Which class to start racing in?

Started by StealthSwede, March 21, 2002, 02:58:34 PM

StealthSwede

Hi all,

I'm planning to start racing next season in CCS. I live in San Francisco so the local race organization is AFM. The problem I have with them is they run the novices and experts in the same grid. And for some classes (like the 600 class) they also line up the 750's at the same time. So you have a grid of new 600 riders, expert 600 riders, and all the 750 riders, all competing at the same time. As you can imagine it's pretty chaotic, and fairly intimidating.

I was told CCS grids their amateurs separately from the experts. How many bikes usually line up for a CCS novice race, say in the middleweight (600 fours) class?

I've been advised to start on anything from Ninja 250's, Ninja 500's, SV 650's, to 600 fours. I've been doing lots of track riding on my 600 F3 and am very comfortable with that size bike, but don't want to get in over my head when I start racing. I don't mind racing a 600 with 10 other guys, but wouldn't want to do it with 50 others!

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

Fredrik

:P

StealthSwede

Thanks!

Any info on how the grids are done/how many novices on the average per grid?

GStar

GStar

QuoteThanks!

Any info on how the grids are done/how many novices on the average per grid?

Depends on the track, but it should be all novices and they'll run a 2 wave start if there are alot of bikes.

Litespeed

I don't think the number of people on the grid is as big of deal as it seems it would.  If you keep your head on straight and start in the back with no passing until after the first turn, the larger grids can be quite fun.  I have just started racing myself and used this in 2 races with 21 people and 23 people.  I started gettting lapped by the leaders on the 7th lap but by that time they were spread out enough to make it not matter.  Just make sure to keep smooth consistent lines and all will be fine.  Another think that might help, since you may not be going as fast as your bike can go, try not to use all of the track until you are going fast enough to race mid pack.  This will allow the faster riders plenty of room on either side for the pass.  As far as the 600 vs 650 debate, it looks like you have an F3 already, I would suggest racing it.  I went with a 600 over the SV because the race ready ones can be found much cheaper...