News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

i don't wanna be the hw guy

Started by fzr400tony, September 29, 2001, 08:56:12 AM

fzr400tony

i don't have any advice, i'm actually looking for some.

what does everyone do to stay in shape.

i started lifting weights every other day and walking/jogging (or mountain biking if the weather is good) on the off days of lifting.  i also try to do situps while watching tv.

so far i've lost about 22lbs this way (but i'm in the hw catagory  :D).

but once winter comes, i'm afraid of packing on the tons.

ideas????

JamesC459

Go to Rich Olivers page at www.simplysteel.com/Racingx.html
there is a page that covers a very good fitness routine.

Admin

Well, lifting weights and jogging are good, but what helped me more then anything else...diet  :-X  Yea, yea, everyone hates dieting...but when I got rid of all the fatty foods, stopped eating sweets, and was doing a workout routine, it really helped.  I ate a lot of chicken and baked potatos (dry!).  It sounds boring, but I got used to it, and really didn't want anything else.

Shawn

fzr400tony

QuoteWell, lifting weights and jogging are good, but what helped me more then anything else...diet  :-X  Yea, yea, everyone hates dieting...but when I got rid of all the fatty foods, stopped eating sweets, and was doing a workout routine, it really helped.  I ate a lot of chicken and baked potatos (dry!).  It sounds boring, but I got used to it, and really didn't want anything else.

Shawn

shawn,

i've done a lot of that too.  i found that chicken breast, zuchini, onions and mushrooms in teryaki sauce tastes really good and only about 20 minutes to make.  just cut it up, and throw in a frying pan without oil, butter or any of that bad crap.  i end up eating this about 3 times a week.

i already said good bye to dominos and brownies.

i did a couple of team challenge races.  the first was before exercise, the second was after.  the first race i was happy to see the pit-in board come out.  the second, i was bummed to see it.  and the second race was in hotter conditions.  

but i do miss fried chicken!!!!! >:(

Mongrel

My workouts now consist of lower body workouts.  Leg extensions, Leg curls, Leg press, and calf workouts.  I also spend time on an aerobic workout. Not woried about my weight (I am only 140). Up until I started racing I always though it took more upper body strength, but after my first couple of races I found out that it is almost all-lower body.  So bike riding and mountain biking should be excellent.  One of the other things I found that really helps is to make sure you stretch out.  You have to be very limber this helps reduce injuries in the event of a crash not the mention it helps when going from side to side on the bike.

Eric Kelcher

Get a small dirtbike like XR100 TTR125 or cr/kc/rm/yz 125 and run the thing on down weekends gets uyou used to sliding a bike around and boy does it make for a work out.

Yard work is great gets you out in the heat and requires work.

Other thing that is really good is swimming. I hit the lake and ski and swim well float and drink beer but the sking makes up for it alright I slack off one weekend a month.   ::) 8)
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

sportbikepete

I'm still trying to convince the wife that if whe gives it up more like maybe twice a day, I'd be thinner and in better shape. Thus far she says I'm full of you know what.

JFlack

I went exactly the opposite direction with diet.  I was kicking wildly back and forth between 134 and 142# and th 8 lb swings were as much a function of diet as anything.

I dropped all the carbs from my diet and i started eating more proteins and mre viggies.  my weight has stabalized at 135 and i have a lot more endurance and strength.  As soon as I eat any significant amount of carbs my endurance level drops like a stone and my strength and concentration drop as well.

Jonathan

MudDawg

2 words.  You suck.  135 lbs?  Geeeez.  Quit complaining.  I'm DOWN to 221 lbs right now.  Whew....those extra 8 lbs are gonna add 1+ hp to your power to weight ratio.  (Or about 15 hp in the power to weight ratio given identical bikes.)  Arg!!!

If only I could ride.

CBRman93

Here is some great advice to all the guys out there working out. I've been training real hard to qualify for the Navy's EOD unit and that consists of running, lots of swimming, and weight training. I'm in excellent shape and it's all paying off.

But here's the bad part of it all. Last season I was around 170. After several months of training hard and eating right and taking supplements such as protein, creatine, etc. I went up to 190. Now don't get me wrong, being 5'11'' and 190 is great, especially when it's good weight but guess what.

The leathers are a little tight!!!!
I got a new back protector from 1888Fastlap and of course had to try it on. Well, I could have used a hand and maybe a large shoe spoon!

So dieting, weight training, exercising, and the likes is great both physically and mentally. But be careful not do overdue it either way. I hear loose leathers can be a bad thing. And overly tight ones I'm sure will effect performance to some degree.

Just my $.02.

Ben
CCS #501
NESBA#132

funksouljon

Ben, my thoughts exactly. Since I am tall and thin, my leathers fit a bit loose. I decided I wouldn't bother working out at all and try to put on weight. I am still young enough where that can be more of an effort than loosing weight. So I am trying to fatten up a little! :)
I hope my 2 pushups a night (that would be to get out of bed and go pee late at night) get me in shape for the season.

Litespeed

A good book for getting fitting and losing weight is Body for Life.  I have made the effort to read it and most of it makes sense and is easy to follow.  The biggest benefit is you get to eat all the time :).

schpreck

If you are training to go roadracing, the key is to LOSE weight.  If you do any resistance training, do alot of low weight- high rep work.  That way, you won't really put on muscle mass, but you'll burn off the fat.  Muscle is much more dense/heavy than fat.  Do alot of cardio.  ALOT of cardio.  Drink more water than you really want.  The key is to be strong, but not big (and heavy.)  Also, STRETCH every day.  Especially before you get on the grid.  The more limber you are, the least likely you are to be injured in case of a crash.  (Take the time while you're stretching to go over the track in your head, too.  That really seems to help me.)  Diet is also key. Just eat the stuff that Mom told you to.

Super Dave

I'll agree with eliminating carbs.  You will loose weight, your body works more efficiently using fat as energy.  Sure, you can work out.  There are obvious benefits.  But getting you to fuel your body correctly with proteins and substantially less processed carbs, and drink tons of water, will make a big difference.

I've got two kids, a wife, a job, racing, school to teach, along with baby sitting my instructors and racing students.  I have very little time to breath.  Converting yourself to a low, or just a lower, carb diet will help one be more "even" in physical performance.  

You really have to try it.  Give your self three weeks on it to get a real feel for it.
Super Dave

pmoravek

If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area...come see me at Fitness Resource in Oakton Virginia. I'll get you a Treamill, or bike, or something so you can excersize while you're watching Speedivision ;)

Pete Moravek
CCS #212
703-980-2297

*** RACERS DON'T PAY RETAIL ***

Ripper

Pete, which bikes do you use for training,R6,GSXR,ZX-6???Ican't figure out where you put the T.V. screen thou.

Rip..............per

oh344ccs

Alot of people are telling you to drink lots of water, try only water.  If you drink 4 cans of soda a day that's over 1k calories.  Just drink water 0 calories. This is the easiest part of a diet to stick to.  After about 2 weeks soda and sugary drinks will actually taste bad.  Other than that don't make any massive changes to your diet all at once, or you won't be able to stay on it.  A diet for a month, that you don't stay with won't mean :-X.
As for working out, be sure to start slowly, the first time I triied lifting light weights it was so easy that I over did it a bit, sore for a week.