What to ask for from Sponsors

Started by skippyrau, January 16, 2006, 05:21:03 PM

skippyrau

I just started racing last year and have a few establishments interested in sponsoring me.  But I don't have a clue what I should ask for?  Can someone help me out?

Entrance fees?

Tires?

Travel expenses?

Thanks.

ecumike

Yes. Money. It can get you all of the above. ;D

skippyrau

Is there any unwritten rules or is whatever the market will bear?  I don't want to be greedy and blow future years.  But I don't want to leave anything on the table either.

ecumike

Ah yea.. this is the science of sponsorship. You have to feel them out, see what they want, what budget they have, etc...

MELK-MAN

2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Jeff

Above all, money is the hardest to get.  Don't shoot for it because you might shut yourself out of something else.

First off, what do YOU have to offer the sponsor?  Run a sticker on the bike & trailer?  Over-rated...  You need to do something to increase the bottom line of that sponsor, and then you can talk 'gimmies'.

Figure out what you need and what you can give back to the sponsor.  Trade out services of yours for product/service of theirs.

If you don't know what you need, shoot for an arrangement of a certain dollar value.  I.E., I will provide you my services in exchange for $500 worth of product or assistance in 2006.  That could equate to your sponsor paying for a couple weekend's worth of race entries, or your sponsor footing a tire-bill for a weekend.  Or, your sponsor sending you a new helmet when you crack yours.

Don't just shoot out resumes blindly.  Know who you are dealing with and what you can provide from them, as well as what you want from them.

Another thing/avenue to consider is sponsorhouse.com.  I have always written them off because I do my sponsorships myself.  However, this year there is a company I'm working with who made me register through sponsorhouse.com because that is how they administer their sponsorships.  I was VERY impressed with the layout and design of sponsorhouse, and what they do for pairing athletes with sponsors.  It's pretty cool and I'd recommend it to anyone who needs help in this avenue.

Again though, I can't stress this enough.  You will get less than you can give.  So if you have nothing to give, expect nothing in return.....  And if you say you have nothing, you need to consider the amount of people you talk to and can influence in a certain direction.  In 2000, I had a sponsor turn me down because he 'couldn't afford it'.  Well, I pushed about $20k worth of business his way in a very short time and he was calling ME to see what he could provide for me to keep it up.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

skippyrau

Now this is what I was looking for!  

Thanks and keep the advice coming.  I'm all ears (eyes).  

Skipper.  

gpstar1

I have a large development firm that sponsors me every year and what I do is make a list of items starting from 1,000 to 2,000. Then i go from 2,000 to 3,000 and I keep going up to 8,000. I list everything from oil, tires, body work, to fuel. Every year I usually get a sizeable check. At the end of the year I write them a nice thank you letter with a framed picture of me racing with the sponsors decals showing.  
Chris Kalb
EX Mid Atlantic 797 CCS / ASRA
LP Racing, Pirelli, Street & Comp,