News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Putnam Park - Does anyone else miss racing there?

Started by GSXR RACER MIKE, December 20, 2002, 06:38:02 PM

GSXR RACER MIKE

I was just thinking how much I miss racing at Putnam Park and thought I would see if I was the only one that wished we had that one back on CCS's schedule for the midwest.
   I realize there were a couple problems before with coordination between the track and CCS, but WERA seems to make it work somehow. I wonder if the track has resolved the problems that CCS had with them previously?
   Just wondering what the other racers and CCS staff thought about this track?
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

dave333

Yep.  Shore do!!!  I finally started turning some decent amateur times there...

Of course, I don't want a repeat of the last time I was there...  I was flown out of PCH to Indianapolis because they thought I was pretty busted up.  I walked out of the hosptital the next day.  (Thank ya Lord!)

GSXR RACER MIKE

As far as safety is concerned, I think the last turn where your heading toward that wall seperating hot pit lane and the track is about the only real negative point Putnam has against it. Other than that, there is run-off area in most spots and multiple passing opportunities are available.
   Another rare feature is being able to see almost the entire racing surface from the spectator area. Heartland Park (at the top of the bleachers) and Mid-America Motorplex are the only other ones I have raced at with this unique feature (also Daytona, if you want to go over to the bleachers).
   I'm curious Dave333 how and where you crashed there? I have done pretty well in having limited crash experience myself (only 2 while racing) and have not had the pleasure of doing so at Putnam, yet!

dave333

I high sided coming out of the bus stop.  What is that, T5?  I rolled on the throttle and broke the back end loose.  It went back and forth a few times before it let me know who was boss...

GSXR RACER MIKE

High-siding sucks!!! I did that once at Road America (turn 14) while trying to pass for 4th place during a combined NASB event there (had Grant Lopez on my back- he must of had a good view of my crash).
   One year I was racing at Putnam and some one ship wrecked the Exxon Valdez in that corner you spoke of. Had enough oil down to start a refinery. After attempting a clean up they had to put down cones to route you around the spill cause it was so bad. I got stuck for a couple laps behind a guy on an R1 that kept clipping the cones with his exhaust and scattering them all over the place right in front of me (a friend was video taping me and has a shot of one of the cones flying up in the air and almost nailing me in the helmet).

rmahr137

putnam park is one of the reasons I keep my AHRMA license, that and Mid-Ohio, and last year Grattan.  They were the only ones racing those tracks last year.  It would be great if CCS would race there, putnam is a really cool track.

dave333

Our only real consolation is that WERA races there.  I don't like having to pay for two licenses, but at least that way I can play on all my favorite playgrounds...

rmahr137

i seem to remember that WERA used to let you race one weekend a year on a CCS or other competition license.  You might want to check on this.  Are they having a national there this year, or just a regular regional event.  They might let you run the regional event, maybe give you a temp license for like $20 or something.