News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

SV Tach/Temp Gauge?

Started by lbk, January 12, 2006, 02:44:56 PM

lbk

What are most using for a tach and temp guage setup? My stock cluster got smashed, so I'm looking for what most people use for just a tach and temp gauge.

Gixxerblade

lbk

Yeah I checked there, and found that same one, but I have a 99 SV so I don't think that one will work. I also found some other options on the WERA board, but all were around $300 which I was hoping not to spend that much on gauges.

Thanks for the link though.

grasshopper

Auto meter for Temp, I have one, it works good, Check SVRIDER.COM.

I believe they make a Tach too. But I'd have to see a schematic to wire it into the SV wire harness

lbk

Nick, thanks...

I have that current temp gauge setup, but it never really worked out that well. Plus I've heard there are a lot of vibration issues using the Auto meter tach, any ideas on that? I did hear someone say they just mounted it with rubber bushings and didn't have any problems.

dylanfan53

QuoteNick, thanks...

I have that current temp gauge setup, but it never really worked out that well. Plus I've heard there are a lot of vibration issues using the Auto meter tach, any ideas on that? I did hear someone say they just mounted it with rubber bushings and didn't have any problems.
Autometer makes a great tach, but vibration will kill it FAST!.  You'd better mount it well, encased in rubber somehow.  I didn't and the needle fell off.  Kudos to the company for replacing the tach with an apology. (and thanks to Ebay for providing a market to resell a brand new tach!)
Fast forward several crashes...
I now use an old GSXR 1100 tach that I got on Ebay for about $30.  Wrapped in bicycle inner tube rubber, it has held up well.  It reads 400 RPM high, but I'm aware of that and it keeps me from over revving the motor anyway.
Don Cook
CCS #53

grasshopper

How did you test to know that the tach is 400 RPM high?

dylanfan53

QuoteHow did you test to know that the tach is 400 RPM high?

Dyno when the motor was built.  I wasn't present.  I was told 400rpm by the mechanic which rang true to impressions on track.

That variance may be specific to the tach I have.
Don Cook
CCS #53

Super Dave

QuoteHow did you test to know that the tach is 400 RPM high?

Was always common on most bikes I've had dynoed.  Tach RPM and actual pick up RPM were different by a few hundred.  
Super Dave

dylanfan53

QuoteWas always common on most bikes I've had dynoed.  Tach RPM and actual pick up RPM were different by a few hundred.  
That's interesting.  Learned something new today.  :)
Don Cook
CCS #53

gpstar1

I forget the name of the tach I have but Street and Comp has them with the tach and temp all in one. They also have shift indicator lights on them too.
Chris Kalb
EX Mid Atlantic 797 CCS / ASRA
LP Racing, Pirelli, Street & Comp,

tzracer

QuoteI forget the name of the tach I have but Street and Comp has them with the tach and temp all in one. They also have shift indicator lights on them too.

That sounds like SPA.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

gpstar1

Thats it. Thanks, I had a brain fart when i was writing that.
Chris Kalb
EX Mid Atlantic 797 CCS / ASRA
LP Racing, Pirelli, Street & Comp,

H-man

QuoteI've heard there are a lot of vibration issues using the Auto meter tach, any ideas on that? I did hear someone say they just mounted it with rubber bushings and didn't have any problems.

Maybe one of you guys who originally posted the question is still monitoring this so here goes.

The issues that Auto Meter has with their tachs has bee resolved.  My '94 F2 came with an Auto Meter tach (and the needle was off it's spindle.  I shipped the tach to them for repair.  

The needle popped off again, and it was actually quite comical as it happened while I was riding and I just revved the tach to the point it just freaked and had to check out.   I called the folks at Auto Meter and explained that the needle fell off while in normal use (ha!).

For some reason, my mentioning that it was being used on a motorcycle (I thought this model was made for bikes ???) seemed to click a switch in the mind of the service rep.  He said for me to ship the tach.  I did and they repaired it w/o charge.

That was in the winter of 2004.  I've had no problems with the tach since.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill