Zee best boot is?

Started by chris_chops, December 25, 2002, 10:50:02 AM

chris_chops

I want to hear about some boots from y'all.  I want to hear some descriptive, and real, stories of boots that took very serious blows and the rider suffered no injuries.  Example:  My left Daytona boot was run over by a gsxr750 on the brakes in t1 at blackhawk, and although a little sore, I had no injuries.  I'm looking to buy some very good boots.  I alrerady know Daytonas are good.  What else can take a SERIOUS blow!!!!  An example of a lame test and article are in the latest sport rider for the smx(not smx-plus)boots. The journalist said something like, "the boot took the brunt of the impact" without going on to describe what the impact was.  LAME REPORTING!!!!!!  I've already broke my ankle twice when the bike munched it wearing boots with tiny little protective plates near the ankle bone.

FastBoy

I too have had numerous ankle injuries over the years from football and skiiing so that now I have weakened the ligaments and tendons in my ankles. I usually wear footwear that gives me a little extra support now when I'm doing something strenuous like weight lifting playing basketball, etc. This is also the reason I will only wear boots with ankle protection systems like Oxtar TCS, Sidi Race Vert and Alpine Stars Super Tech. Yes, I have looked into each and now sport a set of Oxtar TCS Evos. They offer lateral and flexion protection whereas most other boots just offer a little plastic for impact and sliding. They are comfy to wear all day and I also like that they extend a little higher and come up a  higher on the leg than some boots.
Same goes for all protective gear...get the best you can afford.

chris_chops

Thanks for the info, Fastboy.  Last year I wore the Alpinestars GP Tech FS boot with the carbon inserts but the zipper broke and I had to use buttons and duct tape to keep them on.  I had hopes that the smx line was of higher quality.  I'll check out the oxtars, what is the armor and/or support made of on them?  Also, are the toesliders readily available?  Thanks again.

Thingy

Hey Matt-

I only have experience with two boots...Teknic and Sidi Race Vertabrea boots.  While I have not had any 'hard impacts' that really make either one stand out, I would have to say that the Sidis kick butt.  They definitely seem better built.  Harder soles, ankle protection, all sliders are BOLTED on, etc.

I got my pair at the beginning of last year.  Shortly thereafter, Weber bought some, Hanson bought some, etc.  They are nice!

While I don't personally have a story, I do know that Casper took a pretty hard hit with them.  He actually broke the side ankle protection but came out of the accident just fine.  He asked me if I could get him a replacement ankle protector and said the only reason he was walking was because of that protection.  (Sorry to quote you Casper!)

Weber is hooked up with them and can get you a set if you want them.  By the way, I am not biased, I bought mine before Brian got set up with Sidi.  I will see you at the banquet when you get your trophy!
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

chris_chops

Bill,
   I look forward to seeing you guys as well.  Thanks for you input.  I've never been to the banquet before so I am going to issue a warning in advance for my late night pranks.
See you soon,
Matt     hmmm, who will pass out first........uh oh!

dave333

One that isn't in your mouth or rapidly approaching your backside?

;D ;D ;D

rmahr137

I bought my Sidi Race Verts after talking to Jeff Chen after he crashed at Blackhawk.  He smacked his boot pretty hard on the pavement, and broke the plastic protector, but his ankle was only sore.  I am pretty sure that he slide awhile with the boot under the bike, can't remember for sure.  I crashed in mine, and scraped them up a bit, but it wasn't that hard of an impact.  I hi-sided at Road America in a pair of AGV sport boots and broke my outside leg bone right above the ankle, and believe that if i would have had better boots, it might not have broken (the AGV sports didn't have any kind of guards or support in them).  I would say if you can afford the daytonas go with them, but then the Sidi's are second best.

khanson

Matt,

I raced with the Daytona Winners my first year and really liked them.

Last year I bought a pair of Sidi's top of the line and they held up really well through the crashes.  I was really happy with them.  My only complaint was my foot is a little narrower than normal and my foot moved around in them a little from side to side compared to my Daytonas.

I would highly recommend them and will purchase another pair this year.

Email me on the shifter.  Do you want me to order a new one or do you just want the money?

Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309

Super Dave

I'll agree with the problems with the Alpinestars.  Was sponsored by them in 1999/2000 and my boots and gloves seemed to just come apart.  Been using Diadoras for two years.  Work well, but Gearbox International stopped importing them.

The Oxtar's look interesting, but the SIDI's look more substantial.  Might have to get a set this year.
Super Dave

K3 Chris Onwiler

I wore Oxtars this year.  My foot is an enormous 13 wide, and it was nice just to find boots that fit.  GP shifting was invented with me in mind!  My problem, and it may have onle been because of my huge foot, was that the external ankle bracing hooked up on the heel guards of my footpegs when I was sliding around on the bike.  You have no idea how distracting and potentially dangerous this can be.  I rode several bikes, and it was a problem on them all.  My solution was to wrap duct tape around my ankles to keep the heel from sliding in between the plastic and the leather.  ugly and messy, but it worked.  For some reason, I didn't crash much this year.  I only fell four times in 18 weekends, and escaped with one abraision destroyed helmet and a pair of gloves relegated to backup duty by abraided carbon knuckle armor.  (That's the best glove feature yet!)
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

charliev

So where is the best (Cheap) place to buy the best boot. I like sidi, the best back protector, Bohn, and suspension, Penske shock please. Throw in a good divorce attorney when my wife finds out how much i spent.

K3 Chris Onwiler

Have you joined Team Lockhart Phillips yet?  Obviously not, or you wouldn't have asked that question.  Give them a try.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com