Time to quit smoking

Started by K3 Chris Onwiler, December 27, 2002, 02:20:27 AM

K3 Chris Onwiler

Ok, I'm sick of this BS.  Suerly, the only reason I'm not World Champion by now is this lousy tobacco addiction of mine.  I haven't got the breath for a good workout, so I can't really improve my physical conditioning.  Then there's the $8 to $10 a day that the stupid things cost.  I personally think Clinton should have a red hot poker shoved up his @$$ for deciding to punish addicted people for buying a legal product, but that's the least of HIS sins...
Who wants to join me?  It's no fun to be miserable alone.  Rhiannon?  Deano's always claiming he wants to quit.  I'll be racing against him in F40 this year.  Does he want to lose round one right now?  C'mon, guys.  Competition is what motivates me.  A little help here?
K3
K3
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Dawn

Chris:

I started at sixteen and quit at eighteen.  What did it for me is to smell an old ashtray whenever I felt like lighting one up.  For additional effect, be sure to add a little beer.  In no time I had no desire to light one up anymore.

Dawn   :)

sdiver68

I promise to not take smoke a cigarette if you won't.  ;)

There!  ;D

Or how about this, I'm up to 20 minutes on the exercise bike then a full 24 set lift routine, 4X per week.  I plan on being at 30 minutes then lift by Daytona and stay there all season.  Can you beat that?
MCRA Race School Instructor

TZDeSioux

Chris,
I'll quit with you. I don't even know you but if you see me smoking at the track.. you can come pop in my eye. I have to quit anyway.. wife is pregnant with our first child so it's probably not a good idea to continue smoking. My 2003 New Years resolution is to quit smoking and to lose 35lbs so I'll be a mean and lean 175lbs.

Chef

IIIIIII  realy need a ride on this train !!!

ike
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

TZDeSioux

QuoteIIIIIII  realy need a ride on this train !!!

ike

hey you smoke? We're talking about cigarettes here man.... not the mean green stuff you smoke.  ;D

by the way... I heard a song that reminded me of you... it went something like this..

"Love~~ Exciting and new.   Come aboard~~ We're expecting you~~~~~~  The love boat~~   promises something for everyone~"

Still can't figure out why it reminded me of you...  your name isn't Gopher is it? hmm.. oh I forget.. it's ISSAC!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

rmahr137

I found it was easier to quit smoking if I told myself that if I started again, I would sell my racebike.  If you tell a bunch of people that, and tell them to make you stick too it, it is easier than you think.

Plus, with what smokes cost now, you probably can smoke a set of tires a month now!!!!

About working out, if you can afford it, go to a gym and see a personal trainer.  They can get you started on a good workout routine and make sure you are doing the exercises right.  Most would think it is cool that you are trying to get in shape to race motorcycles, and hey, you might even have a potentional sponsor!

Chef

Quotehey you smoke? We're talking about cigarettes here man.... not the mean green stuff you smoke.  ;D

aww  naaaww, they told that too ????   :-[

Quote"Love~~ Exciting and new.   Come aboard~~ We're expecting you~~~~~~  The love boat~~   promises something for everyone~"

Still can't figure out why it reminded me of you...  your name isn't Gopher is it? hmm.. oh I forget.. it's ISSAC!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

THATS a shame !!!
i thought we was boys !  :-/
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

TZDeSioux

QuoteTHATS a shame !!!
i thought we was boys !  :-/

We ARE boys.... otherwise I wouldn't be breaking your balls about your name  ;)

Chef

QuoteWe ARE boys.... otherwise I wouldn't be breaking your balls about your name  ;)

rite rite....

but, you know, .. if you like, you can feel free to call me ike, or even val (short for valentino) (long as he's on a honda) (tho i hear, if im back again, would be su, su...suz.... ahhh, you get it, rite...

TreyBone

Just give all your extra cigarettes to me ;D and beer ;D and liquor ;D  and don't forget that extra greasy fried chicken too ;D

puff, puff, give    MOFO

sdiver68

rmahr -

My routine is custom tailored for Cycle Racing and general strength gains and muscle mass gain...I've been working on improving it (the routine) since mid last year.  I'm going to continue to develop it this year and then share.  Also, my brother is a certified personal trainer and is helping to refine it.

How do I know how applicable it is?  Easy, I monitor the "soreness" of individual muscle groups after race days/weekends and the ease in which I can comfortably without faitgue run the practice day and 6 races in a weekend, including 2 GT's.  I also have some exercises in the rotation for "safety" like back and neck exercises which will improve ones chances in a bad wreck.

Most personal trainers don't have a clue as to the requirements of racing.  It's not their fault, they just don't know the unique demands of our sport.  However, if you are new to working out, then you should see one to make sure your form is correct, regardless of whose program you follow.  Also, when you are just starting out, realize that any and all programs are much better then doing nothing, as long as you don't get hurt, which goes back to form and realistic goals (i.e. don't try to Bench 300 lbs first time out)

Chef

QuoteJust give all your extra cigarettes to me ;D and beer ;D and liquor ;D  and don't forget that extra greasy fried chicken too ;D

puff, puff, give    MOFO

SEE !!! ??? >:(.................

