News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

SV radiator conversion

Started by dmurphy48, January 10, 2006, 03:58:37 PM

dmurphy48

I modified my SV650 motor a bit and am looking for some additional cooling for my bike.  I am looking to pick up a GSXR radiator and would like to know anyone's experience with modifying a GSXR radiator to fit a SV.  I know SVRaceshop.com has a conversion kit available but wanted some feedback before I dropped the money.  I have a 99-02 SV.  

Thanks

Dale

grasshopper

How much HP are you pushing?

I've seen full 90+ HP Superbike motors come out of a certain shop with the Stock Radiator.

Are you sure you need a different Radiator?

I would call around a couple shops to see if it's really necessary.

Gixxerblade

I have experience with that. In fact I modified mine with an R6 rad I got off the WERA board. It doesn't work. I found that out at turn one at Daytona last year, first practice first race of the year. It was hitting the front fender no matter how close I set it to the engine. I did it because my stock one was tweaked.
I have it for sale if you want to buy it. PM me.

dmurphy48

I am only expecting to be at around the low 80's in horsepower.  Greg Spears did not perform the engine work but when I was talking to him he mentioned it to me that it might run hot with the mods I did.  It made sense and I certainly don't want to be caught at the track with a hot motor but I don't wnat to throw $200 bucks at a conversion that isn't necessary and may not work.  

Any other thoughts?

grasshopper

Off SVrider.com in tips and tricks

Use a Auto Meter Brand # 2532 12volt w/light. use a dash mounting bracket and mount it on the side of speedo remove chrome cover to bolt to the gray plastic replace cover. Remove the sending unit for the red overheat light at the thermostat housing & install the sending unit for temp gauge same threads. Locate a switched 12 volt wire & follow installation sheet.

Super Dave

QuoteUse a Auto Meter Brand # 2532 12volt w/light.

Tach?
Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteAny other thoughts?

You running a lot of compression then?  Are you running a thermostat?
Super Dave

grasshopper

QuoteTach?

It's a Temp Guage, I have one, it's like 40 bucks, works good.

dmurphy48

I've got a temp gauge.  Of course that won't do me any good to actually cool the motor when I am overheating on pre-grid or out on the track.

Super Dave

QuoteYou running a lot of compression then?  Are you running a thermostat?

?
Super Dave

dylanfan53

QuoteI am only expecting to be at around the low 80's in horsepower.  Greg Spears did not perform the engine work but when I was talking to him he mentioned it to me that it might run hot with the mods I did.  It made sense and I certainly don't want to be caught at the track with a hot motor but I don't wnat to throw $200 bucks at a conversion that isn't necessary and may not work.  

Any other thoughts?

What climate do you race in?  I'm in the midwest.
I stayed at low 80's for reliability.  I've got two years on the motor (700 kit) with stock radiator.  Works fine and the engine's still in good shape.  My mechanic is a stickler.  We discussed it and decided it wasn't really necessary to go with a larger rad.  He wouldn't have let me out the door if he didn't think the stock rad was adequate.
Just my  $0.02.
Don Cook
CCS #53

Super Dave

Don are you using a thermostat or do you have a part of the thermostat in the housing?
Super Dave

dmurphy48

Thanks Don.  I race in Colorado and was really just fishing for someone to confirm my gut feeling that the additional cooling wasn't absolutely necessary.  I am going to do some pre-running before the start of the season so I guess I can just check it first than see what I need to do.  

Thanks.  

dylanfan53

QuoteDon are you using a thermostat or do you have a part of the thermostat in the housing?

Yes, I believe the thermostat's intact.  I don't recall removing it, unless Bill did and didn't tell me which I doubt.

Dale, regarding the GSXR rad, here's an old post from an SV board I belong to...(internet advice coming...buyer beware!)  :)

Q: Any one know if a '99 GSXR 600 radiator is a good fit on a SV?

A: No.  Rubs the front wheel.  Plus you have to cut and weld the spigots to match the SV's layout.  Been there done that....twice.  If you are able to have the welding done...then you will need to cut the mounting tab/protrusion from the front of the lead cylinder.  Then it will fit....but it's tight.  I know....I've done it to both of my SV's.

end quote...

I have no personal experience on that though.

Don Cook
CCS #53

grasshopper

If you do remove the thermostat on a motor that may run hot (Any motor, not just the SV) that would help the motor stay cooler correct? But on the other hand it may never get up to temp?

Super Dave

QuoteYes, I believe the thermostat's intact.  I don't recall removing it, unless Bill did and didn't tell me which I doubt.

You should check or ask.

A thermostat is an item that helps something get up to temperature.  You run the RPM's pretty high and hard on a race bike, so they get up to temperature no problem.  Generally, one removes a thermostat because of the risk that they can screw up and lock closed, which is a good way to really ruin a motor.

So, that's always something to check.

Next, liquid cooled engine is cooled by heat being transfered from the engine block to a coolant, then that heat is released into the air by the radiator.  

Now, IF a coolant moves too quickly though a radiator, it might not stay there long enough to remove "enough" heat.  So, some systems won't cool the motor with the thermostat completely removed.  Some will gut the thermostat and use that hole to restrict the speed of the coolant...increasing the coolants time in the radiator.  Some will make different sized plates to vary the flow through where a thermostat was.

And sometimes the coolant one uses will change the temperature of the coolant based on how much heat it's able to remove from the engine.
Super Dave

dylanfan53

Why bother?  My motor's  8) .  

I'm aware that some have removed the thermostat but I think most mildly built SVs are intact.

I may be doing more to the motor to increase hp this winter though so I'll probably have to address the issue, as well as the possibility of a larger radiator if I go much beyond where I am now.

I'm starting a new post about a/c Ducatis so I don't jack this thread.
Don Cook
CCS #53

tzracer

Another trick is to close the bypass circuit (you must remove/gut the thermostat). SVs run cooler with this done.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke