Dealers only changing their own tires?!?

Started by ecumike, March 22, 2002, 07:23:18 AM

ecumike

Ah crap!!... I need my new set of 207s put on, and my local Aprilia dealer says they only put on tires if you bought them from them, and that most dealers do this now. What's up with that !?!?

Anyone have suggestions on where/who to goto to put tires on my little bike??

p.s. I'm in Raleigh, NC

RickyRacer

Yep, same things happing down here.  I get most of tires at the track.
"HEY!, quit being a hog and pass the racepipe"
SpringsRacing
DUCATI MIAMI

Litespeed

You may want to call around to car shops, they can mount the tires for you but then you will need to find a way to balance them (I had a set done at Discount Tire since a friend works there).  You can probably make/find a cheap balancer and save a lot of head ache doing it this way.  I haven't gotten to the point where I have used my motocross tire spoons on them, has anyone tried this or am I the only one dumb enough to think of it :).

Woofentino Pugrossi

The shops here still will mount tires brought in by a customer. If they wont, theres plenty of places around here that will.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

bfkidd

Dude, shoot me an email. Looks like you need some help.

ecumike

Sat. I took off the wheels (yea, it really was easy), and took them to the Honda shop, who in turn ended up not charging me the extra $20 b/c I didn't buy them from them... out  the door price... $44 to mnt. & bal. front and rear.

wally

I  had the same problem in the area where I live with getting tires put on.  I had 3 dealerships tell me that it was an insurance thing and since you didn't get the tires through them they would not be responsible for a defective tire causing you to crash that you bought through a mag.  I finally found a guy starting up a little shop and gladly gave him my business.  Also, some dealers will tell you that the magazine tires are sometimes defective and don't trust them.  Any comments on that subject?

Eric Kelcher

Defective horse-hockey as Col Potter would say
Blemish yes logo on funny or something cosmetic

Does anyone really believe that the tire companies would allow a tire they know has a defect in it that could result in blow out/injury to get the general public?
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

wally

That's what I told the guy at the dealership but he tried to blow smoke up my ass.  some guys will do anything to get you to buy from them.  It's amazing how out of the loop some dealers are about certain things that's why I stay with the little guys that know the real deal from experience.