;D   ;D   ;D   ;D    ;D  

Chef

Quotermahr -

My routine is custom tailored for Cycle Racing  

hey sdiver68,

is your 4 days every other day? or monday to thurs? or what?
and approx how long, per day, does it usualy take you?

if im not out-o-bounds to ask...

ike

Baltobuell

"quitting smoking is easy. I've done it a thousand times." Mark Twain

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteChris,
I'll quit with you. I don't even know you but if you see me smoking at the track..

You're on.  I've been a lightweight 4 stroke rider my whole career, so a 2 stroke guy like you is my natural enemy!  I can't let you win!  (See, this is what I need.  Competition makes life worth living!)
Tomorrow is a new day, so what ever smokes I have left tonight go out the window at my exit off the highway.  We can whine about how tough it is here on this thread, and our peers can thrash and dog us (They'll hate that!) if we fail.  The cool thing about this race is that everyone can win, and you only lose if you decide to. (But if there's a trophy, I'm taking it! >:()  Anyone else want to get in on this?  No entry fee, and we'll even take late starters!
K3
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

sdiver68

not not at all...

Mon-Tues-Thur-Friday

Approx 45 minutes on average...although days including pure cardio work are a little longer and days without cardio are a little shorter.

I tend to belong to the school of thought that if you are spending any more time in the gym than ~45 minutes, you are wasting time.  I think I first read this in Arnold's book of bodybuilding in the late 80's.  Arnold's book is a great base for gaining knowledge on types of lifts and form, but strictly following his programs (designed for bodybuilding) will result in over-training unless you are on steroids like he was  :o  

However, like I said earlier, this routine is a work in progress.  I know its much more focused now than when I started, but its really going to take a full year + to evaluate it against real world racing results, and to see how my 45 minute theory is modified to take into account endurance racing (and AMA length "Sprints") when you may run more than that in a single shift.

K3 Chris Onwiler

I found it was easier to quit smoking if I told myself that if I started again, I would sell my racebike.  If you tell a bunch of people that, and tell them to make you stick too it, it is easier than you think.

Wouldn't work.  You know that NRA bumper sticker that says "You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers"?  'Nuff said!  I'm really going to quit smoking though.  All I need is a bunch of people who I actually respect enough to consider peers to hound me mercilisly.  Hmmmm, wonder where I could find a group of people like that?

Chef

too late,
but i wish i was privy to this board last year at this time!

K3,
Major thanx again, and again and again for being there in reese's stead last march!

Ike

Protein Filled

Quote All I need is a bunch of people who I actually respect enough to consider peers to hound me mercilisly.  Hmmmm, wonder where I could find a group of people like that?

Oh, just quit smoking and shut up. Actually, here is an incentive. I don't think you should quit smoking. smoke as much as you want and as many as possible. It's a lot easier to beat you when I can hear you weezing while I am outbreaking you!!!

;D ;D ;D

How is that to start with?
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

K3 Chris Onwiler

You've NEVER outbraked me, Edgar.  Wait... The doorbell.  Be right back....   Hmmm.  A FedEx package from Minnisota.  No return address...  A carton of Marlboros!  Who the...?

Dawn

Hey Chris...

If this would help - I could take those cigars that you got from Floater at Gingerman.  

Just trying to help.

Dawn   ;)

(I did stop smoking cigarettes, but I do enjoy a good cigar once in a while - - No Clinton jokes please)

spyderchick

want motivation?
All forms of tobacco; chaw, cigars and cigarettes, reduce athletic performance. Depending on your original conditioning and the depth of your habit, it can reduce performance from 15-70% If you're dead it reduces your performance by 100%.

The fact that there are not enough personal trainers who understand racing is correct. Racing is a unique sport, requiring mental as well as physical discipline. As A PFT, I don't think a majority of racers take their fitness, nutrition and related condtioning seriously. Those that do will tell you that it helped them excel.

If I were to tell you that you could increase the performance of your motorcycle by doing A,B and C, you'd spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours. I tell you to eat right, quit smoking, lose the alcohol, work out, drink plenty of water and get plenty of sleep, and alot of people look at me cross eyed. Funny thing is, your body IS your machine. You need to tune it, fuel it properly, and give it the TLC to perform as part of your overall race package, rider and bike.

Chris, good luck in the good fight. If you need help quitting, there are lifestyle managment profesionals out there to help you do it safely and effectively.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

the_weggie_man

Cigarette smoking is a mind set. Yes there is the physical dependency, but unless you've been smoking many, many years it's more mental than physical. That is my opinion.

I smoked for 14 years, at the end it was 2-3 packs per day, but  they were only .75 per pack then.

