News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Holly WAhhh my boss is gonna crap!

Started by DanO966, December 18, 2002, 04:19:39 PM

DanO966

Ok I just did a little calculating.  To run the whole season next year I'm going to be asking for 25-30 days off.  That doesn't include Daytona Weekends.  Which I do plan on attending (well race of champions for sure), but it does include ample practice days. (Fridays and travel time)
First of all I've been working at WMS for about 5 years and I've only taken one vacation (11 days) in those 5 years and days here and there but no where close to reaching the sum of 14 days per year.  (Which is in my contract).  Well to the average guy you're going ok well I guess that He (owner) may owe you the days.  But the only problem is I work for a motorcycle dealership I'm really not a peon there either (but in this case I really wish I was one of the part timers that work for me..lol) As you can imagine the winter is our slow season and the summer is the busy season.  And to top that, I'm asking for a lot of Fridays and Saturdays off which historically are our busiest days.  What the heck do I do???  He's gonna crap!  I'm thinking if he tells me no I'm gonna be looking for a new job.  I've always wanted to race all of my life I've just never gotten off of my lazy ass to do it.  Last year was my first year (well first couple of races) at road racing and now I'm hooked!!  Totally love it.  I'm not going to let him keep me from racing!!! Damn it...lol
uhhhh anyone looking for help??..lol
Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem?  I know my buddy just asked for a bunch of time off for this season uhhh to make a long story short I think he's looking for a new job...haha
Any ideas???  

DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

r1owner

Yeah, that sucks.

I know another dude that works at a motorcycle shop that races as well.  He has the same issue as you.

You really need to get a job out of the retail segment.  That way weekends are almost always free.

For me, I hope my contract place will let me have some Fridays off.  I can bank hours up during the year, and use them later (as long as the place I am contracting at will let me have the days) I should be golden.

KBOlsen

John has a similar problem... I haven't told him yet EXACTLY how many Thursday/Friday/Saturdays we will need... :o but I'm sure his co-workers will not be happy!
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

sdiver68

Just do what I'm doing and take the whole season off ;D...I may work 15 hours per week or maybe do some volunteer work.

I say that now but I'll probably chicken out lol
MCRA Race School Instructor

r1owner

What the hell, are you a "trust fund baby"? ;)

DanO966

QuoteWhat the hell, are you a "trust fund baby"? ;)
no not really
But I am really trying to guess the correct lottery numbers...LOL

'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

GSXR RACER MIKE

If your having a problem with getting time off from work and only have Sundays off regularly consider racing only on Sunday. Depending on the bike(s) you race you can still get alot of track time by running all/most the sprints available on Sunday. If your looking for class championships, that's still available too.
   You could maybe just do both days on twin sprint weekends in order to keep your points up in the normal Sunday classes. You may also have to take off a Saturday if the event is further than you can safely drive after work on Saturday.
   By not missing so much work it really helps to keep the finances in check too. It may be a compromise you don't want to make, but at least it can keep you racing and keep your boss off your back.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Super Dave

Well, if you want my opinion...LOL!

If you're lucky, you get fired.  So, then the MOTHER OF COMPENSATION, Unemployment, will keep you racing.

Or you could quit your job now.  Afterall, you'll be making so much money, right? ;D
Super Dave

Jeff

Concentrate on the weekends.  Friday practices are somewhat optional depending on the track.  After a good few weekends and a few thousand miles around BHF, skipping the Fri practice isn't such a big deal.

Work the 'exposure' spin on him (and then live up to it).  Represent his dealership well.  Tell him it's a "team effort" and requires his help in this manner in exchange for the amount of PR you will be doing by winning races and pleasing the crowd with the stand-up mono's afterwards...  

It's all in the power of pursuasion (sp?), it's not that hard...  Raising/borrowing/stealing the money to support a full season is far more difficult than securing a few days off...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

OmniGLH

Hahhahahha 40 days??  Holy sheezus.  How in the hell did you get 40????  I calculated 14. Oh wait, I guess I probably didn't include saturdays.  Although I caught wind this morning that *my* boss is counting Saturdays AND Sundays against my vacation days if I request them off (and I work 8-5 M-F as well)  What a bunch of BS.  Yes I am looking for a new job!!!

Hey Dan I'll tell you what, I'm gonna quit my job, sell my house, and go work for Outback or something PT.  I'll just rent out your basement for a few hundo a month...

And FYI - most of the 14 days I counted were travel days.  MAM, Gateway, Gingerman, etc... I don't want to have to drive 6+ hours home, after racing in the hot sun all day.  I'd rather get a good night's sleep and drive back the following morning.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

DanO966

QuoteHahhahahha 40 days??  Holy sheezus.  How in the hell did you get 40????  I calculated 14. Oh wait, I guess I probably didn't include saturdays.  Although I caught wind this morning that *my* boss is counting Saturdays AND Sundays against my vacation days if I request them off (and I work 8-5 M-F as well)  What a bunch of BS.  Yes I am looking for a new job!!!

Hey Dan I'll tell you what, I'm gonna quit my job, sell my house, and go work for Outback or something PT.  I'll just rent out your basement for a few hundo a month...

And FYI - most of the 14 days I counted were travel days.  MAM, Gateway, Gingerman, etc... I don't want to have to drive 6+ hours home, after racing in the hot sun all day.  I'd rather get a good night's sleep and drive back the following morning.

haha

Well you're gonna have to fight my cats for the donwstairs...lol  But yeah no problem...lol

And oops I didn't count any mondays for travel time... :o :o :o
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

DanO966

QuoteHahhahahha 40 days??  Holy sheezus.  How in the hell did you get 40????  I calculated 14.

I only said 25-30 days... ;)
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6