News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

becoming a cornerworker

Started by gpzrider, January 04, 2006, 05:06:07 PM

gpzrider

Hey all,

I'm an avid mc roadracing fan and would like to start participating more at the races without actually racing.  Cornerworking seems to be a good way to do that.  I've been thinking of doing this for a few year now and decided now's the time to start.

I'm located up in southeastern Minnesota, so would be interested in helping out with the Midwest region.  I know that it is still a few months off (not being able to ride because of winter is driving me nuts, so I instead just dream about what motorcycle related stuff I am going to do during the summer), but was wondering what I need to do when the time comes to get involved?

I've also thought about working in some other areas (grid, starter, scoring, etc), but am assuming that cornerworking is where there is the greatest need.

Thanks for any info.

Snarky

Shoot an E-mail to Bill Ritger - he and his lovely wife Claudia head up the Midwest Safety Crew, which handles cornerworking in the Midwest.

ritger@sbcglobal.net

Wear white, if you've got it.  Otherwise, avoid wearing anything with red, yellow or black.  Cornerworker meetings generally start at 7:05 a.m. on race days.  You'll sign up, spend the morning receiving instruction on protocol/procedures and after lunch (which is paid for) will be paired up with an experienced cornerworker.  Long days... good times... great camraderie... great people.  You can't get any closer to the action than this.

Suzy

The first race of the year is at Road America April 21 - 23. Don't plan for nice weather, it could be nice (hopefully),if not bring warm shoes and rainsuit, who knows with the weather. Wear all white - no orange, red or yellow. When you get there go to registration and tell them your corner working and they will send you in the right direction. Then you will get trained and work. You need to work 3 days in a row to get certified. See you there.
BE THERE BEFORE 7:00 AM.

http://www.roadamerica.com/2006/index.htm

gpzrider

Is it an expectation that cornerworkers work every race weekend?  I'm trying to balance this with family and work and therefore know upfront that at least for this year will only be able to work a couple of the weekends.

Also, if 3 days work in a row are required to get certified, how does this work if I can't make Road America since that appears to be the only 3 day race on the schedule?  Is this the only opportunity for the required training?

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Suzy

Correction, you get certified after your one day of training.  ;D

Snarky

Just show up for as many days as you can - the help is greatly appreciated and you certainly won't be turned away!

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteIs it an expectation that cornerworkers work every race weekend?  I'm trying to balance this with family and work and therefore know upfront that at least for this year will only be able to work a couple of the weekends.

Also, if 3 days work in a row are required to get certified, how does this work if I can't make Road America since that appears to be the only 3 day race on the schedule?  Is this the only opportunity for the required training?

Thanks again for the quick responses.

As what was said before, you work whatever days you want or can. You dont have to do the whole weekend.

I used to race and cornerwork the same weekend. Do practices and if my races were at the beginning of the day, I wouldnt go work until after my race was done. If it was at the end, I'd go work after practice until 2 races before mine.

Training is half a day with the corner worker instructor, take a little test before lunch and then you are placed on a corner with an experienced worker for the rest of the day.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

gpzrider

Thanks for all the info!  I'm working on my schedule now to see what races I can work.

I can't wait for the season to start!

EmerWil

Although it may be a little out of your area...

The Mid Atlantic Road Racing Club has a great website.  Check us out at www.marrc.org

We have a very detailed cornerworker guide posted along with other little tidbits you might find interesting.

Will

cra_fizzer

Come up to BIR and work a CRA race.  We would be glad to have you!!  Just ask for me.

http://www.cra-mn.com/

pm me if you have any questions.  Our first race is down in Pacific Junction Iowa at MidAmerica Motorplex on April 28-30.  The rest of the season is at BIR