News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Gridding?

Started by stumpy, December 26, 2002, 04:33:30 PM

stumpy

Hello,
 I am going to start racing next year and had a couple of questions, How do the find out the gridding system? Is it really how fast you register, How can I register if I dont even have a racing license yet? (taking the first school there is). I hate to be gridded dead last  :'( And also how long do a set of tires last? Between practicing and racing say 2 classes. Just seeing how much money I have to put away ;) Thanks!
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

Speedballer347

Quote...I hate to be gridded dead
My 1st race(gto) I got a good grid and went into turn-1 in 5th place.  Entered turn-3 in LAST place, and my bike had a bunch of different colored paint/scratches on it :o
 ;D
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

sportbikepete

What tires, what bike, etc? Heh if you grid dead last then you can only improve, right?

chris_chops

You want to be last in your first race, then have somebody take your lap times.  If you are a superstar turning the same laps as the fast ams then pre-enter that weekend for the next round.  If you are not turning close to those times, you have no reason to start up front other than watching people blow by you or just move you out of the way.  Play it safe and feel it out from the back.  You'll learn how to pass riders which is very valuable in this sport.  
Matt

stumpy

ya I guess that makes sense to be gridded near the back so I can play it by ear ...So say I did wait and register say a couple weeks before a race would I even be gridded mid-pack? Oh, I am on a f4i and probably the 208gps and They would last longer with Tire Warmers...Correct?
www.teamstumpyracing.com

Super Dave

Tire warmer will make them last longer, but the correct suspension set up will make them last longer, give you faster lap times more consistently, and keep you off the ground.

We offer that kind of help at my school.  Don't know if you're in the area for us, but we can help.
Super Dave

stumpy

Ya I talked to you a couple of weaks ago, I will be attending your school in April...Then will I be able to practice on that Friday and register for the races, when I get the school certificate?
www.teamstumpyracing.com

Super Dave

That should be good, yes.  Registration might even be open on Thursday evening too.  We'll know more when it happens.
Super Dave

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteYa I talked to you a couple of weaks ago, I will be attending your school in April...Then will I be able to practice on that Friday and register for the races, when I get the school certificate?

Ahhhhhh!  Fresh meat! :D
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Steviebee

Another question about gridding ??

Say I pre-enter for a couple of races.
Doesn't CCS makes the first timers run with a blue jersy and start dead last ? for 2 weekends ?

And if i pre-enter and get gridded up front, can i still start in the back ?

Super Dave

The shirt thing is a school thing.  CCS decides what works.  They don't have a shirt per se that they make you wear.  And they don't make you start from the back.  I'll have one for you.  It will just serve to annoy the guys you pass.  LOL!

We'll get you up to speed.  Patience will be the key.    
Super Dave

bmfgsxr

if your just starting off your better off in the back. you wont get run over by the faster guys, and it will give you some people to pick off as you try and work your way up front. ;D