News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

My experience at the Harley Shop

Started by Dawn, December 20, 2002, 01:44:44 PM

Dawn

Yesterday I went into the Harley Shop to buy my dad a Christmas present.  Through the grape vine, I heard that the shop in Appleton has a Dyno.  

After my purchase, I walked to the service counter and asked about their Dynojet service.  He proceded to tell me without looking up that the service is $60.00 per hour and it takes about and hour and a half for carburated bikes.  He then looks up from his computer terminal and after a long pause he says:  "What kind of bike is it?"  Innocent enough question, but the look on his face was:  I know this person isn't talking about a Harley.  

I chuckled a little bit and explained it was a Suzuki.  He said "we don't do those here!  We only do Harley's."  All I was asking was for a baseline, but he didn't even want to consider it.  Too funny.

Dawn   :)

K3 Chris Onwiler

That SV'd probably break their dyno! ;D  At least it's a twin.  Did you know that a Harley is the most efficient device ever created by man for turning gasoline into noise without producing harmful horsepower bi-products?
I once had a guy spend ten minutes trying to convince me that Jap bikes were $#it.  After he ran down the extensive list of parts in his bored ans stroked pi... I mean hog, I asked him how much horsepower it had.  "A hunnert an twenny!"  "Nice," I replied.  "And what does it weigh?"  Silence.  "I've got a 600cc Yamaha," i said.  "Wanna race for titles?"  He made a rude comment, fired up his machine, and hurt my ears bad as he left.  If you have to ask, you'll never understand...  ???
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Dawn

LOL...!!!!

No I don't need to ask, I DO understand!

Dawn   ;)

clutch

He is jealous..probably knew that the Suzuki wouldnt need any after Dyno fixin since its a jap bike..ha.  I once saw a guy beat a guy who was braggin how tough and bad his Harley was and how he was never beat by anything pull up to the line next to a 900rr..the Harley guy said he was gonna take him..the flag dropped and the RR won on one wheel givin the guy a thumbs up after he nailed 2nd, 3rd, 4th on one wheel..squid thing but was funny..Harley kept goin never to be seen again

Dawn

The first question I get asked when non-cycle people find out I ride is:  "What kind of Harley do you have?"   ???

After a while it just gets a little tiring.  Just because I have a few years (age wise) under my belt doesn't mean that I need to ride a big cruiser.  Nope, watching their face when I tell them I ride a ZX-6 (since most don't know what that is I help them by saying "crotch rocket") is priceless.   ;D

To me a person who rides is a person who rides.  I waive to everyone on a bike.  Sometimes they waive back and sometimes they don't.  Just don't count me out because of the type of bike a ride. - -

Although one of the funniest things happend on one summer day....  We live in a very rural, wooded area so we have a lot of people who travel the roads where we live.  I was travelling down the county highway with my leathers, gloves and full face helmet (all matching of course in colors, purple, yellow and black).  Comming to a stop sign were several Harleys with everyone in costumes (leather chaps, leather vest with no shirt, no helmet and sunglasses).  Since I had the right-of-way, they had to wait for me to go through.  I waived, but they didn't waive back....  Was it something I said  ???  I was laughing all the way home.

Dawn   :)

KBOlsen

LOL - I can relate... love to give my Harley friends a hard time... "Gee... wanna race my little baby Twin?  It's the same size as a Sportster - what, you don't think you can take me?" ;D

So how many ponies in that thing?  And what did it cost to get you theree?  Awww... geee.  116 cu.in. motor (yeah, inches) and only 90-100 hp?   ::)

ROFLMAO!!!!

I just wish I had discovered sportbikes a long time ago.

Dawn - shoot me an "E" if you want to go shopping for Harley things... John works for our local dealer.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

sdiver68

The best thing about riding a real twin on the street is watching how the Harley crowd all looks up to see what is coming and then the look of scorn on their face when they see the "crotch rocket"  ;D

I had a Harley guy go off on those "damn japanese bikes" after I parked at a popular stop to grab a gatorade last Sunday (it was 60 and sunny!) After politely nodding my head for about a minute I informed him that Ducati was Italian, after which he wanted to "check it out"..... :-/

BUT, I did find something good Harley makes, believe it or don't.  I needed another tie down strap down when a picked up my racebike last Saturday and the only place in site was a Harley shop.  So I stopped and bought ones with the Harley logo on the cinch mechanism for almost $40!  But, they are about twice as thick as normal tie downs and worked really well, they didn't slip at all and had rubber coated hooks on both sides.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Speedballer347

Quote....when a picked up my racebike last Saturday
I guess you did get that AMA bike :(
ugh...I quit! ;D ;)
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Gixxer124

sdiver68

You wouldnt want it Kevin, the suspension is not stock :P
MCRA Race School Instructor

roadracer797

Gee Dawn
I've never had this problem at the local Harley dealer here or when I went to the Harley dealer on St Martin. It just must be you, you have to get the mener look I guess.LOL
Craig

EX#996

QuoteGee Dawn
I've never had this problem at the local Harley dealer here or when I went to the Harley dealer on St Martin. It just must be you, you have to get the mener look I guess.LOL
Craig

LOL !!!!

I'll try, but I may need to have some lessons.  You'll have to show me how to scowl and look real mean.   ;)  (Do you think I can do it?)

Kim:

Thank you for you offer.  I may just take you up on that sometime.

Dawn   :D
Paul and Dawn Buxton