I got pretty sick after a weeklong bike vacation to Sturgis. Thought maybe it was the copious amounts of alcohol I consumed during the trip so I didn't have a drink for a like a week, still felt like sh-t.  Next step was the smokes.  I stopped for a few days and started feeling better so I made the decision to stop then and there. I stopped cold turkey after 14 years and 2-3 packs a day.  Haven't had one since, that was 25 years ago.

Notice I said "I made the decision" to stop. That is what it takes, the will, the strength to say "I quit". No excuses about how bad you "need" a cigarette, you don't need anything that harms you.

You just stop and stick to it, no excuses. I also made a good friend stop by taking away every pack of smokes I found her with. Eventually she got tired of spending money on smokes I threw away and she quit.

I could wish you luck and say "Hang in there" but instead I'll say "Just do it!".

Gixxer124

Go for it, K3! I won't smoke if you won't. (Unless I start riding a 2 stroke.) Later, Kevin

K3 Chris Onwiler

It's all good.  Haven't smoked for five hours now, and I feel great!  Where's my gun...

chris_chops

Try the binge smoking approach.  Smoke as many as you can till you get really, really sick to your stomach.  Then do it again.  Then again.  It worked for me with ben and jerrys.  Sadly, I can't model anymore, but I kicked my ice cream habit.  This should work for smoking as well.  In fact, I saw it on t.v. and t.v. never lies.

dahustler

K3. I can help. I'll make random stops by your house, and for every cigarette I find, a donation of 5 bucks goes to your favorite teamate's racing fund. :o
David Vaughn
ccs mw ex#27
TrackdayMag.com Racing
Chitown Hustlers

K3 Chris Onwiler

K3. I can help. I'll make random stops by your house, and for every cigarette I find, a donation of 5 bucks goes to your favorite teamate's racing fund.  

I guess I'll just have to hide the butts.  How about down your intake ports!  Excuse my crabbyness...

Gixxer124

Hey K3, If you don't quit, I don't want to hear you complaing that gate fees, entry fees ect... are too much. If you can afford to smoke....... :P

K3 Chris Onwiler

What am I going to do now?  The snow is melting, and all the bodies are going to be found.  Why did they have to get up in my face while I was feinding for a smoke?  That nun.  What was it she said?  Oh, I remember.  "Excuse me, sir..."  Yeah.  She was just asking for it...
One whole weekend so far.  You better not be smoking, Rev...
K3

chris_chops

Hey, one weekend is a great start K3.  I wish you more strength during the week.  If you need to take out more agression, get an old helmet and beat on it with a baseball bat.  It is actually quite refreshing.
You can learn alot about its construction that way and it takes a long time to get anywhere.

Matt

K3 Chris Onwiler

I've learned a lot about a helmet's construction in one crash... :o

KBOlsen

Chris - it's all about mental strength.  I went cold turkey from a 3-pack-a-day habit that lasted ten years.  Haven't touched a cigarette since 1990.  Now I can't stand the smell of smoke.  Key is that you REALLY MUST HAVE THE DESIRE TO QUIT.

Gregg Tymon offers a fitness program designed for roadracers... He can create a regimen for you tailored to your fitness level.  Let me know if you want more details.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

oldguy

Ooooohhh, I don't know if I want to be around yu Chris. ;D ;D ;D
J/K, best of luck. I smoked for 22 years, quit 5 times and one time my wife went out and bought a pack and threw them at me and told me to smoke the whole pack.
Then one day I was raking leaves and had to stop every 5 minutes to catch my breath and said "This is absolutely stupid!". I threw the pack in the fire and haven't had any for 17 years (Well, maybe one puff or two to remind me every 5 years or so).
You can do it--- interestingly your body loses the addiction quicker than the mind! Keep at it and look what you started! (More faster competitors)
Doug

K3 Chris Onwiler

Mental strength?  MENTAL STRENGTH?  Are you ACUSING ME of having mental strength?  How long have you known me, Kim?
(Anyone as big and as old as me who decides to go motorcyle racing AND tries to be good at it is probably a little off, don'tcha think?)
K3
P.S.  E me those details...

Eddie#200

I know someone that smokes... he said he would quit when the price reached $1.00 a pack.  That happend years ago.  He still smokes.   >:(

I doubt anyone would sell the race bike to use as a reason either.  Habits are hard to break.   Just do what ever it takes. ;D

I never started smoking... don't tell me I'm lucky.  Luck had nothing to do with it. ;)

Dawn

QuoteI never started smoking... don't tell me I'm lucky.  Luck had nothing to do with it. ;)

You just didn't hang out with the so called 'cool crowd'.  It's amazing how a few years will change your perspective.

Dawn   ;)

roadracer797

Dawn
I think Eddie was speaking of the legal kind of smokes because we all know he did something when he was young to look like this over 40.
Craig

Dawn

QuoteDawn
I think Eddie was speaking of the legal kind of smokes because we all know he did something when he was young to look like this over 40.
Craig

Ooohhhh.....   ;)

Eddie#200

QuoteOoohhhh.....   ;)

My being imortal has nothing to do with smoking. ;D