be getting used to the 600, and things will be fast enough in the Supersport class. If I remember correctly, the Graves Yamaha factory team showed up at the CCS races last year, so expect to get lapped by DiSalvo (at least once) at some mind-altering speed...
I won't be at Daytona but you're mine!!!! ;D

Faas73

QuoteI won't be at Daytona but you're mine!!!! ;D

Did CCS finally add those "Who Can Melt The Undertail Section To Their Rear Tire Fastest" and "Where The Hell Did My Brake Fluid Resevoir Cap Go?" classes??  ::)  ;D

If so, I admit defeat now....  ;)

Which event are you planning for your 2006 debut? How's the prep on the GSXR coming?

Gixxerblade

That was perhaps the worst weekend of my short racing career.  :P  You forgot about the hole I got in my rad and my fork seals busting on the way down to Daytona.  :-[ ;D
and the prep on the Gixxer may have to wait. Nothing but setting up suspension and putting on bodywork left but I may be moving soon. Getting orderes to HMX-1 (MCB Quantico)...hopefully. Pretty intense background check to get in there.  :-/

Faas73

QuoteThat was perhaps the worst weekend of my short racing career.  :P  You forgot about the hole I got in my rad and my fork seals busting on the way down to Daytona.  :-[ ;D

No no, I didn't forget, I was being nice. ;D

Good luck with the move and all -- you'll be fairly close to me. I'll hide my radiators and forks...